GR2120 vs. BX1870

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870 #1  

kubota4me

Silver Member
Tractor
An orange one
Here's my scenario...have a L4400 with bush hog for really heavy stuff but lack a finish mower for tighter areas. Have 16.4 acres of prairie and some woodland. L4400 has performed admirably. I have a large fenced in garden with fruit trees and Aronia bushes and the L4400 is just too big in the garden and close to the house and it has shorter grass. Saw my dealer yesterday and he wants to order me the GR2120. After reading some articles on the internet yesterday, I called him and told him I was waivering between the GR2120 and the BX1870. He tried talking me out of the BX for several reasons. He said the BX doesn't turn tight like the GR does. He said both are similar in price but the BX doesn't include a deck which costs about $2000 extra??? I don't need a loader, but I do want a dependable tractor or mower.

Has there been a lot more issues with the GR than the BX? Is the turning circle a problem or that much wider on the BX than the GR and would that be a huge factor in an area with semi dwarf fruit trees? Is the build quality that much better with the BX?

The dealer pointed out that I would be giving up 3 horsepower with the BX but that doesn't sound like much. I'm not interested in spending more money for a BX2370. Just comparing the GR2120 with the BX1870. Thanks for your comments and insight that will aid me in my decision making!

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870 #2  
I've owned several BXs, Bs, Fs an L and now a zero turn with second zero turn being picked up tomorrow but I've never owned a GR model so have no first hand experience with it.
I am trading my well maintained inside kept F2680e 160 hours 72" deck with around 50 hours on it (the deck). The F MSRP is around $21,000 and Barlows will have this one for around or under $10,000 and I'd recommend it to my mother and have to several people I now. If mowing on oher than steep hillside is what you want it will be far far better than the BX or GR your considering. Sorry to post a reply that isn't what you were asking about but an opportunity like this doesn't come along very often.

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870 #3  
I have a GR2120 and a MF GC2300. The GR can turn a lot tighter than a sub compact.
Only has one range and should not be towed. Cuts grass very well and is all wheel drive.
Does not have a ROPS.
Have the dealer let you try one, the turning radius is very small.

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870 #4  
I have a GR2120 and a MF GC2300. The GR can turn a lot tighter than a sub compact.
Only has one range and should not be towed. Cuts grass very well and is all wheel drive.
Does not have a ROPS.
Have the dealer let you try one, the turning radius is very small.

Do you mean it should not be used for towing...or that the tractor should not be towed?? Can't think of why you would tow it but I sure can think of why a person would want to use it to at least tow a small lawn trailer??? Thanks Tom R

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870 #5  
When i bought my GR, i too was made aware of the minimal price diff. between those two machines. Knowing that I'll never have the need for a optional FEL and all i needed it for is to cut grass, i went with the GR and i do recommend it by the way!
I recently been thinking of trading the GR for a F series mower, like the one JOHNTHOMAS in the post above is offering, but it wont happen for me. You may want to check into Johns offer, even you're only interested in the two mentioned! Why? Well, it's a whole diff. level of a mower!!! You never said how much grass you have to cut, but the more there is, the more sense a F series makes. Only issue could be the rollbar for cutting around trees and i believe you're sitting higher on it then a GR too.

PS. Taildragon ment that the tractor should not be towed!
Being discussed in this threat below and applies to the 2120 too
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-lawn-garden/182342-moving-gr2100.html

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870 #6  
Thanks Pete...I did see that there is some type of "release" button down under the transmission that allows some level of forward movement. Tom R

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870 #7  
I wish there was a "rod" that you pull, like in older mowers and are able to push it around without having to start it up. I looked yesterday where that "release" is....found it alright but cant get my finger in there to push it easily and let it be....probably would need a screwdriver to press it up. I imagine the pressure, once running would close it on it's own, but am not sure on that either.

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870 #8  
If you can currently squeeze the L4400 into the area to be mowed, I foresee no problem with the BX1870. The initial cost maybe more than the GR but the increased versatility of the BX should offset the initial cost. A departed member of TBN owned a GR and he if memory serves reported one time the GR did not like being used to tow with. I still miss that members input.

Here is a good discussion on the GR vs BX. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-first-impressions-2.html?highlight=kubota+gr

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870 #9  
I tow a 12x7 trailer (empty) from my shed, up to the driveway when i need it with my GR without a problem at all. Also pull my oversized (full of water) lawn roller and have no issues. I'm sure it has it's limits and isn't really made for towing anything other then a small lawn trailer though.....

/ GR2120 vs. BX1870
Thanks for your informative posts. I went another route and purchased a new BX2670 with 60" mowing deck, valve controls and no loader. Dealer sold me up on horsepower which I agree.....if you need more you have it, but if you need more and don't have it to begin with....well, thats another story.

I will be cutting all native prairie grass and some weeds. I will knock the prairie grass down once with the hog and use the 2670 after that. Big Bluestem and Indian grass can reach heights of 6-8 feet tall. I bought mostly because of a strong frame in a subcompact machine/mower. It has turf tires on it. Hope they work out.