Cleaning fuel tank out-G1800S

/ Cleaning fuel tank out-G1800S #1  

Branchchipper

Silver Member
Any tricks out there for getting a bit of black diesel goo out of my G1800 fuel tank? There are apparently a few blobs in there that won't run out the bottom end fuel line connection nipple when I change fuel filters. Fuel filters turn black soon after being changed, and clog about once a year instead of the once in a blue moon that was the norm since the machine was new. I filter all fuel that I put in the tank, so this stuff probably just "grew" in there over the years. I don't want to take the tank off the tractor and shake/flush it out unless there is no other option.

/ Cleaning fuel tank out-G1800S #2  
I'm going to assume your G1800 tank is similar to my G5200 tank - under the seat with the fill hole at the top?
If I had to clean any gick (technical term) out of the bottom of the tank, I'd:
1) Drain the tank.
2) Jury rig a fuel line from the bottom of the tank to a collection pail.
3) Get a cheap-o paint brush & cut the bristles to about 1/3 to 1/4 length, so they're good & stiff.
4) Attach the brush handle to a piece of dowel/round stock, etc. - long enough that you can easily reach the bottom of the tank thru the fill hole.
5) Use an LED head lamp, so you can see inside the tank while you're cleaning it.
6) Scrub the bottom of that tank with the (now) long handled brush, using diesel fuel algaecide in what ever flavor suits you.
7) Keep at it until the fuel algaecide that is coming out of the jury rigged fuel line & collecting in the collection pail runs crystal clear.
Treat you fuel with biocide on a regular basis.
Good luck and let us know how you tackle this job!
-Jim

Last edited: