Kubota G1900 Transmission question

/ Kubota G1900 Transmission question #1  

jabr1319

Tractor
g1900s
Over the weekend I was doing some end of season cleanup when I stopped the mower to pickup some kids toys that were in my path. While I'm off the mower I hear an awful clanging sound and immediately shut down. I turn back on and immediately hear the same clanging. Metal on metal coming from below the center console/foot area. I'm also now unable to accelerate/reverse so I shut down again and curse away...

Today I removed the seat and fender (surprisingly easy) and saw the culprit. The pin joint must have fell out and the yoke became disconnected from the grooved shaft that goes into the rear hydrostatic transmission assembly. Identifying the problem has been the easy part so far. I'm finding that the assembled yoke's and rod are about 1/4" longer than i need them to be in order to easily reassemble everything and put a new pin in to hold it all back together.

I'm wondering, do I need to disassemble one of the cross joints in order to get this put back together? I have the parts diagram, and that process looks possible from the diagram, but looking at my tractor it doesn't look too easy to remove the clips that hold that assembly together.

Has anyone had to go about doing this before? Any tips? Below are a couple shots of the parts diagram and a photo of my setup.

Thanks,

Josh

g1900transmission.JPGIMG_6300.jpgIMG_6301.jpg

/ Kubota G1900 Transmission question #2  
Is the splined part with 3 bolt holes easily bolted up (to the crankshaft pulley) after the rest of the shaft is assembled?

/ Kubota G1900 Transmission question #3  
Take off the splined adapter ,3 bolts, on the engine end of the shaft it will give you more room to install the rear. Then slide the adapter into the front U joint and bolt back up to the engine. It will be tight you might have to loosen the engine mounts and move it around to get the adapter back on. Make sure you grease all splines.

/ Kubota G1900 Transmission question #4  
Take off the splined adapter ,3 bolts, on the engine end of the shaft it will give you more room to install the rear. Then slide the adapter into the front U joint and bolt back up to the engine. It will be tight you might have to loosen the engine mounts and move it around to get the adapter back on. Make sure you grease all splines.

This is how I did it when I replaced my U joints. I did not have to do anything with the motor mounts.

/ Kubota G1900 Transmission question
Thanks all for the suggestions. The fix I went with was to remove the 4 motor mount bolts and to yank the engine forward 1/4". This gave me enough room to reconnect everything. Getting at the 3 bolts on the spline adapter seemed like it would be more of a challenge than tugging on the engine and hoping I could move it enough to get things connected again...my not so scientific reasoning. Greased everything while I was under there. Now I'm just waiting on my $30 pin to arrive so I can finish reassembly and get it back into production. As far as fixes go, I'm not interested in having to do this one ever again. :duh:

/ Kubota G1900 Transmission question
So the new #$@!*% pin fell out again. Thankfully the spline didn't become detached this time, but I'm not going to run it until I fix again. The $30 pin didn't appear to be anything special, so I'm going to replace with a $.50 part from home depot...but I'm wondering why the **** it fell out again? I used a cotter pin to hold it in. WTF!