Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy

/ Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy #1  

sunnyside360

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 3720, JD 4320, JD 835R, Kubota M4D-071, Kubota ZD1511
With a little over 25 hrs on the new Kubota ZD1511-72, I decided to check fuel use. The mower is averaging 0.893 gph. This compares to an average of 0.658 gph on the ZD331-72 which I traded for this unit. The ZD1511 uses 35% more diesel fuel but it is running at maximum rpms and mows my 6+ acres faster than the previous ZD331 which ran at approximately 75% throttle. It definitely takes less time to mow my yard with the ZD1511 but I don't believe it is 35% less time -- maybe 10 to 15% less time. So, the net is around 20 to 25% more fuel usage on the ZD1511-72. Additional fuel is likely due to the larger 4 cylinder engine besides supplying fuel for the regen process.

I'm posting this info since someone asked about fuel economy on the ZD1511 and I was curious myself. Nevertheless, I still much prefer the new ZD1511 with the air ride seat and improved stability/turning on steeper hills.

/ Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy #2  
Thanks for sharing.

I just purchased a ZD1211-60 and I am also curious as to the fuel usage.

Do you know, did your ZD have any regens? If not, then it seems likely your fuel usage will go up a little bit in future calculations.

/ Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy
Thanks for sharing.

I just purchased a ZD1211-60 and I am also curious as to the fuel usage.

Do you know, did your ZD have any regens? If not, then it seems likely your fuel usage will go up a little bit in future calculations.

There were two regens in the first 25 hours which were figured into the above fuel use -- one at 10.6 hrs and one at 21.8 hrs. I'm hoping the fuel economy improves with more hours on the machine.

/ Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy #4  
Seems that is generally the case. Although I've never payed attention close enough on my farm equipment, I do know that both of my diesel pickups got a little better economy until I hit about 20K miles on them. At that point they leveled off. Enjoy the new mower, I love mine.

/ Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy #5  
Sunny,

How did you measure the fuel consumption? I would like to measure my 1211-72 gal/hour but unsure how to get an accurate reading.

Thanks

/ Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy
Sunny,

How did you measure the fuel consumption? I would like to measure my 1211-72 gal/hour but unsure how to get an accurate reading.

Thanks

I store diesel fuel in a large tank with electric fuel pump and fuel gauge and keep a log book to record data for my equipment. At each fillup, I record date, amount of fuel, and equipment hour meter reading. The tank fuel meter indicates gallons to nearest tenth of a gallon.

/ Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy #7  
Beats my diesel tank with hand pump...thanks

/ Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy #8  
No regen is the main reason I went with the ZD1211. I would like the air ride seat. I may see if it is possible to swap and how much it would cost. Is it that much better than the suspension seat?

/ Kubota ZD 1511-72 Fuel Economy #9  
No regen is the main reason I went with the ZD1211. I would like the air ride seat. I may see if it is possible to swap and how much it would cost. Is it that much better than the suspension seat?

I also bought a 1211 for the same reason. The air ride seat would be sweet, but the suspension setup on the factory seat is pretty darn good.