GR2120 First Impressions

/ GR2120 First Impressions #1  

kcender

Platinum Member
Tractor
GR2120 B2650 Cab
I just finished mowing for the first time with my new GR2120.All I can say is WOW,I should have bought one years ago.As I mentioned in another thread I have been mowing with a B2620 that I purchased new a few months ago.I wasn't happy with it's mowing performance for a variety of reasons but the main problem was turf damage when making turns.After trying a few things to make it better,I gave up and got the GR.Strictly from a mowing point of view there is no comparison between the two.What was taking me two hours and forty minutes to mow I did in one hour and fifty minutes.This is my first time, so the time will probably be reduced further with more usage.Mowing around objects is now effortless whereas before I was doing a lot of three point turns.The deck also gives a nicer cut,the deck seems to stand the grass up better.The increased vacuum of the deep deck also picks up old grass clumps and chews them up whereas the 2620 would just drive over them.I found with the 2620 I was using a lot of overlap to try and clean up the previous pass,I don't have to do that now.As far as stability on side hills,I am sure you could roll this tractor over but it would take a lot.It is the most stable tractor that I have used.I have one area where I have to mow down a steep slope for about ten feet and then turn to the left quite hard and mow down another slope.This is the only tractor I have ever had that doesn't leave damage in this area,I was quite impressed.Because of the short wheelbase it follows the ground closely and leaves less high and low spots in the grass from elevation changes.Fuel consumption also seemed very good with it still showing full after mowing at WOT for just under two hours.The tank seemed to be down an inch or so from where I started.Another thing about this tractor is that I was mowing in patterns that I never did before because it was too hard to follow the terrain,now it seems easy.If I was to nitpick,two things I would like to see are a more comfortable seat and a little bit higher top speed but really I am more than happy with the tractor the way it is.One thing I do find odd is that there is no way to free wheel the tractor,that I am aware of.Sometimes if I only want to move it a few feet in the garage I have to start it up to move it.Most lawn tractors have a rod in the back you pull to disengage the transmission.I have added a couple of pics even though they all look the same.

Attachments

• P1010384.jpg
    P1010384.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 835
  • P1010387.jpg
    P1010387.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 1,030
  • P1010392.jpg
    P1010392.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 1,993
   / GR2120 First Impressions #2  
Glad to hear your enjoyment with the new GR2120. I cannot believe the turning radius myself. I do wish the steering wheel would tilt, but it is doable. What are those decals on the front of the hood? Dealer advertisment? Those have to come off. Good luck! Philip.

Attachments

• DSCN0038.jpg
    DSCN0038.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 796
   / GR2120 First Impressions #3  
Your probably lucky you didn't get one a few years ago. I bought a GR2110 and after three warranty visits to the dealer in 80 hours of service, last being the front drive shaft and bearings had to be replaced, I traded on a BX2660. I agree with you on the turf damage. The BX causes much more damage. Maybe I should have waited a couple of years.

/ GR2120 First Impressions
Your probably lucky you didn't get one a few years ago. I bought a GR2110 and after three warranty visits to the dealer in 80 hours of service, last being the front drive shaft and bearings had to be replaced, I traded on a BX2660. I agree with you on the turf damage. The BX causes much more damage. Maybe I should have waited a couple of years.

I know there were some problems with the older GR models but I am hoping most of those have been sorted out,only time will tell.My last mowing tractor,before the B2620,was a bx2360 with a fine cut deck.This is basically the same deck as on the GR and both give a nice cut in my opinion.I liked the BX for mowing but it wasn't as manuverable as the GR and would cause turf damage if you weren't careful.I would put it's mowing capabilities somewhere between the GR and the B2620.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #5  
I bought a BX1860 w/loader a month ago because I felt it was a step up from my GR2000. It was, but really for mowing I needed to get use to the BX fast because light wheel spinning was creating several muddy spots around some trees I mow on a hill. With the GR you didn't have that because all the wheels were driving. And if you kept the BX in four wheel drive all the time then you end up pushing the tractor on turns and causing more turf damage.
I tried selling my GR for a month to justify keeping the BX, however after several close calls I listed both of them on Craigs. Then out of the blue a man called about the BX, came and bought it for my asking price.
I agree the seat could be better. I have had my GR2000 since 2005, it's showroom condition but yesterday when I went to mow, I took two TYLENOL® afterward. The way I explained it to my wife was with the BX1860 you sit IN the seat and IN the tractor. With the GR you sit ON the seat ON the tractor.
Does anybody have any suggestions or answers for a more comfortable ride on the GR. I would even spend the money to put a BX seat on the GR.

I just took some measurements and it looks like the seat on my B2620 would bolt onto the GR2120.At the very worst you may have to slightly alter the holes in the GR seat base.The seat on the 2620 looks to be the same as the one on the BX2360 I used to have.One problem is the 2620 seat is thicker so it would increase the feeling of sitting ON the tractor.Also these seats are quite expensive from what I recall.Some members on TBN have priced the reclining seat for the BX2660 at around 800 dollars.The seat off a BX 70 series would probably fit as well but I would assume they would be quite costly.They are the same seat as was on my previous L3240 and are quite a bit nicer than the seat on the GR.So the seat on the GR could probably be improved upon but it would be costly and create a higher riding position.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #7  
   / GR2120 First Impressions #8  
The only thing the GR2120 is missing is a differential lock. If it had that or even split rear wheel brakes, it would be about the perfect mower. Kubota has gone to a wet clutch PTO and GlideSteer power steering, but a differential lock or split rear brakes would help tremendously on uneven ground. I'm thinking it would also be a handy feature when using the optional front plow blade or snow blower too.

/ GR2120 First Impressions #9  
The only thing the GR2120 is missing is a differential lock. If it had that or even split rear wheel brakes, it would be about the perfect mower. Kubota has gone to a wet clutch PTO and GlideSteer power steering, but a differential lock or split rear brakes would help tremendously on uneven ground. I'm thinking it would also be a handy feature when using the optional front plow blade or snow blower too.

I think the diff lock or split brakes would interfer with the Glide Steer mechanism, resulting in broken parts. Philip.

Don't both rear wheels have power when going straight ahead?This is how I understood it to work but I may be wrong.If the GlideSteer disengages the inside rear wheel when turning,wouldn't power return to it when going straight?If so then I don't see where diff lock would be needed as it can only be used when going straight ahead anyway and both wheels already have power.Correct me if I am wrong.