Gr "-2" series...What's new?

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new? #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
Title pretty much says it all. I have searched in this subforum but have not found anything talking about it. I know there have been some problems in past versions. Did they fix them here? What is really new? Thanks!
-Dave

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new?
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new? #3  
I read a post someplace about changes to the new GR a week ago. Cant recall where but i'll post it when i find it again. If i find it.....May not have been on this site.

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new? #4  
Here is what someone posted on another forum

"Directly from Kubota Corp:

" The GR2120-2-54 & GR2120B-2-54 replaces the GR2120-54 & GR2120B54 models, with adding a muffler shield. The GR20 Series has been upgraded to include rod steering, a hydraulic PTO clutch, and improved transmission, providing greater durability. "

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new? #5  

" The GR2120-2-54 & GR2120B-2-54 replaces the GR2120-54 & GR2120B54 models, with adding a muffler shield. The GR20 Series has been upgraded to include rod steering, a hydraulic PTO clutch, and improved transmission, providing greater durability. "

Does this mean that they have eliminated the "glide steering" that they seemed to sell so hard? I believe the glide steering was one of their "issues" from a reliability standpoint?

Improved "transmission"...I assume this is a Kubota transmission? Difficult to judge how much "greater durability" it may have? Not sure why they insist on a proprietary transaxle when "most" others use Tufftorq and/or Hydro-gear. Even the $10K+++ JD 7xx Series uses a ToffTorq with good success.

Would be nice if they would truly make this a JD 7xx competitor...it only is equivalent "in price" right now...not features or quality...or reputation. TMR

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new? #6  
Does this mean that they have eliminated the "glide steering" that they seemed to sell so hard? I believe the glide steering was one of their "issues" from a reliability standpoint?

Improved "transmission"...I assume this is a Kubota transmission? Difficult to judge how much "greater durability" it may have? Not sure why they insist on a proprietary transaxle when "most" others use Tufftorq and/or Hydro-gear. Even the $10K+++ JD 7xx Series uses a ToffTorq with good success.

Would be nice if they would truly make this a JD 7xx competitor...it only is equivalent "in price" right now...not features or quality...or reputation. TMR
I have no answers to that, but i'l stop in at my kubota dealer some time and get the scoop. They'll tell me straight up what they think.....

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new?
Thanks Pete. It would be good to hear the straight scoop. As for the Glide steering, they are still touting it as a feature, so it is probably that they improved the design to reduce or eliminate the problems they have seen in the field. Or at least one would hope so...

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new? #8  

Wonder what rod steering is? My 10 yr old GR still has perfect,precise steering.The hydraulic engagement on the pto is nothing new.I think that has been on all 2020/2120 models.

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new? #9  

Don't know about others but,Im still satisfied how the Glidesteer works.Only had one cable break and after the redesigned cable mounts were added have had no problems for the last 6 years. The Glidesteer concept allows positive MFWD advantages and very tight turning with no front end push to rip the turf. The alternative would be a hydraulic driven front axle which likely costs more.

When I bought mine 10 yrs ago the Deere was around 4K higher on the street price and Im sure it still is today.So,you can't say that's equivalent.

/ Gr "-2" series...What's new? #10  
Don't know about others but,Im still satisfied how the Glidesteer works.Only had one cable break and after the redesigned cable mounts were added have had no problems for the last 6 years. The Glidesteer concept allows positive MFWD advantages and very tight turning with no front end push to rip the turf. The alternative would be a hydraulic driven front axle which likely costs more.

When I bought mine 10 yrs ago the Deere was around 4K higher on the street price and Im sure it still is today.So,you can't say that's equivalent.

Thanks Locknut...you are correct...the 7xx Deere series w/AWD does price out $3-4k higher. It does seem like I have read a number of very disappointed GR owners stories. Also, my Kubota dealer essentially does not sell them...steers customers to the BX series. AWD and a Kubota diesel for under $10K is pretty competitive. Glad to hear from a "happy GR customer". May have to take another look :) ...Thanks...TMR

P.S. Do you mow much uneven or rough ground? What about grass/weeds that may be quite tall...say 12". I borrowed a used BX from the dealer and it handled the tall material quite easily...I attribute part of that to the torque of the diesel? BTW...do you have gas or diesel? Thanks...TMR