New Kubota ZD 1511-72

/ New Kubota ZD 1511-72 #1  

sunnyside360

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 3720, JD 4320, JD 835R, Kubota M4D-071, Kubota ZD1511
Looking at upgrading to a new Kubota ZD 1511-72 mower which just came out end of last year. It has the Kubota DPF diesel particulate filter and I have no idea if this is negligible, good or bad thing. Anyone have one of these and relate their experience?

/ New Kubota ZD 1511-72 #2  
I've been comparing those to the 1211-72. The local dealer here as two 1511s on the lot. It's an inline turbo 4 with DPF. The mower is a monster. He said they've not sold any yet so he has nothing good or bad to say about them. The DPF canister sure extends the rear. The mower itself is about 300 lbs heavier than the 1211. The 1211 seems to be a real hotrod. I test drove one and it was smooth and quiet - I was impressed.

Any reason why you'd want the 1511 over the 1211? How does your 331 pull the 72" deck? The 1211 is detuned so I'm sure it could be turned up after warranty.

The non-negotiated price on the 1211-72 was $15.3k and the 1511-72 was $19k.

/ New Kubota ZD 1511-72
I've been comparing those to the 1211-72. The local dealer here as two 1511s on the lot. It's an inline turbo 4 with DPF. The mower is a monster. He said they've not sold any yet so he has nothing good or bad to say about them. The DPF canister sure extends the rear. The mower itself is about 300 lbs heavier than the 1211. The 1211 seems to be a real hotrod. I test drove one and it was smooth and quiet - I was impressed.

Any reason why you'd want the 1511 over the 1211? How does your 331 pull the 72" deck? The 1211 is detuned so I'm sure it could be turned up after warranty.

The non-negotiated price on the 1211-72 was $15.3k and the 1511-72 was $19k.

Main reason for the 1511 is it has a new air ride seat which would be great for my old 73+ year old bones. Plus, I've got a good price on it with my ZD331-72 trade. Nothing wrong with the ZD331. It has served me well for 8 years.

I think you can get much better prices than what you quoted above if you shop around. The MSRP prices on these machines are ridiculously high.

/ New Kubota ZD 1511-72 #4  
Understood. I asked him about the Grammer seat on the 1211, but it wasn't an option. Yes, agreed. MSRP is crazy on these mowers. This dealer is one of the highest priced in the area, but they're close by for lunch break shenanigans. Tractorhouse seems to be between $13 and $16k across the country.

/ New Kubota ZD 1511-72
I looked at and test drove a brand new just out of the crate kubota ZD1511-72 z-turn mower on Saturday. I was thoroughly impressed with how much better it handled (steering) than my ZD331-72. The engine seems quieter also, but it is a much bigger heavier machine. I spoke to the chief mechanic and asked a lot of questions about the machine especially the DPF emissions system and any issues they've had with other equipment with a DPF system. He was very honest about the Kubota B3350 issues with DPF and said they haven't seen any problems since Kubota Corp got involved and corrected the issues (about a year ago). He did say the temperature inside the DPF filter could reach temperatures in excess of 1000 deg F when doing a regen and to be very careful of the hot surfaces. I am leaning towards getting the ZD1511-72.

Following is a link for more discussion on the DPF emission system.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ml#post4699935

/ New Kubota ZD 1511-72 #6  
I didn't get to hear the ZD1511, but I can imagine the 4 cylinder is a smooth running quiet engine. I was also impressed with the smooth engagement of the steering on the 1211. The Hydro motors were very quiet as well. I'm starting to save my coins for the 1211.

The salesman mentioned Kubota had spent a fortune on the T4 systems. I'm sure the DPF system is getting good and would be easy to get used to.

Please keep us posted if you get the 1511.

/ New Kubota ZD 1511-72
I didn't get to hear the ZD1511, but I can imagine the 4 cylinder is a smooth running quiet engine. I was also impressed with the smooth engagement of the steering on the 1211. The Hydro motors were very quiet as well. I'm starting to save my coins for the 1211.

The salesman mentioned Kubota had spent a fortune on the T4 systems. I'm sure the DPF system is getting good and would be easy to get used to.

Please keep us posted if you get the 1511.

I decided to get the Kubota ZD1511-72 and took delivery a few days ago. It's a little early to be cutting grass -- actually we have about half foot of snow on the ground and it's still coming down here near State College, Pa. I haven't run it much at all but can say the air ride seat is awesome and the engine runs very smooth. It may be a little quieter than the ZD331. Will have to wait another month or so to report much more about the mower.

/ New Kubota ZD 1511-72 #9  
Congrats on the new mower, sunnyside! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You may need a plow on the front of that mower with all the snow you guys are getting up there. It's forecast be in the 20s here in the morn, but at least the white stuff is no where to be seen.

This will give you patience. I'd be itching to cut some grass. Thanks for the update. Be sure to report back after you've collected some grass under the deck.

/ New Kubota ZD 1511-72 #10  
You have yourself a beast of a mower. I love my 1211 so you will love your 1511. Excess power is always a pleasure to have.