Kubota ZD323 No Start

/ Kubota ZD323 No Start #1  

GreenGuy23

Tractor
Mahindra 5035, 2x John Deere 210
Good Evening! I went to pickup my new-to-me Kubota ZD323 from my grandparents house. Unfortunately it wouldn't start at all. The lights on the panel would come up with I turn they key, but that is about it. There was a ticking sound that sounded like it was coming from the diesel injection pump when I turn the key on (not pushed forward to start, just leaving it in the on position).

I did hook up the battery charger while I was out there and the ticking sound intensified, however when I turn the key I got nothing. It doesn't even sound like the starter is attempting to engage.
I brought the battery home and it reads about 12.66V. If I attach the Harbor Freight battery tester with the multimeter, it reads about 10.2V with loaded added (after 3 or 4 seconds).

I am wondering what to try to get it started. Battery bad? Something else?

/ Kubota ZD323 No Start #2  
Kubota's are known to have a lot of "safety" features.. seat belt not engaged, drive lever not in neutral, start shaking levers while holding the key in the start position.. you might find a sweat spot.

/ Kubota ZD323 No Start #3  
Sounds like a dead battery. It should read 12.8-13.2 volts fully charged. If it has sat a while depending on the battery you may need to add distilled water. I have found when it goes dry it usually is not far from having a dead short in one cell. A new battery is pretty cheap peace of mind rather than having to continually mess with it.

/ Kubota ZD323 No Start
It did it a couple of times over the summer. Usually clicking the key on and off fixed it. I also moved the handles around when playing with the key so maybe that was getting it in the sweet spot.
I was thinking the battery was flat. When I turn it to start the starter never engages. The lights on the panel go dim/off. The only thing I heard was a constant clicking sound from what looks to be the injection pump. I wouldn't think that to be electronic? I am going to take my good charger out there tomorrow and see if I can get it to start. My good charger had the 20 amp start. Hopefully it is just a battery. Tractor supply had them for about $90. This is a Decka battery. Looks to be original.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will report back.

/ Kubota ZD323 No Start
Alright. It's starting and on the trailer. Thanks for your help.

The battery needed some help with the charger. Someone also parked it with the blades on. So after shutting off the blades and then jumping the battery it fired right up.

The ticking sound is coming from the fuel pump. I stopped by the Kubota dealer this morning to pickup a manual. They said it was the fuel pump making the clicking and it was normal.

Thanks again!

/ Kubota ZD323 No Start #7  
Many pieces of power equipment will hit small issues with wiring after five years of life. Many times it is as simple as cleaning ground connections or looking for wire connections that are the problem. More of a pain in the butt then anything as they can take some time to isolate the exact problem that often is right in front of us!
We are into major stupid control with all the electrical safety switches and they are the most common failure points for starting or machine control.