Busted spindle guard prognosis?

/ Busted spindle guard prognosis? #11  
Why is grease oozing out of it??

/ Busted spindle guard prognosis? #12  
I keep an extra set of cleaned up dust covers, those big washers, and the nut, along with as set of sharp blades ready when I service the deck each fall or spring (when I get to it). Those dust covers do take some "hits" now and then.

Sigarms split in the dust cover is allowing the grease to ooze out ... best I can tell. And he probably has no other damage.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Busted spindle guard prognosis? #13  
I keep an extra set of cleaned up dust covers, those big washers, and the nut, along with as set of sharp blades ready when I service the deck each fall or spring (when I get to it). Those dust covers do take some "hits" now and then.

Sigarms split in the dust cover is allowing the grease to ooze out ... best I can tell. And he probably has no other damage.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the clarity Mike. I originally thought the spindle was cracked. Not sure I understand the purpose of the cover.

/ Busted spindle guard prognosis? #14  
782.JPG783.JPG787.JPGMaybe these pics will show how the dust covers work or help protect the spindles from dirt and encase the grease.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Busted spindle guard prognosis? #15  
I see what you mean - F3060 blade spindles do not have such a dust cover, and the shaft seals are oriented so that the old or excess grease will exit through the top seal.

It's probably good to have a cover like that in order to reduce chance of long stringy stuff from damaging the lower shaft seal.

View attachment F3060 Blade spindle parts.pdf

/ Busted spindle guard prognosis? #17  
Why is grease oozing out of it??

That was my thought/question too. I think David's right about slowing down on the grease. I imagine that dust cover also makes it difficult to see when the old grease is pushed out.

/ Busted spindle guard prognosis? #18  
I thought that I could see where the mainshaft was broken, oh well anyway the dust covers on my deck have holes from factory and I assume they are to let excess grease escape.

/ Busted spindle guard prognosis?
I thought that I could see where the mainshaft was broken, oh well anyway the dust covers on my deck have holes from factory and I assume they are to let excess grease escape.

I was informed the biggest issue why those holes were there was to let water escape.

I've never had to take the dust covers off before, but after seeing Mikes pics, makes more sense.

Again what caused the confusion is that I (and I guess the Kubota parts counter person) didn't see dust covers mentioned anywhere in the manual and when he was showing me his parts break down on his computer screen screen, I don't rememeber seeing them (dust covers) as well. Thus the reason for almost dropping over dead for $260 parts/seal kit.