Brought home a 2001 ZD21 today

/ Brought home a 2001 ZD21 today #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
I was hunting for a diesel motor for a generator project, when I came across a craigslist add for a 21hp kubota 3cyl motor with less than 1000 hours for $500. Accessories included an entire zero turn mower and spare set of turf tires.

Turns out the left hydro lost reverse due to the common issue with these mowers of mowing on a hill. Still, everything else worked, including forward on the left hydro. I took it for a brief spin to test functionality of everything. Mowed beautifully, even if it was my first time on a zero turn.

I'd been wanting a zero turn for a while, but $$$$ even for the gassers, unless it was a beat up pile of crap. My 3pt finish mower is a pain backing up, and my crappy craftsman LT1000 is on it's last leg. I couldn't bring myself to scrap a perfectly good mower just for the motor, so I've decided to rebuild the hydro.

Zero deck rust on the 60" deck. Was well kept. R4 tires that I love. Lots of new parts. I'm pretty excited.

Hv6fuyJh.jpg

NVT3ju5h.jpg

wHZEcI9h.jpg

qK3vQkwh.jpg

AO1bBloh.jpg

Attachments

• Hv6fuyJh.jpg
    Hv6fuyJh.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 137
   / Brought home a 2001 ZD21 today #2  
Good luck with your new to you zd

/ Brought home a 2001 ZD21 today #3  
I would definitely repair it for $500.00. I never find deals like that, you'd get 10-15 years service. Looks in really good condition not all beat up for a 2001.

/ Brought home a 2001 ZD21 today
I'm having a hard time finding the parts diagram for it on kubota's site. It just shows the deck, not the hydro's, so I don't know what parts to order. Any suggestions?

/ Brought home a 2001 ZD21 today #5  
I'm having a hard time finding the parts diagram for it on kubota's site. It just shows the deck, not the hydro's, so I don't know what parts to order. Any suggestions?

Try messicks.com, they have parts diagrams online.

/ Brought home a 2001 ZD21 today #6  
They are strong machines and had a few issues along the way. Hydro capacity upgrade, low voltage to starter upgrade just 2 that were done to mine be sure to keep the radiator screen's clean very temperature sensitive!! We have over 1300 hours on ours and this is most likely the last season that it will be in our fleet. Overall a really good machine and Messicks has been our parts supplier for the last 6 years you will be very happy with their service!!

/ Brought home a 2001 ZD21 today
The starter was upgraded already by the previous owner.

I assumed messick's had the same diagrams that kubota had online, guess not. I'll be ripping it apart this week. Gotta make room in the garage first. It doesn't fit through the doors in my shed, so I guess I need a new shed as well. Oh darn.