GR2120 First Impressions

/ GR2120 First Impressions #21  
I went to look at this 2007 GR2000 yesterday, I drove hours to get there and this "Garage Kept" "Like NEW Condition" was a big disappointment. I felt bad for the son that was trying to sell this for his widowed mother. However he had not a clue on how to present something to sell. I won't even get into all that was wrong with it.
You need to remember just last Friday I sold my 2005 GR2000 with twice as many hours on it and twice as clean for $3600.00 I didn't even make an offer. They wanted $3400. It is worth $3400 to them but I knew what my machine looked like and this was far from it. Oh well.
On the way back I stopped at two Kubota dealers and called two others and there just aren't many used Kubota's. Actually none.
The dealers you do call have used machines on their website but when you call them they mysteriously have none but want to sell you a knew one. Hmmm!
DSC_3022.jpg DSC_2733.jpgDSC_3016.jpg
I'll keep looking.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #22  
Aren't they 4 wheel drive, except when turning, when the glide steer kicks in?
Has anyone modified the discharge flap, so you can lift it while mowing when the extra space is needed?

/ GR2120 First Impressions #23  
Aren't they 4 wheel drive, except when turning, when the glide steer kicks in?
Has anyone modified the discharge flap, so you can lift it while mowing when the extra space is needed?

Yes, they are all 4WD, then as you turn, the inner rear wheel clutch proportionally disengages. See attachment.

This is how I modified my discharge chute.

Philip.

Attachments

• glide steer.jpg
    glide steer.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 336
  • tractor right 02.jpg
    tractor right 02.jpg
    998.9 KB · Views: 432
   / GR2120 First Impressions #24  
This is how I modified my discharge chute.

Philip.
Not quite what i have in mind. Think I'll just put a eye bolt in it and use a string. Cant think of anything else right now...

/ GR2120 First Impressions #25  
I know this has been asked before but does anyone know if Kubota makes a mulching kit for a 2012 BX1860 w/54" deck (not fine cut).
This has been answered in the past but I have found none that are current and want to know if one is available.
I had one for my GR2000 w/48" deck but since I have stepped up to the BX1860 54" I can't find any concrete advice.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #26  
I know this has been asked before but does anyone know if Kubota makes a mulching kit for a 2012 BX1860 w/54" deck (not fine cut).
This has been answered in the past but I have found none that are current and want to know if one is available.
I had one for my GR2000 w/48" deck but since I have stepped up to the BX1860 54" I can't find any concrete advice.

Try calling your local Kubota parts department. They will even tell you how much it is. Philip.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #27  
Well....I may as well throw my .02 cemts in. I had a GR....05' vintage. Had nothing but trouble with it so I traded it in on a BX at 239 hours. Kubota DID put the transmision upgrade in at no cost to me, but I still had issues with the power and cut quality. It had plenty of power but was not able to get it to the ground. The tranny was very "weak"...espically in reverse. Even after it was fixed it started leaking again (but not from the axle shafts this time). I have to mow trversly across a slope and the cut was very poor at best (54" deck). The BX on the other hand has a perfect cut on the same slope.

I enjoyed the GR for some things and it was without a doubt more manurvable then the BX, but the bottom line was that they had some serious design flaws in the transmission....oh...and the glide steer cables....I had to replace them due to a design flaw....Kubota went halvseys with me on that.

The mower absolutly had the potential to be a really good machine. I hope they got all the kinks worked out before you guys got yours. Good luck!

Chris

/ GR2120 First Impressions #28  
I have 25 hours on mine and it's working smoother now. Suppose it's broke in now. Getting ready to pickup my filters and fluids on my next trip to the USA (cheaper there) and will do the service after my last time cutting grass for this year. Even if i dont have 50 hours on it. Attach the blower and wait for snow.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #29  
Pete6114,
Keep us updated on the progress with your GR2120. Several of us are a little gun shy from the original GR models. I never had any troubles with my "05" GR2000. My dealer went out of business in 06 or 07 so I never got any of the bulletins on the concerns for the transmissions in the earlier models. I figured what I didn't know didn't hurt me. It is a great tractor.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #30  
I bought a BX1860 w/loader a month ago because I felt it was a step up from my GR2000. It was, but really for mowing I needed to get use to the BX fast because light wheel spinning was creating several muddy spots around some trees I mow on a hill. With the GR you didn't have that because all the wheels were driving. And if you kept the BX in four wheel drive all the time then you end up pushing the tractor on turns and causing more turf damage.
I tried selling my GR for a month to justify keeping the BX, however after several close calls I listed both of them on Craigs. Then out of the blue a man called about the BX, came and bought it for my asking price.
I agree the seat could be better. I have had my GR2000 since 2005, it's showroom condition but yesterday when I went to mow, I took two TYLENOLョ afterward. The way I explained it to my wife was with the BX1860 you sit IN the seat and IN the tractor. With the GR you sit ON the seat ON the tractor.
Does anybody have any suggestions or answers for a more comfortable ride on the GR. I would even spend the money to put a BX seat on the GR.

I just finished a cheap spring suspension mod on my GR2000.I have the B series seat which is thicker and that helped some over the stock seat but,it still rode like a rock.Didn't realize how bad it was till I got a Simplicity with a spring seat.Kubota actually advertised these first gen tractors as having a suspension seat.So,a while back I ripped the framework up to see if I could find it.There it was-a parallelogram hinged apparatus with a 3/4" solid rubber block in between-basically worthless.I tried some things like springs and a small inner tube instead of the rubber block but it just didn't suit me.So,I got to looking at it yesterday and come up with this;

A length of flat bar 3/16 X 2 wide fastened to the seat subframe with 10-24 tapped screws,then bolted 3" long by 2" diameter straight seat springs with 5/16" bolts.

Bought some vinyl covers to go over the springs from McMaster-Carr.I weigh around 240 and have an inch or so riding height before bottoming out so that should make a big difference.About 25 bucks invested.