How noisy should F3060 mower be?

/ How noisy should F3060 mower be? #1  

03griz

Tractor
bx1800
My new to me F3060 sounds noisy when the mower is on. Hard to describe the noise, maybe like a pto shaft that is at a steep angle. Disconnect the driveshaft and put the pto on and its quiet, put it back on and remove the belt and it makes the noise, meaning its not the spindles, maybe almost a clicking sound. I replaced one universal on the pto when I bought it because it was a little loose. Other one seems fine. Driveshaft is in time, its keyed.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

/ How noisy should F3060 mower be? #2  
So, your removing the belts and allowing the drive shaft to turn the gear box on the mowing deck and that's when you hear this hard to describe sound? With the engine running and the drive shaft to the deck not engaged do you hear the sound?
Does the center deck blade turn direct from the deck gear box which is straight above it or does the belt drive all three blades?
Does everything seem to work OK and the mowing deck cut good with this "sound"?

/ How noisy should F3060 mower be?
With the belt off no blades turn. The belt runs all three, this means that the gear box is slightly to the left when sitting on the mower. With the deck not engaged there is no sound except of course the motor. Everything work fine otherwise. I have 12 hours or so cutting time. Just doesn't seem normal. Bent PTO Shaft maybe? or again is it normal?

/ How noisy should F3060 mower be? #4  
Wouldn't you feel alot of shaking or vibration if the pto shaft was bent. I would replace the other ujoint on the shaft.

/ How noisy should F3060 mower be? #5  
On my New Holland MC 35 (which is the same layout as my f2690, with deck out front) when this happened, the splines inside the pto shaft were worn unevenly. Replaced the shaft and it all went away and back to normal sounds. Take the PTO shaft off and inspect the splines inside the mouth of where the U joint is and also the splines along the shaft the allow the length to be adjusted. I'll be you find one or the other with abnormal wear. In my case it was along the splines that adjusted the length of the pto shaft. Of course make sure the spindles are all ok and not wobbly at all.

/ How noisy should F3060 mower be? #6  
No one every realizes that a tight U joint never appears to be a worn out joint but may well be in your case.

Dave M7040

noise gets worse the longer you use it. Then next day starts out not bad, worse the longer you mow making me think something is getting hot. Noise is worse when mower is up so I'm thinking pto shaft. I need a friend with the same unit to try my PTO shaft on theirs.....

/ How noisy should F3060 mower be? #8  
noise gets worse the longer you use it. Then next day starts out not bad, worse the longer you mow making me think something is getting hot. Noise is worse when mower is up so I'm thinking pto shaft. I need a friend with the same unit to try my PTO shaft on theirs.....

Are you able to lubricate the pto shaft spline (the one that allows lenght adjustment)?

My F3060 had the spline zerk fitting broken off and had probably not been lubed much. It's somewhat worn but I have not noticed unusual noise yet.

The two "spline couplings" in the rear drive shaft (4x4) were also missing the zerk fittings.

Last edited:
Didn't see grease zerks on PTO SHAFT. I pulled it apart and put grease on splines. Seems to have a spot when you push it together that hangs up like there is a bur on the splines. Noise starts after ten minutes of cutting or so. Sounds a little like a PTO that is at a bad angle mixed with a vibration. Sounds worse with ear muffs on as I guess the lower frequencies are coming through better than the high ones.

/ How noisy should F3060 mower be? #10  
There should be a small threaded hole for zerk fitting in the splined area, but sounds like the noise is not related to the spline.

I think the PTO shaft rotates at about 2500 rpm when the engine runs at the governed speed of around 2700 rpm.