Kubota Series F Questions

/ Kubota Series F Questions #1  

retiredwill

Tractor
NH TC 33D. International 1086.
I have been reading with great interest all of the very positive comments regarding the Kubota F Series mowers. I currently have a Kubota ZD 21 and seriously thinking about upgrading to the F Series, most likely the F2690 unless I can be convinced that Kubota has worked out the DPF problem(s) with the F3990. My preference would be the 60 or 72 inch RD deck. I contacted a Kubota dealer yesterday and he was trying to convince me that side discharge is the way to go. He said that RD works decent under ideal conditions but when the grass is just a little damp the clippings will stick to the tires and after a few rotations roll off the wheels like a sheet of paper which according to him makes the lawn look very unsightly. Has anyone experienced this? The other question I have is regarding the HP (25.5 for the F2690). I think there is a current trend to just stay below 26 HP to avoid dealing with Tier IV issues and associated costs. Regarding the F2690, does anyone think that this model with the 72 inch deck could be underpowered to handle certain situations such as long and/or damp grass. I know many of you have the older F Series machines with 30+ horsepower. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

/ Kubota Series F Questions #2  
You need to hear from JOHN THOMAS as he has owned about every Kubota made by now.

/ Kubota Series F Questions
I have read many comments made by John. I was hoping he would comment on my questions.

/ Kubota Series F Questions #4  
JOHNTHOMAS will tell your rear discharge. I like the idea of rear too, do to blowing into trees/landscaping, and wind blowing the discharge back on you. BUT, John is the only one that doesn't seem to have issues with rear discharge. I bought what came up for sale, and have a side discharge F3680 72".

I've ran the side discharge for one full season. It's my intention to put on a grass chute blocker, probably grass flap, this year, and I feel it will solve the side discharge problems. Once I get that on...think I preferred the side over rear. BUT, never mowed with rear, so my opinion is just that.

I had a 26hp ZD326 with 60" deck prior to this....I think it would have issues with a 72" deck, since I get into taller stuff on occasions. It handled the 60" deck very well though.

/ Kubota Series F Questions #5  
According to "my" dealer, a 70 MMM is of no issue with the F2690, although i got the 60 SD since i dont really need a 70. He also recommended the SD over the RD, and I'm very happy with it. He also STILL dont sell the F3990 and advises against it. Apparently had to replace a bunch of F3990's he sold to the City with F2690's last fall because of all the problems they had with them.

/ Kubota Series F Questions #6  
We have been mowing for 11 years with 61 inch Grasshopper Diesel with rear discharge mulching deck and wet grass sticking to tires has not been a concern.
Yes, some wet grass sticks occasionally no big deal, but you should not be mowing too wet anyway!

I would have much bigger concern with the side discharge chute sticking out to the side - it probably would have fallen off long time ago :rol

My Kubota F3060 is work in progress so I can not comment on that yet, but we will have it in service this summer - it does have 72 inch rear discharge deck.
I bought it to get a the 4x4, bigger wheels and 72 inch deck.

Attachments

• P1010079.JPG
    P1010079.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:
   / Kubota Series F Questions #7  
I have been using my F2100 for 26 years with a side discharge 60 inch mower. It is 20 hp and has lots of power. I have seen the same machine with a 72 inch mower that worked fine. Side discharge works great. I have a 84 inch rear discharge finish mower for my MX5100 and its nice but doesn't leave the grass as clean.

/ Kubota Series F Questions #8  
I bought one of John's F series which has the rear discharge. Honetsly, other than taking out the leaf blower to clean up the grass clippings that gets accumulated under the body of the mower, I haven't had any issues.

I don't really manicure my lawn, and I don't really mow when the grass is wet (that machine is heavy and God only knows how I'd dig up the law with a ZD LOL), but the cut looks fine even if I start early in the morning with dew still on the grass.

I do know if I let the grass get really tall in some areas, the one thing I like about the rear discharge is a quick second pass and it really seems to mulch the grass to the point where you don't see any clippings. Compared to my older side discharge, even in medium height grass, the F RD seems to mulch the grass better.

/ Kubota Series F Questions #9  
I have been reading with great interest all of the very positive comments regarding the Kubota F Series mowers. I currently have a Kubota ZD 21 and seriously thinking about upgrading to the F Series, most likely the F2690 unless I can be convinced that Kubota has worked out the DPF problem(s) with the F3990. My preference would be the 60 or 72 inch RD deck. I contacted a Kubota dealer yesterday and he was trying to convince me that side discharge is the way to go. He said that RD works decent under ideal conditions but when the grass is just a little damp the clippings will stick to the tires and after a few rotations roll off the wheels like a sheet of paper which according to him makes the lawn look very unsightly. Has anyone experienced this? The other question I have is regarding the HP (25.5 for the F2690). I think there is a current trend to just stay below 26 HP to avoid dealing with Tier IV issues and associated costs. Regarding the F2690, does anyone think that this model with the 72 inch deck could be underpowered to handle certain situations such as long and/or damp grass. I know many of you have the older F Series machines with 30+ horsepower. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

My first F was a F2680e 2wd with 60" rear discharge deck which I bought about 8 years ago. Used it for 5 years and wrote it off as business expense. Meantime I bought a F3080 4wd 72" rear discharge for home hillside use. I traded the F2680e to another F3080 4wd 72" side discharge (got sucked in by the side discharge pushers) and hated, hated the side discharge for several reasons. Grass blowing all over me, grass clumping, grass blowing on outside AC units, clumping on base of house, hitting stuff with side chute, not being able to mow close with either side and more reasons. I offered my first F3080 for sale to get rid of the side discharge deck. Sold it and the buyer asked if he could trade the 72" new er side discharge deck to Barlows for the 60" rear discharge deck due to gate width and Barlows agreed to trade with him. I then bought the F2680e back with the neart new 72" side discharge deck which the F2680e handled with no power problems on normal to some what higher than normal grass. Shortly there after traded the F2680e with hated side discharge deck to a ZD326 insisted on rear discharge deck which I've now used for one year and don't cut weekly or even biweekly. The F is no doubt better for the open areas but the Z is better around the 21 rental units on level acres. Cutting time is about the same with the Z faster around the units but slower than the F on the open areas and the Z isa rougher ride even with both having the weight adjustable seat. Did I say I hate the side discharge decks? I had to insist my dealer get me a rear discharge deck for my Z and glad I did after using it with no issues for a mowing season.
I've also had a couple of rear discharge decks behind my Kubota tractors and also really liked them while also having a Kubota BX1500 MMM for around the buildings at home.
Yes, I prefer 100 to 1 the rear discharge deck over the side discharge deck after 12 years using them both on tractors and F mowers. To me it isn't even a decision to consider, especially after getting one in between the years and finding out why I left the side discharge world for the rear discharge world. It's also not just me. Look at the other owners of Fs on the Lawn and Garden posts.

/ Kubota Series F Questions
Thanks for all of the replies to my questions.