The Z122rkw just caught my attention!

/ The Z122rkw just caught my attention! #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Hearing that there is a new Kommander Z122rkw. Saw a bit on a few sites and not much info yet. But this is appealing to me. 42in deck which should be me the maneuverability I am looking for. I guess too new to find a review. If anyone has thoughts or more info than on the Kubota website than let me know. I think I read it has a Kawasaki engine and I am a fan of those having a close to twenty year version in my old Deere lawn tractor.

/ The Z122rkw just caught my attention! #3  
Was about to buy one of these from Barlows (Around $3800) but bought a used BX1500 instead because I needed it for a steep yard or son in law does. Z and steep is not a good/safe combo. I had also moved up to the next size due to larger tires and had a B&S engine which was not a plus for me.

/ The Z122rkw just caught my attention!
Was about to buy one of these from Barlows (Around $3800) but bought a used BX1500 instead because I needed it for a steep yard or son in law does. Z and steep is not a good/safe combo. I had also moved up to the next size due to larger tires and had a B&S engine which was not a plus for me.
I'm putting in sloped lawns in between terraces. Making as much of the area rideable and will resign myself to pushing the steep areas.

My question is how steep can a Z handle? Especially this model which has a narrower track than the other Zs.

Went down to my local Kubota dealer today to sit on it and ask a few questions. They are selling like hotcakes. They sold two 42in deck model today. They are bringing in more tomorrow. I did sit on the Z122EBR 48in deck. The difference is the 42in has a 21.5hp Kawasaki air breather, and the 48 has a 22hp Briggs & Stratton air breather. The 42in deck is two blade, 48 three blade. I am preferential to the Kawasaki (great experience on my old JD lawn tractor) and the smaller mowing width. My concern is the side slope ability between the two but the salesman told me the 42 is a little narrower axle, and smaller tires (18x7.5 vs 22x10), so you sit a bit lower so he says it is a wash. I want to see them side by side so another trip tomorrow.

The other difference is there is 'introductory' pricing on the 42in at $3899 vs. $4500 for the 48in. I think the maneuverability is biggest key for me since I have lots of trees tight turns and smaller patches of lawn vs. a big wide open large pasture. I will skip the bagger and just buy the mulching kit for $200. The other good news is the 0 down, 0 interest is good on the $3899 price so we are talking $122 per month for 3 years.

Anyone else look at them yet? Opinions?

/ The Z122rkw just caught my attention! #6  
I switched from the 42" to the 48" due to size rubber on the ground for traction and not side stability and then switched to the BX1500 for the 4wd diesel plus SIL doesn't have an additional tractor so this is his only mowing machine and has some steep areas.
I mentioned my concern about B&S to Steve Barlow and he said they have had no issues with them and they are supposed to be a 3000 hour engine. :confused3:

Well JT, I took the plunge! Went for the 42in. Right size if not overkill for my property. Played on the hills after getting the feel of it. Quite responsive. My neighbors yard slopes gently at the bottom and gets steeper as you come up the hill to his house. I was able to find out its limitation by traversing his lawn and as I worked up the hill found about what I could handle without sliding sideways and forcing slip to stay parallel to the slope. One thing that is great is if you start to get a little squirrely traversing the slope, you can quickly 'zero turn' and point it down hill. Worked great!!! Got plenty of power to go up steeper than it can handle. I did make a gutsy charge straight up the hill and had a bit of a chill when the fronts came off the ground and thought I was going to tip backwards just before I crested. Definitely know my limit on climb now. I might actually play around with putting some weight across the front fender for a little more control... not sure how that will affect the side slope traversing so will be testing some more.

First pics...

IMG_5077.JPG IMG_5076.JPG IMG_5073.JPG IMG_5078.JPG

Neighbor was so impressed on how much more I can get to than his old craftsman rider and how much it will save push mowing. His wife even told him he should get one with out any prompting or him saying a word. You should've seen the grin on his face when he told me what she said... first a little context... he is 80 years young and she is probably 5 years behind him. She said that their son and wife will probably take over the house when they are gone and 'they will need a good mower'.

She even brought me out a beer when I came up to say hello! Good day to be a friendly neighbor. Love those two! :drink:

/ The Z122rkw just caught my attention! #8  
Well JT, I took the plunge! Went for the 42in. Right size if not overkill for my property. Played on the hills after getting the feel of it. Quite responsive. My neighbors yard slopes gently at the bottom and gets steeper as you come up the hill to his house. I was able to find out its limitation by traversing his lawn and as I worked up the hill found about what I could handle without sliding sideways and forcing slip to stay parallel to the slope. One thing that is great is if you start to get a little squirrely traversing the slope, you can quickly 'zero turn' and point it down hill. Worked great!!! Got plenty of power to go up steeper than it can handle. I did make a gutsy charge straight up the hill and had a bit of a chill when the fronts came off the ground and thought I was going to tip backwards just before I crested. Definitely know my limit on climb now. I might actually play around with putting some weight across the front fender for a little more control... not sure how that will affect the side slope traversing so will be testing some more.

First pics...

View attachment 421373 View attachment 421372 View attachment 421371 View attachment 421374

Neighbor was so impressed on how much more I can get to than his old craftsman rider and how much it will save push mowing. His wife even told him he should get one with out any prompting or him saying a word. You should've seen the grin on his face when he told me what she said... first a little context... he is 80 years young and she is probably 5 years behind him. She said that their son and wife will probably take over the house when they are gone and 'they will need a good mower'.

She even brought me out a beer when I came up to say hello! Good day to be a friendly neighbor. Love those two! :drink:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Love reading about someone going forth and spending that filthy lucre or committing to spend it in order to have a more enjoyable life. :cool2: One of the purposes of working is to be able to obtain some of the small pleasures of life after family obligations are fulfilled.
My neighbor bought a zero turn when he built his house and going up the steep bank behind his house made him a non zero guy when the front end on his came up like yours. He then bought a Cub Cadet mower course watching me mow on my BX2200 MMM FEL. This went on for a couple of years till he showed up with a BX1800 MMM one day then a few years later the BX1800 disappeared and a BX2350 MMM FEL showed up and he's kept it for several years now but he keeps eyeing my Fs and has discussed trading his BX to an F a few times with Barlows but just hasn't pulled the trigger......yet. :D
Be safe and let your neighbor try your Z before he buys. He may not be a levers guy after so many years with a steering wheel :eek: and he might need to be steered toward a small BX. My brother tried a Z last year going wide open full pedal from the get go (the way he is) and I should have made a video of him dodging tractors as he bounced all over the lot flying by.......he stuck with his steering wheel Husquavarna rider.:D
Again, congratulations and go forth and cut grass, safely.:drink:

A couple mowings under the belt and couldn't be happier. Only complaint, and it's not the Zero-turn's fault is that I should have groomed the terrain better before seeding. It is a bit of a bumpy ride in some areas that I didn't manicure much.

/ The Z122rkw just caught my attention! #10  
If I was going to mow up hill and had a problem with the front end rising off the ground or a concern it might I would explore some way of adding weight to the front end to prevent one of those short's cleaning rides. :laughing: