f 2690

/ f 2690 #1  

ironpen

Gold Member
Tractor
tn75s, tc33d, mc35, gt65, 6640, 3010s, TS110, TS115, TN70, Massey 5470, Kubota F2690
I am about to pull the trigger on an f 2690. Any hints or things to look out for? Is it powerful enough. Is the HST equipped with a high and low range? Looking at a 72 inch rear discharge deck...thoughts on that?? Reliability good? I would have gotten the 3990 but was scared off by the DPF filter...is that a valid reason not to get that one? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. TIA

/ f 2690 #2  
I currently own a F3080, my second one and previously owned a F2680e (2wd). I also own a L3901 (DPF).
I have no issue with the DPF and have owned many Kubotas pre DPF. I had no lack of power issues with the F2680e and certainly have no lack of power issues with the F3080s. Guess I have about 9 years owner experience with Fs. Best mower going and have owned a couple of Kubota zero turns, not in the same league.
The one F3080 I sold was because it had side discharge deck, hated (hate) side discharge decks. Like rear discharge deck due to less windrowing, being able to get close on either side, grass doesn't blow all over me in slight breeze or strong wind, don't have to watch where "stuff" on one siding is blowing/shooting to. Grass does blow/collect under the F but a cheap electric grass blower will blow it away after mowing.
This is my 2cents opinion after 13 years Kubota tractor (many) ownership and 9 years actual hands on experience with Kubota F mowers with one side and two rear discharge decks. And many, many, many side discharge decks on other mowers.

/ f 2690
John, the HST is dual range isn't it? Thanks for the reply.

/ f 2690 #4  
John, the HST is dual range isn't it? Thanks for the reply.

All I've owned have/had a Rabbit and Turtle speed. Almost always keep it on Turtle and still almost get nose bleed and do for sure on Rabbit speed.:laughing: They are faster than the zero turns which no one can do full out on either except on a paved street/lot and keep their kidneys intact. The F stays true direction when going at speed while the Z is a never ending adjusting of sticks on rougher ground at speed. The 4wd is a mountain goat and will go almost anywhere. Has two 4wd selections along with a differential lock and if all else fails one can lift the deck a hair and it leaps up/over/down and thru almost anything.:cool2:

/ f 2690 #5  
My dealer didn't recommend the rear discharge I ended up with the 60 inch side discharge and like it that way. Also have a snow-blower and never feel like the engine is underpowered.
Nothing bad to say on my F2690

/ f 2690 #6  
My dealer also didn't recommend the rear discharge but he isn't the one using the machine, he just sells them and I use them and pay for them so my opinion was most valuable. I always insist on the rear discharge deck based on my over 50 years experience using both with the rear discharge being used over the past 12 years in rear finish or F front deck mowers. One can and should always like what they have already bought best, especially if they've never tried the other options to have actual experience with the other options to be happy.:):thumbsup::cool2: Love what you've got.

/ f 2690
One other question...how do you adjust deck height? Looks like there are no rear wheels on the deck??? The dealer also recommended a side dischatge. He had no reasoning behind this. I told him I didn't want the extra width and that all my other mowers were rear discharge. His comment was that he just liked them better?? He recommended cutting off the chute if it was too wide. I thought that was rather dumb advice. Help me on the height question. Thanks

/ f 2690 #8  
The machine itself holds the rear of the mower. The deck is ground contact on the front. I have side discharge....no cutting the chute off...it comes off. I've never ran mine with the chute cause I know I'd hit things with it.

/ f 2690
How is the rear adjustment for height performed? Do you have to manually lift the back of the deck? I can't quite get a handle on how that would be done. TIA

/ f 2690 #10  
How is the rear adjustment for height performed? Do you have to manually lift the back of the deck? I can't quite get a handle on how that would be done. TIA

There are hangers with holes at different locations up a metal rod/pin. You can lean on the front of the deck while lifted by the hydraulics and adjust the rods/pins to the same level by removing and reinserting the pins at the same level hole. Really simple and usually only done one time during ownership. The deck hydraulic lift lever gives one pretty good control of deck position when quick/short term adjusting is needed.