Do I need 4wd on a new F2690?

/ Do I need 4wd on a new F2690? #21  
I’m pretty sure the digital panel is standard kit Drew. Maybe John Thomas, who owns and has owned several, can confirm.

I've owned/own the F3080 (2) both 4wd and one F2680e a two wheel drive. Don't know about the new 90 series Fs.
I to run up to full throttle and then back off a hair. I mow when grass is higher and if it isn't cutting well enough then I go to full throttle.
If you guys can't find a RD deck, which I love, then I'd consider a side discharge with the mulching kit which removes the chute and blocks the side exit. If I were buying one today that's what I'd want since trying it on a couple of other Kubota Z and BX mowers and works great, no blowing grass on me, can mow with both sides of the deck, no windrows and less blowing of grass getting under the machine. It's like the RD only better by the less grass blowing back up under the machine.

/ Do I need 4wd on a new F2690?
Brief email from Barlow thanking me for requesting the quote and said he'd get back to me tonight.
No reply from other two dealers after a day. I'm in no rush, this is for next year so I'll be patient and see what happens.
I don't know anything about Barlow other than what I've read here, but Messick's posting is always something I read with interest as it is
usually very helpful.

Ultimately I want to buy it from my home town dealer. I told my regular salesman I was annoyed enough with their expensive quote that now they would have to match
the lowest quote I got, exclusive of shipping and tax. Cutting out the latter two is a lot of money. I'd have to rent a trailer; mine is six feet wide which is far too short for this 72 mower with its overhangs. Hmmm, computer dinged, a response coming in now from local dealer.

If I got a quote for more than 500 bucks cheaper vs the home team, I'd probably go with that lowest price.

Last edited:
   / Do I need 4wd on a new F2690? #23  
Brief email from Barlow thanking me for requesting the quote and said he'd get back to me tonight.
No reply from other two dealers after a day. I'm in no rush, this is for next year so I'll be patient and see what happens.
I don't know anything about Barlow other than what I've read here, but Messick's posting is always something I read with interest as it is
usually very helpful.

I bought John's old 3080 and Barlow shipped it to me for what it would cost me in truck for my gas. They did however have a "truck run" to NC so I guess I lucked out.

I'd look around local for used as well. One may pop up.

/ Do I need 4wd on a new F2690? #24  
I bought John's old 3080 and Barlow shipped it to me for what it would cost me in truck for my gas. They did however have a "truck run" to NC so I guess I lucked out.

I'd look around local for used as well. One may pop up.

Rare to find good used ones, except from me and I don't have one for sale.....today. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Do I need 4wd on a new F2690? #25  
I looked for a long time to buy a good used F, but most people want a new price for a used machine, I probably would also. So I ended up buying a new one. Was even able to get a good deal from my local dealer (at least I am happy with the deal, and to me that is all that matters).

Barlows came back with an excellent quote, almost a thousand less than my local dealer, and the number I was looking for to begin with.
But....$650 in shipping eats up the savings. You folks in Kentucky have a good thing there...
Now I'm waiting for my old PA dealer to come back with a number, and I could pick it up at their DE location to save a lot of sales tax.

Apparently corporate Kubota does not care who sells what where, at least for turf equipment.

/ Do I need 4wd on a new F2690? #27  
Apparently corporate Kubota does not care who sells what where, at least for turf equipment.

Probably so as long as they meet their quota!

/ Do I need 4wd on a new F2690? #28  
Barlows came back with an excellent quote, almost a thousand less than my local dealer, and the number I was looking for to begin with.
But....$650 in shipping eats up the savings. You folks in Kentucky have a good thing there...
Now I'm waiting for my old PA dealer to come back with a number, and I could pick it up at their DE location to save a lot of sales tax.

US dealers can not sell to Canadians.
You know you could come to Somerset and pick it up for a lot less. Take the deck off and load it side ways if your trailer is to narrow or sell your narrow trailer in NC and buy a Gatormade trailer from Barlows (They make Gatormade trailers in Somerset, Ky) and pick it all up at the same time. :D Or sell the Gatormade trailer when you get back to NC and maybe pay for your trip.:thumbsup:

/ Do I need 4wd on a new F2690? #29  
After buying my last tractor from barlows several yrs ago, last spring i stopped in to say hello on my way thru ky. Nice people. I was expecting to run into johnthomas but steve said he hadn't been in for a few days, whats up with that? Lol,
I think My last tractor was at least $1000 less than local, including shipping to maryland. Messicks price was closer to barlow, and they are close to me, but i went with barlow since i had spent a lot more of their time.

Last time i got a quote local it was msrp.

I wound up with three choices. My old PA Kubota dealer with a branch in DE, Brady Barlow in Kentucky, and my local dealer. Brady was the least expensive but shipping to me ate up the difference with the guy in Delaware. Within a few dollars of each other. Faced with those two competitive numbers, of approx $19,600 delivered, my local dealer reduced their price to $19,400 plus tax. List of $21,816. Thousands less than what they first would have given me. Sure pays to shop around. I accepted the local dealer and sent a thank you card with a few bucks for a dinner out to the two losing quoters.
Owning a Kubota and two Masseys, I wish I lived closer to Barlow. Nice people.

And I adviced my landscaper he was no longer mowing my 8 acres, and there was a new much smaller budget for him next year. He is so busy I honestly don't think he cares.