2013 KUBOTA GR2120

/ 2013 KUBOTA GR2120 #1  

Raber

Tractor
Kubota GR2120
I'd like to share my experience as owner of a year model 2013 Kubota GR2120, bought in June 2013. It now has 32 hours on it.

It replaced a year model 2012 Kubota T2080 that proved ill suited to mow the sloped area that surrounds my house.
The 2080 would go up, but just slide down, due to its front end overweight and rear end only braking capability, a rather frightening experience. For the rest, it was a fine piece of machinery.

When shopping for replacement, I considered the John Deere 500X (2WD, locked differential capability) in a much lower price range. Discarded it for dealer aloofness and after consulting many forums and reviews on both machines. Learned about the transmission flaws of earlier Kubota G series models, but also noted that the company solved the problems (for earlier clients) and on newer models.

Also got false information from sellers on the Net, while trying to buy used. Beware.

The GR2120 mows well, is easy to control, goes up and down slopes at a steady pace and turns on a dime. Fuel consumption (diesel) is low, unlike what is reported in forums about the JD500X, considered to be a guzzler. It easily tow its own weight (800 pounds without the mower) on a Swisher 16cf trailer full of dirt or stovewood. "Glide steer" prevents turf damage and 4WD provides for lots of traction. Seat is comfortable and controls are handy and well designed. The whole machine is well built, sturdy and harbor no cheap parts. Some are complaining about the plastic hood (bonnet); I see it as an advantage, since it will not carve in like metal under inevitable light shocks. Mounting and dismounting of the mower proved straightforward and easy.

As far as maintenance is concerned, grease zerks are easely accessed to, as well as oiling spots. I have not yet changed oil or filters, so I have no comment to provide.

The Kubota GR2120's only drawback is limited capability to back up slopes. It just stops moving. Probably due to a "weak hydro" as some have written about. So, if you need to back up slopes, use attachments requiring significant hydro power or haul a larger weight cargo, consider a Kubota Bx instead. But the price tag will be steeper, as well as the weight you carry around your lawn; from 960 pounds to over 1,500. In my case, with the specific requirements of my property, the GR2120 is just working out fine.

Hope this will be helpful when time comes for choosing the machine that suit your needs.

/ 2013 KUBOTA GR2120 #2  
I bought a new GR2120 last July and feel pretty much the same as you about it.Before it ,I mowed with a BX2360 with a 54 inch fine cut deck.The 54 inch deck on the GR is basically the same.I am/was happy with the cut from either machine.The BX only has two more horsepower but seemed quite a bit more powerful,it seemed to have more than enough power whereas the GR seems to have just enough.The BX has a bigger engine and more torque.My property has many slopes and the GR seems to handle them better with minimal turf damage,a bit better than the BX.The GR also doesn't have a roll bar to get caught up in the trees,but maybe it isn't quite as safe as a BX.For my purposes the GR2120 is the best mowing tractor I have owned and I am happy with it.One thing I wish it had is a two speed trans with a higher top speed.As far as greasing goes getting to the grease fittings on the rear axle can be a bit of a pain.

/ 2013 KUBOTA GR2120 #3  
I purchased a GR2120 in July of 2013 as well. Near +/- 50 hours to date. I have the 48" deck, due to gates, and being able to haul it in the bed of my F250. I am impressed with its cutting power compared to the Deere LX188 I owned previously. With no mulch attachment installed, it cuts high grass with ease. The mulching attachment does a good job, and is used most of the time. I also have the 46" 2 stage snowblower for this model, what a beast, came in real handy with the tough winter we had. The 4wd has been great mowing around our pond, stability, up and down slopes. This winter with no chains, the 4wd worked great while blowing snow. And I always thought hydraulic power steering was silly on a lawn mower, until I got this one. Glide steer = no turf damage, nice. Having the diesel engine option just rounds out one fine mower. Philip.

Attachments

• DSCN4934.jpg
    DSCN4934.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5,151
  • truck bed 02.jpg
    truck bed 02.jpg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 967
  • DSCN0016.jpg
    DSCN0016.jpg
    998.9 KB · Views: 2,146
  • DSCN0038.jpg
    DSCN0038.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,622
   / 2013 KUBOTA GR2120 #4  
I'd like to share my experience as owner of a year model 2013 Kubota GR2120, bought in June 2013. It now has 32 hours on it.

It replaced a year model 2012 Kubota T2080 that proved ill suited to mow the sloped area that surrounds my house.
The 2080 would go up, but just slide down, due to its front end overweight and rear end only braking capability, a rather frightening experience. For the rest, it was a fine piece of machinery.

When shopping for replacement, I considered the John Deere 500X (2WD, locked differential capability) in a much lower price range. Discarded it for dealer aloofness and after consulting many forums and reviews on both machines. Learned about the transmission flaws of earlier Kubota G series models, but also noted that the company solved the problems (for earlier clients) and on newer models.

Also got false information from sellers on the Net, while trying to buy used. Beware.

