F mower deck question

/ F mower deck question #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
lock pin.jpg

Figure a pic is worth a thousand words.

Changed out my blades on my F mower.

When placing the deck back on the mower, am I missing something or is it a two man job to get the lock pin (description per the deck manual, part "C" per the picture above) back into place?

Made things easy with a 36" 1/2" pipe nipple under the the side of the deck to get leverage to lift it up enough to lock the pin in place, but needed someone else to align the pin in place.

Is this normally what you guys do or am I missing something?

Took the pic months ago figured it would come in handy sooner or later when I had a question to ask:laughing:

Thanks

/ F mower deck question #2  
I've owned/own 3 F mowers. One had a 60" deck and 2 have 72" decks. Two F3080s and one F2680e. y decks have a bar on the front of the deck that removes from pressure clips then hooks into a protruding piece of metal then lift the lever till it locks in a slot. Remove 2 rear pins and the 2 pins holding rear wheels into locked position then lift deck straight up to do all maintenance. Your deck looks different but I've also removed mine a few times and actually swapped decks between different machines by myself so not sure what the issue is. I put my foot under the deck after getting the two main arms hooked up and rock the deck to get pins to lock into into position. There is one pin with a wire retainer that locks the hydraulic arm that hooks to the machine and deck to keep deck from bouncing that also isn't any problem to attach.
What size is your deck? Looks small to me in the pic but can't really tell size.

/ F mower deck question
What size is your deck? Looks small to me in the pic but can't really tell size.

Come on John, it's YOUR old deck:laughing:

What I did prior to removing the deck was lower it all the way it would go so the rear wheels on the deck would hit the ground.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but correct procedure is to remove unhook the deck is the rear pins first (item "C"), and then the set pins (item "D"). Reverse for putting it back on.

I'm doing something wrong because no way I can hook those lock pins in by myself when putting the deck back into "mowing height" (the set pins "D", no problem).

/ F mower deck question #5  
Come on John, it's YOUR old deck:laughing:

What I did prior to removing the deck was lower it all the way it would go so the rear wheels on the deck would hit the ground.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but correct procedure is to remove unhook the deck is the rear pins first (item "C"), and then the set pins (item "D"). Reverse for putting it back on.

I'm doing something wrong because no way I can hook those lock pins in by myself when putting the deck back into "mowing height" (the set pins "D", no problem).

I've never seen this "little" deck in my life or at least in over a year. :D It came off of the F2680 that I had traded last year and then bought the F2680 back with my newer 72" deck. I know I have removed (one time because you didn't want the 72" deck) and raised the 72" decks a few times but I think I put new blades on that deck by lifting it high and hanging it over a bank and crawling under it so guess I never raised or removed it. I took the (your) F3080 to dealer with no deck and they took this deck off of the F2680 they had and put it on your F and then delivered a deckles F2680e to me and I then hooked the deck on the F2680 that came off of your F.
Any way, if you get the D (hyd lift arms) attached then raise the arms with the lever and the deck will (should ) be off of the ground and will rock front to back easily so then get it aligned or into position and insert the C pins. I've had to stand on one of the D arms to get them to drop all the way some times and on the 72" deck they have spring pins that will go into place when aligned. Looks like your "strange" deck has one spring loaded and one not spring loaded.
Try this method and report back.:thumbsup:

/ F mower deck question
Any way, if you get the D (hyd lift arms) attached then raise the arms with the lever and the deck will (should ) be off of the ground and will rock front to back easily so then get it aligned or into position and insert the C pins.

Blades are sharpened, may be a while.

That said, even if I raised the arms up (lifting the deck up), with the "C" pins unlocked, wouldn't the rear portion of the deck still hang to the ground? (part of the reason why I used the pipe nipple to lift it to align it).

Thanks

/ F mower deck question #7  
Blades are sharpened, may be a while.

That said, even if I raised the arms up (lifting the deck up), with the "C" pins unlocked, wouldn't the rear portion of the deck still hang to the ground? (part of the reason why I used the pipe nipple to lift it to align it).

Thanks
You can lift it higher until the entire deck is off of the ground and even if it isn't it's pivoting at the D arms with almost no effort.

/ F mower deck question #8  
Gents,
What I like best about these machines is the ease and speed of the mower deck re & re. The Mid mount on my B7800 was a different story.
Here's what I do Sigarms, (when putting my mower back on the 3680),
I roll the deck into place, then press down on the main arms, slide the 1" pins in, start the engine, , lift the deck slightly, (the 2 read spring pins align right up, no forcing at all), and connect the driveshaft and i'm done.
Dan

/ F mower deck question #9  
Gents,
What I like best about these machines is the ease and speed of the mower deck re & re. The Mid mount on my B7800 was a different story.
Here's what I do Sigarms, (when putting my mower back on the 3680),
I roll the deck into place, then press down on the main arms, slide the 1" pins in, start the engine, , lift the deck slightly, (the 2 read spring pins align right up, no forcing at all), and connect the driveshaft and i'm done.
Dan
I do the same other than where I drop the deck is usually where I pick it back up so I drive the machine to the deck and attach or reattach without having to move the deck.
The D arms position is the same for all decks but his 60" deck (my former "small" deck) is slightly different in a few areas than the 72" decks but the basic principle of attaching arm pins first then lifting to attach the rest of the connections/rear wheel dropping is the same.

/ F mower deck question
Dan

THAT was my issue. Page 9, "Mounting the mower" and God only knows I went right over #3 "Start the engine, raise the mower deck...":eek:

Just bugging me so I tried it this morning, absolutely no problem.