ZD331 amperage draw and lighting...

/ ZD331 amperage draw and lighting... #1  

5030tinkerer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3830/GL5030
I am going to be adding some lights to my ZD331 - the brighter, the better. The ZD331 It has a 14 amp dynamo. The light kit from Kubota consists of two halogen bulbs, likely 55w, meaning that some Kubota engineer thought that a 110W additional load was acceptable.

Any idea what the maximum combined wattage I can run for lights would be? 110W @ 12V is 9.16 amps. Assuming the dynamo actually outputs somewhere closer to 13.5 volts, that is only 8.15 amps for the 110 watts.

What I am tempted to run is a pair of 18W LEDS for rear lighting (Amazon.com: 2x 4" 18W 6 CREE LED SUV Off-road Boat Headlight Spot Driving Fog Light + Mounting Bracket: Automotive) combined with a 126 watt light bar (Amazon.com: Eyourlife 126W 12600LM Led Off Road Light Bar Flood Spot Combo Beam- 42pcs*3w high intensity LEDS: Automotive), but this comes in at 13.5 amps at 12V and 12 amps at 13.5 volts. I don't want to kill my dynamo or my batteries, not that I would likely be running with all of these lights on at once very often and not that I would be running with all of these lights on at idle for any significant time at all.

What I don't know is:

1. whether the 14 amp rating is a cold at speed rating (like they do with alternators),
2. whether dynamo's produce the same output at lower RPM's as at higher RPM's, and
3. whether 'pushing' the high dollar dynamo to its limits will shorten its life or have no impact.
4. what the amperage draw of the ZD331 is WITHOUT any lights

Thoughts? I could always drop down to a 72W light bar, but I really like the lumen output rating of the 126W bar.