The GR2120 mows well, is easy to control, goes up and down slopes at a steady pace and turns on a dime. Fuel consumption (diesel) is low, unlike what is reported in forums about the JD500X, considered to be a guzzler. It easily tow its own weight (800 pounds without the mower) on a Swisher 16cf trailer full of dirt or stovewood. "Glide steer" prevents turf damage and 4WD provides for lots of traction. Seat is comfortable and controls are handy and well designed. The whole machine is well built, sturdy and harbor no cheap parts. Some are complaining about the plastic hood (bonnet); I see it as an advantage, since it will not carve in like metal under inevitable light shocks. Mounting and dismounting of the mower proved straightforward and easy.

As far as maintenance is concerned, grease zerks are easely accessed to, as well as oiling spots. I have not yet changed oil or filters, so I have no comment to provide.

The Kubota GR2120's only drawback is limited capability to back up slopes. It just stops moving. Probably due to a "weak hydro" as some have written about. So, if you need to back up slopes, use attachments requiring significant hydro power or haul a larger weight cargo, consider a Kubota Bx instead. But the price tag will be steeper, as well as the weight you carry around your lawn; from 960 pounds to over 1,500. In my case, with the specific requirements of my property, the GR2120 is just working out fine.

Hope this will be helpful when time comes for choosing the machine that suit your needs.

The hydros are a little weak compared to some other brands but,the peddle and linkage can be adjusted for faster reverse speed and more power in reverse.You can shave the bottom of the peddle where it hits the floorboard ,or what I did,throw the factory pedal away and design a different one.It will now go as fast in reverse as forward with full power but do have to be careful and not let the foot slip off the pedal in reverse at full speed as it will stop abruptly and try to throw one off the tractor.

/ 2013 KUBOTA GR2120 #5  
I bought a new GR2120 last July and feel pretty much the same as you about it.Before it ,I mowed with a BX2360 with a 54 inch fine cut deck.The 54 inch deck on the GR is basically the same.I am/was happy with the cut from either machine.The BX only has two more horsepower but seemed quite a bit more powerful,it seemed to have more than enough power whereas the GR seems to have just enough.The BX has a bigger engine and more torque.My property has many slopes and the GR seems to handle them better with minimal turf damage,a bit better than the BX.The GR also doesn't have a roll bar to get caught up in the trees,but maybe it isn't quite as safe as a BX.For my purposes the GR2120 is the best mowing tractor I have owned and I am happy with it.One thing I wish it had is a two speed trans with a higher top speed.As far as greasing goes getting to the grease fittings on the rear axle can be a bit of a pain.

I always lift the the front end up to remove the deck and find that a good time to grease those glidesteer pivot points,turning the front wheels lock to lock to expose them.

/ 2013 KUBOTA GR2120
You make me think that, when I performed the greasing maintenance of the rear end, I had removed the mower. Now, if I had used the Mojack Pro to lift the front end, the task would have even been easier.
Thanks for the reminder and hint to fellow owners.

/ 2013 KUBOTA GR2120
Oh ! This is new to me but I consider your findings quite logical. I probably won't change the setting of that control out of no real need, but some other owner might want to perform such modification. I was a bit surprised that the hydro would be "weak" only in reverse but had not the mechanical understanding you seem to have. Thanks.

/ 2013 KUBOTA GR2120 #8  
You make me think that, when I performed the greasing maintenance of the rear end, I had removed the mower. Now, if I had used the Mojack Pro to lift the front end, the task would have even been easier.
Thanks for the reminder and hint to fellow owners.

I use a chain hoist to lift the front high enough to roll the deck out the front,then back the tractor up,roll the deck back and lift the front of it up with the hoist for cleaning,mulch kit changing and blade sharpening.My back won't handle these 200 lb decks anymore.Another thing I do is remove the driveshaft at the front instead of the back,marking both with a dab of white paint for realignment assembly.

I will add that I do remove the driveshaft from the hydro a couple times a year.Much easier when there's no deck in the way.I clean and grease it good,because if you don't,it can set up vibration harmonics that trashes the bearings of the shafts that it attaches to.

Last edited:
   / 2013 KUBOTA GR2120 #9  
Oh ! This is new to me but I consider your findings quite logical. I probably won't change the setting of that control out of no real need, but some other owner might want to perform such modification. I was a bit surprised that the hydro would be "weak" only in reverse but had not the mechanical understanding you seem to have. Thanks.

A lot of the newer tractors are really slow in reverse.Safety issue.These tractors are physically limited by the rear of the treddle pedal hitting the floorboard.

/ 2013 KUBOTA GR2120 #10  
IMG_1809.JPG
I also have a 2013 Gr2120 with 54 inch deck . Mow in a woods with a lot of up and down hills. The mower handles the hills nicely , never spinning going up and not sliding down . Sips fuel and mows my thin grass with ease in the woods . was nicely surprised when I took it down by the road and mowed where the state hadn't mowed all summer. Grass was about 16 inches high and the Kubota mowed it with the same ease it mows my yard, My old Gt5000 sears would have had trouble with it. Only complaints I had were not being able to mow in reverse ( than told how to engage mowing in reverse ) and no front bumper. I adapted my Gt5000 bumper to it for my own satisfaction . No , I don't fly around recklessly , but I feel better protecting that hood .