Suggestions for greasing driveshaft zerks?

/ Suggestions for greasing driveshaft zerks? #1  

sandalwood

Silver Member
Tractor
L5460 Kubota
I have a F3080 and am going through spring maintenance for greasing. I am having trouble getting at zerks on main driveshaft (pic below).

Driveshaft.JPG

For rear driveshaft, I simply jacked rear wheels off the ground and turned them until zerks accessible.

For main shaft, even with transmission in neutral (and brake off), couldn't seem to turn shaft freely. Suggestions?

Thanks

/ Suggestions for greasing driveshaft zerks? #2  
How difficult is it to drop the shaft out to inspect and lube? My main drive is pretty easy to get out and check the u joints and lube.

/ Suggestions for greasing driveshaft zerks? #3  
Bump the engine over( with key) to rotate the shaft, Make sure mower is secure.
It is a pain to get under there

/ Suggestions for greasing driveshaft zerks? #4  
I just park in on some level grass and back crawl underneath.

If they aren't lined up for good access, I just get up, start the mower up, drive 3 or 4 feet and repeat step one until they are:)

Keep in mind, I'm not the brightest bulb in the shed,

/ Suggestions for greasing driveshaft zerks? #5  
I hit my ZD while it is on the trailer, lot easier to reach it up off the ground.

/ Suggestions for greasing driveshaft zerks?
Ended up removing plate between radiator and seat (see pic, item #2) which allowed me access to mid-shaft and front u-joint zerk.

Plate.JPG

Got lucky with rear u-joint as it was accessible.

I have a set of Lincoln grease gun attachments, including one which allowed access to zerks at slight angle.

Overall, I think I got lucky with position of zerks this time. Didn't look at potential to drop the shaft and access the zerks that way.

/ Suggestions for greasing driveshaft zerks? #7  
I have same issue with drive shaft on my GR2120. Tried the turn engine on/off strategy several times, zerk never lined up. I went to NAPA and got a 90 degree slide on end for gun. Works perfect, just greased my drive shaft this weekend. Just swap out ends on grease gun when needed. Philip.

/ Suggestions for greasing driveshaft zerks? #8  
I just slide under the machine to see how they are oriented, then say if they are at 90 degrees to the ground then I just lift the hood and turn the flywheel slowly by hand enough to point them to the ground. Then slide back under and grease them.