Gr2120 Hour Meter

/ Gr2120 Hour Meter #1  

Pete6114

Gold Member
Tractor
F2690(Sold) GR2120(Sold) L3240(sold) B1700(sold)
Got a new GR2120 with 26 hours on it and left the ignition on for 2 days after cutting grass. It's now showing 70+ hours. I know hour meter tampering is normally not supported by anyone, including myself, but this sucks......Only option is to buy a new meter, but that would be the same as resetting the one i have now to where it should be, except it'll start at zero. Either way, I'm showing false hours. Can anyone help with this?
This mower is counting hours with the engine off. Is not right to start with....

Last edited:
   / Gr2120 Hour Meter #2  
Option 1. Unhook hour meter, operate for 50 hours, re-attached hour meter. Option 2. Buy new hour meter, hook to battery for 26 hours, install in tractor. Both options require removing ignition key when engine is off, standard proceedure. Option 3. Wire hour meter to auxillary engine oil pressure switch and battery so hour meter will only accumulate hours if you have oil pressure and voltage across. Sucks. Lesson learned. Philip.

/ Gr2120 Hour Meter
Thanks philip. Think i'll do option 1 and keep track. Then do Option 3 when the hours match.
Just want to add, that i called Kubota and talked with them about my dilemma. They seemed receptive and will get back to me.

/ Gr2120 Hour Meter
They got back to me and said, to buy a new hour meter......Not impressed, and i let them know it.

/ Gr2120 Hour Meter #5  
What did you want them to do?

/ Gr2120 Hour Meter #6  
Understand, but remember, you are the one that left the key on. Philip.

/ Gr2120 Hour Meter
What did you want them to do?
A few things come to mind.
We know this is not the best way to wire the hour meter up and it causes this particular problem. We are considering a change.
Send us the meter and we'll fix the hours.
We are willing to sell you a new meter at a reduced price.
Not really sure what to expect and was hoping they have some kind of help

Understand, but remember, you are the one that left the key on. Philip.
I understand that part and it wont happen again. But it's still not right to design equipment to count hours without the engine running. Must be to save a buck or two.

I was just hoping, they have a way to get my hours to where it should be again, instead of having to count hours for a year, before plugging the meter up again.

Dealers should be able to change the hours. Being told by Both dealer and Kubota to just buy a new meter, kind of surprises me.
Replacing it with a new one is no different then tampering with a old one, that some folks probably do, to show lower then actual hours before selling. Tampering with car/truck odometers is illegal. Apparently that's not the case with farm equipment/lawnmowers and is encouraged.

/ Gr2120 Hour Meter #8  
In my mind, it is only tampering if you are being dishonest. I had a meter quit working on a Deere at the 365 or so hour mark. I bought a new meter, ran it up to 365 hours off a battery in the garage, and installed in tractor. No tampering here, just making things right, and keeps me on my service intervals. No compaining, just got the job done.

The GR2120 is just a simple hour meter. Put power to it, and it accumulates time. It is not ecm driven, so I do not see houw it would be changed or reprogrammed by dealer or manufacturer.

Is this the cheap way to do it, yes. Is there a better way working off a running engine or oil pressure, yes. But this is how it was done and approved. I wish it was different too, but this is how it is, we live with it, or change it.

Sorry, but what is done is done, and I am sure you will not leave the ignition switch on again. Why was that done in the 1st place? Make plan so it cannot happen again. Get a new hour meter and move on with peace of mind (worth more than you think). How much is a new hour meter anyway?

Good luck, Philip.

/ Gr2120 Hour Meter
How did i mange to leave the key on, since it has to be turned off to kill the engine?
Well....when i'm done mowing, i like to keep it idling for a couple of minutes, so i put the brake on and got off the mower. I then released the brake by hand and walked away from it without turning the key to Off. Totally my own fault...not arguing that. Just wishing it wouldn't count hours with engine off.
I wasn't suggesting that everybody that buys a new meter is up to no good, just makes it easy to cheat. All i want is actual hours showing...no more, no less. No clue what a new meter costs.....think i will take Option 1 as you suggested. Thanks

/ Gr2120 Hour Meter #10  
I see. I disabled my seat switch, so I do not have to set my parking brake to warm up or cool down. Also disabled the reverse mow switch to make life more simple. Philip.