Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice?

/ Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #1  

skeeterbug

Tractor
Kubota B2920 MMM, FEL, BX1860 mmm, Fel
I checked on a Mulch kit for this BX1860 I will be getting. I spend a lot of time in the fall with leaves. A dealer along time ago talked me into a mulcher for my GR because I told him I spend equal amounts of time collecting leaves as I do cutting grass. I also found myself running around to blow the leaves off my yard. With the mulcher it grinds them up more.
Will a mulcher on the BX 54" deck work as well as one did on my GR 48" Deck?

Deck RCK54-23BX
Baffle kit - Part Number: 70000-70467
Blades - Part Number: 70000-25019 NEED THREE

Thanks to Jordan at Messicks

Last edited:
   / Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #2  
yeah... dont bother with it:thumbdown:

/ Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #3  
I have a GR2120 with the 54" deck on it and I installed the mulching kit on it last year. It really works great, so good that I didn't remove it for even the heavy mowing in the spring. I did get a set of gator blades for it and am very happy with them. The 21hp diesel on the GR2120 handles the load very well. I would think that the 1860 should be close.

/ Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #4  
Instead of buying a mulching kit for my BX, I made steel plate that covers the side opening of the mower deck. This prevents all the grass and leaves from being blown out the side and mulches them very well.

/ Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #5  
I had the kit on my BX and it sucked. Clogged up. It also cut the lift way back so the cut suffered big time. Best thing I did was remove it.

I built a OCDC http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...g/280364-building-mower-chute-blocker-bx.html and run Oregon Gator Mulcher blades, and that improved the performance. I usually run with the chute open, unless im near the house or somewheres else I want to control discharge

With the GM blades it cuts every bit as fine as the mulch kit and has more lift so the cut is more even.

IMG_4749_zpsb2cbd771.jpg

/ Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #6  
008.jpg009.jpg007.jpgHere is the chute blocker that I made, it's not as fancy as Scooby's but it works great for mulching leaves.
It's just a piece of heavy sheet metal with a piece of angle iron welded to the top. I then welded two short bolts to the angle iron. Those bolts act as locating pins for the two holes the are already on the top of the deck.
The blocking plate just drops down into the those two holes and the plastic deflector, which is spring loaded, holds it in place.

/ Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #7  
View attachment 334668View attachment 334666View attachment 334667Here is the chute blocker that I made, it's not as fancy as Scooby's but it works great for mulching leaves.
It's just a piece of heavy sheet metal with a piece of angle iron welded to the top. I then welded two short bolts to the angle iron. Those bolts act as locating pins for the two holes the are already on the top of the deck.
The blocking plate just drops down into the those two holes and the plastic deflector, which is spring loaded, holds it in place.

Oops, when I said "plastic deflector" I meant metal deflector. ( I was thinking of another mower).

/ Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #8  
View attachment 334668View attachment 334666View attachment 334667Here is the chute blocker that I made, it's not as fancy as Scooby's but it works great for mulching leaves.
I like that,simple but effective.I will probably make one for my GR2120 to mulch up the leaves in the fall.I had the mulching kit for the 54 inch fine cut deck on my previous BX2360 but never used it as it was a PITA to install and remove.It is basically the same thing for the GR.I really only mulch to get rid of leaves in the fall so your blocker would be ideal for me,easy to install and remove.

/ Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #9  

Interesting idea.

I usually am not trying to mulch. I gave up! But I use my chute blocker to control where the discharge goes, like not into flowerbeds or throwing debris at vehicles or on driveways etc. so mine needs to be enabled and disabled on the fly from the operators seat.

For someone who is only mulching leaves etc. a couple times a year, yours would work great.

/ Mulcher for a BX1860 54" deck any advice? #10  
I saw this on youtube the other night.