Non-Running T1400: 1st cranked but did not run, now won't crank

/ Non-Running T1400: 1st cranked but did not run, now won't crank #1  

sourwood

Tractor
Farmtrac 665DTC, Zetor 7711, Long 460, Long 310, Satoh S370D, Iseki 4100F, Case 380CK, John Deere 420C
I purchased a Kubota T1400, gas version, with hydrostatic transmission. It was supposed to run. Due to a missing battery, I didn't get to hear it run. Mistake, but not a particularly expensive one in this case.

I had an issue where it cranked and turned over, but it would not fire unless you sprayed carb cleaner into the air cleaner.

I was trying to diagnose or even bypass the anti-backfire solenoid. I took the solenoid out, and put a nut in its place. I then tried to crank the tractor. It would not crank, it would no longer even turn over. Nothing at all.

I then tried grounding out the wire the fuel solenoid uses. Still nothing at all. Nothing period when you turned the key.

I then hooked the solenoid back to its wire connector and tried holding the solenoid to a ground spot to see if that helped. It did not.

I then removed the nut I had put into the fuel solenoid hole, and I reinstalled the solenoid and hooked the wire up.

I then tried to crank the little tractor. No cranking.

The only thing that changed is that d*** solenoid- no other variable was altered.

Questions:
0. Anyone got any idea what I did when I monkeyed with the solenoid ?
1. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to bypass the safety switches to make sure I do not have a battery problem ? I tested the battery with a multimeter and load tester and it passed, and I had had it charged up. I'm sure it is not the battery.

2. Is there any way to bypass that doggone solenoid ?

3. I've read there is supposed to be a fuse box. Can anyone tell me where that is located ?

4. Finally- does anyone have the owners manual or service manual in pdf format, or even just a wiring diagram ?

Thank you.

/ Non-Running T1400: 1st cranked but did not run, now won't crank #2  
You have two problems. The first is you're not getting fuel to the engine. Second, now your engine won't crank. The fuel cutoff solenoid has nothing to do with your starter problem. It works or doesn't work, is connected or not connected, but the fuel cutoff solenoid doesn't affect the starter. If your battery is charged and connections are okay, first question is, is your foot on the brake and the PTO disengaged? Seat switch okay? It won't crank otherwise. Turn the key to starting position and check for voltage on the starter's solenoid terminals with a voltage meter. If you've got voltage, it's likely the the starter. If not, there's a short.

Moving along to the fuel problem, possibilities include:

1) old gas
2) clogged fuel filter (or maybe air filter)
3) clogged, stuck, incorrectly adjusted needle valve
4) crud in the carb bowl
5) a fuel cutoff solenoid that's not sucking in the little pin when power is applied
6) clogged fuel jets

Open the drain screw on the carburetor and allow fuel to come out. It should flow in a steady stream. If it does, filter and needle valve are okay. Next, drop the carb bowl and look for gunk. Clean as needed. Take out the adjustment screws and spray it down with carb cleaner and compressed air (best done after removal from the engine).

Insufficient fuel can cause hard starting, erratic idle, low power, backfire, or the engine will simply die when not choked.

/ Non-Running T1400: 1st cranked but did not run, now won't crank
For the record, I had done all of the above.

The starter cranks or not- no, T1400 has a ridiculous fuse and wiring system. Fuses went out- hence no cranking.

Why'd the fuses burn out ? The ****** wiring harness and wiring system, which fed back when I was grounding the fuel solenoid.

So, all you wrote is basic 4 stroke tech, but it doesn't apply, and for anyone who is in the same situation as me, it not's going to help.

If you made the mistake of buying this hunk crap and can't scrap it for what you paid for it, bite the bullet, buy the service manual, find the blow fuses and the bad grounds, fix them, spend $120 to fix the fuel solenoid, and $200 to fix the deck clutch and you'll have in your Kubota almost the amount a Big Box Special will cost, and both them will last 3 months.

I hadn't read the above answer as it was so long after the question, but it was really off base to troubleshooting these tractors. Sorry.