Starter Issues ZD

/ Starter Issues ZD #1  

NC419N

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2670 Kioti NX5510C Ford 3000 ford 4500TLB Ford 9N Farmtrac 555DTC New Holland 1720 New Holland 2120 Kubota BX22 Kubota ZD1200
I have a ZD21 purchased new like 10 years ago no problems that stand out until the last year. I have had 3 starters on this machine all Genuine Kubota. Went out yesterday afternoon and guess what will not engage again. Am I the only person that this is happening to??

/ Starter Issues ZD #2  
Have you bench tested the starters? If the starter won't engage that could be low voltage to the solenoid. This will prevent the starter from engaging.
Measure the voltage at the solenoid. If below 9 volts that may be the reason the starter will not engage.
The fix is a relay installed to send 12v directly from the battery to the solenoid.

/ Starter Issues ZD
Already did that upgrade. Just dont understand why the original lasted for so long and the replacements (all Kubota )are failing.

/ Starter Issues ZD #4  
That is strange so many starters failing. My starter is 13 years old and 1400hrs on the machine. No issues.
Have you checked the alignment of the starter gear to the flywheel gear? If to tight a fit it will not engage. May have to shim the starter out a few thousandths to get the clearance.

Have you spoke with Kubota?

/ Starter Issues ZD
Kubota has been the party that has been changing them. Maybe that is the problem?? I am going to purchase another starter independently and experiment with it. Running a mower short during this growing season is a real pain:thumbdown:

/ Starter Issues ZD #6  
What is failing on the starter? Is it disengaging after starting. Maybe as stated before its fitting too tight or there is an electrical issue that is holding the starter in the engaged position.

/ Starter Issues ZD
What is failing on the starter? Is it disengaging after starting. Maybe as stated before its fitting too tight or there is an electrical issue that is holding the starter in the engaged position.

So here I am back almost exactly a Year later at the same spot. New Kubota starter from Messick's zero to no problems until 2 weeks ago turn key to preheat (glow light off) and click click click then start. I Think battery low old what ever replace then the same click click click then start's. This goes own for a week then last night its click click click click no start for long time finish weed eating blowing etc and finally get it to start.
I have spare new rebuilt kubota starter that I'm going to put on tonight buy why did the "original" last for years and years and now this this????

/ Starter Issues ZD
Put new rebuilt starter on no clicking starts right up. 1 year replace starter at 275.00 don't understand why original new last 10 +

/ Starter Issues ZD #9  
I’m with kuboman in being curious as to what is actually failing on the starter. Have you been able to disassemble one to see if it is pitting on the slipring or corrosion somewhere else?

/ Starter Issues ZD #10  
I’m with kuboman in being curious as to what is actually failing on the starter. Have you been able to disassemble one to see if it is pitting on the slipring or corrosion somewhere else?

Maybe in the last 2.5 years since the last post to this thread, they have resolved the problem and moved on.

Agree that it would be nice if the Original Posters learned to close the thread with the resolution.