Hi - Kubuto 1880 ride on mower - need help

/ Hi - Kubuto 1880 ride on mower - need help #1  

Heidi7

Tractor
Kubota 1880
Hi all,

I've joined on behalf of my parents, who have a Kuboto 1880 ride on mower, and have a problem with it. I hope someone can help solve their problem...

The key won't fit into the ignition, so they can't start the mower. It was working yesterday. They left it outside in the rain last night - so that may have led to the problem.

I've tried putting WD40 on the ignition, in case the rain water had caused the key shafts to stick together, but that made no difference. I've done a basic check of everything else and it all seems to be working ok.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers - Heidi

/ Hi - Kubuto 1880 ride on mower - need help #2  
G'day Heidi and welcome to TBN.

I'm not familiar with your lawn tractor, however I'll make a few suggestions.

Sometimes on motorcycles there is a key-lock feature that effectively prevents an ignition key from being inserted... it's activated by either a magnetic-insert (that's on the opposite end of the key) or there is a physical push-switch that needs to be operated as you insert the key.

Another culprit could be due to accumulated vibration which has physically loosened the ignition so that the key will not fit all the way in or has broken an internal part of the ignition. That would make it feel as if something is jammed in there.

Here's the people to call in Tassie to help out: Tasmania Farm Equipment Pty Ltd - Branches

Best of luck.

/ Hi - Kubuto 1880 ride on mower - need help
Hi, thanks for your welcome and suggestions.

I've tried to find any push switch type thing on the mower, but can't see one. However, I think your idea about the accumulated vibration could be right - we'll check it out.

Thanks again!

Happy silly season to you!

Cheers - Heidi

G'day Heidi and welcome to TBN.

I'm not familiar with your lawn tractor, however I'll make a few suggestions.

Sometimes on motorcycles there is a key-lock feature that effectively prevents an ignition key from being inserted... it's activated by either a magnetic-insert (that's on the opposite end of the key) or there is a physical push-switch that needs to be operated as you insert the key.

Another culprit could be due to accumulated vibration which has physically loosened the ignition so that the key will not fit all the way in or has broken an internal part of the ignition. That would make it feel as if something is jammed in there.

Here's the people to call in Tassie to help out: Tasmania Farm Equipment Pty Ltd - Branches

Best of luck.

/ Hi - Kubuto 1880 ride on mower - need help #5  
Hi, Heidi. Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to the Kubota lawn and garden section to see if someone over there knows. Hopefully we can get an answer for your parents.

/ Hi - Kubuto 1880 ride on mower - need help #6  
Hello, Heidi, and welcome. Did you make any progress with the ignition issue? I tend to agree that it's most likely an issue related to vibration. If you need to use the mower it's a fairly easy procedure to "hotwire" it on a temporary basis until you get the ignition sorted out.

Good luck! Jeff