GR2120 First Impressions

/ GR2120 First Impressions #11  
Don't both rear wheels have power when going straight ahead?This is how I understood it to work but I may be wrong.If the GlideSteer disengages the inside rear wheel when turning,wouldn't power return to it when going straight?If so then I don't see where diff lock would be needed as it can only be used when going straight ahead anyway and both wheels already have power.Correct me if I am wrong.

That is correct. So, if a diff lock was activated, and the front wheels were turned, I don't know what would happen to the rear axle unlock connection, or the front wheel push rods, but I cannot imagine it would be good. Philip.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #12  
Well guys, I stand corrected. I was not aware that the GR2120 was 4wd (how did I miss that?). The description below from Kubota's website fully describes what you are saying. I guess the GR2120 IS the perfect mower.:D

Kubota said:
TORRANCE, Calif. -- Kubota Tractor Corporation (KTC) introduces the all new GR Series garden tractor with Glide Steer, a revolutionary and innovative technology that is an industry first. Developed with advanced engineering, Glide Steer technology is a combination of a four-wheel drive tractor and the maneuverability similar to a zero turn mower. Glide Steer technology will give customers the two most important features they are looking for, traction and maneuverability. Equipped with the same advanced technology found in Kubota tractors, the GR Series with Glide Steer technology rises to a class above all other garden tractors.

The GR tractor traveling in a straight direction is in All Wheel Drive. When starting a turn, Glide Steer is engaged. The inside rear wheel begins to track freely, thus enabling a tight turn while preventing damage to the turf. The front wheels can turn an incredible 70 degrees, much more than other garden tractors in the marketplace. By employing the unique Glide Steer, the GR Series can easily and efficiently cut grass in the tightest areas and rough mowing conditions are effortless with All Wheel Drive traction.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #13  
Ok, that explains why you wanted a diff lock or left and right brakes. Yes I think it is the perfect mower! It is 4WD. It is really front wheel drive, then depending on the angle of the front tires, as controlled by push rods (cables on older units), it propotionally disengages the inside rear drive wheel. Here is a better way of explaining it. Philip.

Attachments

• glide steer.pdf
    511.5 KB · Views: 266
   / GR2120 First Impressions
I think the GR2120 is the best mower for my property which has a lot of slopes to it.If my property was flat I would have a zero turn but I feel the FWD of the GR is safer on slopes,especially when mowing across them.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #15  
I also think the GR is the best machine for my property. However I had the original GR2000 that I had zero problems with until I service it last January. Then I researched all of the information on the GR's and found mine needed the $3000.00 upgrade. The dealer and Kubota worked with me and I had the transmission upgrade done for $1300.00. It was suggested to me that If I wanted a beefier tractor that I should go with the BX model. That suggestion sent me spinning because I took really good care of a machine that I was going to have for a long time.
The way I can explain it is with the BX you sit in the tractor in the seat. With the GR you sit on the seat on the tractor.
I bought a BX1860 48" w/fel w/150 hrs for $8000. And tried to sell my GR. After a month I had them both for sale because I didn't need both. I ended up selling the BX for a good profit and brought my GR home and settled on keeping it. However during the selling process I had an interested party that called and wanted the GR. I sold it also. I now have none. I am looking for a new Kubota but just can't see why anyone would buy a GR for the price they are asking. I like the GR but for the same $ you can buy a BX.
NOW I found a newer BX1860 54" w/fel w/88 hrs and he wants $9500. Its brand new and the loader has never been taken off. I find myself leaning towards this BX mainly for the price and trying to justify it even though it is plenty of tractor for me. I think the GR's should be priced better compared with the BX. Oh well!

/ GR2120 First Impressions
I agree that the GR is priced plenty high but that is what you have to pay if you want one.As for the BX I have had two new BX tractors that I have mowed with.Strictly for mowing I prefer the GR although the BX is more comfortable.You can do more tractor work with a BX but I only plan on using the GR for mowing.I don't think I would want to put a snowblower on a GR even though it is an option.They just don't look to me like they are built to do heavy work.If you want one tractor to do everything,including mowing,the BX is a good choice.As for pricing there is quite a difference where I live.The after tax difference between the GR and the BX2360 that I previously bought new was 4200 dollars, and I ordered the BX with no loader valve to save money.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #17  
I also think the GR is the best machine for my property.

Guess you should have kept it then.

However I had the original GR2000 that I had zero problems with until I service it last January. Then I researched all of the information on the GR's and found mine needed the $3000.00 upgrade. The dealer and Kubota worked with me and I had the transmission upgrade done for $1300.00.

Sounds like you had a fine machine. Maybe you should not have done the upgrade. Maybe you should have done the upgrade and kept it for more seasons of zero problems. Tough decision you had to make.

It was suggested to me that If I wanted a beefier tractor that I should go with the BX model.!

May not have been such a great suggestion.

The way I can explain it is with the BX you sit in the tractor in the seat. With the GR you sit on the seat on the tractor.

I have a GrandL and a GR. I sit on both. Each has their job, and they do it well. I do not follow your explanation here???

I now have none.

Bad decision making. Better luck with this next purchase!

I am looking for a new Kubota but just can't see why anyone would buy a GR for the price they are asking.

I bought one in July, perfect tractor for me. Guess you should have kept yours.

I like the GR but for the same $ you can buy a BX.

Not true, BX is several thousand dollars more. I toyed with buying a BX, but it was more money and tractor than I needed for the task at hand.

I think the GR's should be priced better compared with the BX. Oh well!

I agree, but they sold me a GR, and many other people, so the market must support the price.

I hope this next purchase is your last. Sounds like you take good care of your equipment, have received some questionalble advice, and made some decisions you want back. Can't help you with those, you have to make and live with them.

Good luck! Philip.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #18  
Yeah, You are right on all points. The suggestion of a BX was from a mechanic that works on Kubota. I thought his insight was "internally driven". His comments and body language several months ago prompted my interest and started me looking. I guess if you don't want to find anything then you might as well not look for it.
I will decide today on the Used BX but maybe after a visit to my dealer.
Thanks for your comments.
The GR2000 was a 2005 early model. It was showroom condition when it left. After the transmission was done the only thing I pointed out to the buyer was the headlight tabs on the hood that broke and I had to modify them. I ordered a new hood but they told me the tabs were built the same as the original so I decided not to purchase it.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #19  
Thanks for the wake up. I decided not to buy the BX1860 even though it was a good buy. I am looking at a GR to replace the one I just sold. After much thought and getting back to earth the GR is the right unit for me and my yard. I found a GR with 174 hrs and the blade comes with it for $3400. whew!