Another G1800 starter thread

/ Another G1800 starter thread #1  

Rich_MD

I have a G1800 that is starting intermittently. I have read the threads here on electrical and starter, and they don't seem to match my issue exactly. When I turn the key to middle position, all the gauges and lights work, and glow plug warms as usually, and when I select start, it sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't. Tonight it was 20 tries before it started, so it is time to fix the problem. I have confirmed it isn't a bad battery, but haven't troubleshot voltages at starter yet.

The DIFFERENCE from the other threads I read is that there is a click at the starter when I select start on the key, even when it doesn't start. I was wondering if that pointed me in a specific direction, like a solenoid? I will clean the wires/ground, check the fuses, and confirm battery voltage at the starter, but the intermittent always makes troubleshooting worse. I do have a WSM, so can troubleshoot if someone points me to the most likely guilty item.

Was hoping someone more knowledgeable would said the click in the starter area means "this particular item" is broken and look there......

Thanks, RIch

/ Another G1800 starter thread #2  
Welcome, Rich!
I'm not really good with electrical problems, but I believe that when the solenoid energizes, it moves a pinion gear to engage the ring gear on the flywheel. At the same time, it closes a high current switch that causes the starter to spin. I'd start by seeing if that switch is closing by checking voltage across the starter terminals. There are others on here much more knowledgeable, who should be along to help.

/ Another G1800 starter thread #3  
I'm no electrician by any means. When I hear a click at starter it's usually low voltage. Comes back to dirty or bad connections. (battery terminals, connection at starter etc.)

/ Another G1800 starter thread #4  
I had the same issue with a G1900. I never was able to find the exact cause of the real issue of it being a safety switch, connector or ??? It was intermittent. I finally installed a waterproof marine starter button connected to the battery cable at the starter and the solenoid post. Now when it acts up, I just press the starter button and it immediately starts. I drilled a hole and mounted the button near the instrument panel. I realize this may be considered rigging, but it works.

/ Another G1800 starter thread #5  
I had the same issue with a G1900. I never was able to find the exact cause of the real issue of it being a safety switch, connector or ??? It was intermittent. I finally installed a waterproof marine starter button connected to the battery cable at the starter and the solenoid post. Now when it acts up, I just press the starter button and it immediately starts. I drilled a hole and mounted the button near the instrument panel. I realize this may be considered rigging, but it works.

I did the same thing with my G1800.

/ Another G1800 starter thread
Ok I finally went to the shop tonight and went through all the wiring. All seemed well. So I pulled the fusible link as it was getting hot during start. I did a continuity check on it and was having trouble as it was so filled up with gunk and grass dust. I checked good, but I had to move the multimeter leads to get it to show good. SO, I cleaned the fuse-able link connection, and the connection the fuse-able link plugged into. After cleaning it, the continuity check was good and immediate. I plugged the CLEAN fuse-able link back in, and all is well!

Who would have thought it could have been a gunked up fuse-able link connection. Happy to not have to tap the starter to get it to running.

Thought I would share as others might solve similar elusive G1800 electrical problems this way.

Rich

/ Another G1800 starter thread #8  
Okay, here is another starter issue with a G1800......my starter will not catch the flywheel. For a time there it would miss on a few cycles but it would alway catch after a few tries. Am I looking at a bad flywheel or is it a starter issue. I live this little tractor and it has been a workhorse for me and the diesel just keeps on chugging away, but I just can't get it started. Any suggestions other than tear it apart and put in a new flywheel. I have tried to rotate the crankshaft by hand to see if I can find a better place on the flywheel to connect. The starter engages but you only hear the starter gear whirring. Unfortunately like most others I am in no position to take it to the dealer or buy a new mower. Thanks.

/ Another G1800 starter thread
Ok, my problem with intermittent engagement of starter is back. I have noticed when turning key to start, the starter doesn't always engage. And I notice the fuseable link is very HOT. Yesterday, it was so hard the plastic connector on the fuseable link melted. I am guessing that means I have something grounding somewhere that is causing a huge current draw, enough to heat up and melt plastic. Does that sound correct?