Going to look at a G5200

/ Going to look at a G5200 #1  

JStrange

Tractor
John Deere X320
Hey all.
Been looking for a replacement for my JD X320 ( it’s wimpy and can’t handle hills ) and I came across a G5200 for sale. It looks to be in reasonable shape, it looks whole. The current owner has done a bunch of maintenance stuff over the past year. Here’s the list.
New water pump, fan belt, fuel pump, ignition switch, new oil/filter, new fuel filters, new hydrostatic oil/filter, new blades, deck belt and PTO belt.
It has 1795 hours on the clock. Comes with a 44 deck and a triple powered bagger.
I’m new to diesel and Kubota garden tractors, is there anything specific I need to watch out for? What’s a reasonable price for a machine like this? The reading I’ve done leads me to believe that it’s a rugged unit and will do what I need (hilly terrain mowing with a tow behind mower) and then some.

/ Going to look at a G5200 #2  
Never heard of the G5200 so had to look it up, built between 1984 - 1990. On the web looks like price are 1800 -3500. I would probably go in at 1500 myself.

/ Going to look at a G5200 #3  
Welcome to TBN!

We have a G5200H and it's a great lawn tractor.
It cuts 2 acres of (what we call) lawn in the Summer & in the Fall it sports a Cyclone Rake and pick up yards of leaves.
The 15HP engine is a brute for a 44 inch deck and it uses half the volume of fuel to cut the same amount of grass as our
previous mower, a 21HP Craftsman could manage. I don't recommend it, but we have cut field grass 36" tall with it.
Had to go slowly, but it muscled through what would have stalled the Craftsman in no time.
Things to look for:
1) Mower deck: make sure it's rock solid or repairable.
They've been out of production for almost 30 years and many have rotted out.
Replacement decks in serviceable condition are extremely hard to find.
Make sure the mower deck gearbox is in good condition - they are very expen$ive to repair/replace.
2) Cooling system: the radiators get fouled after 30 years of breathing chaff and lose their ability to, uh, cool.
With a little careful work they can be cleared and I believe new replacements are available for a reasonable price.
3) HST - make sure the tranny works smoothly. It's an Eaton unit and should have lots of life left if not abused.

Basically, if the machine looks like it was kept inside and well maintained, it could be a very good purchase - depending on price.

Last edited:
   / Going to look at a G5200
So I wound up getting the tractor. It has one small hole in the deck but I知 pretty handy with fabrication. The wheels on the deck are in need of replacement, so I値l get a set of those in the way. The previous owner had done quite a bit of work to it and for what he was asking I think I did pretty well. It starts pretty well, sounds good, the fluids all look and smell like I壇 expect.
It is missing the radiator screen. I値l have to get my hands on one of those.
I am wondering if it痴 not actually a G6200H, while inspecting it I noticed the frame tag lists it as such. Not that it makes a big difference either way.

/ Going to look at a G5200 #6  
I have a G5200 and its a tank. Got it about 12 years ago. Last spring had to do a major deck repair due to rust. Other than that and some other minor repairs, its been a super cutting machine.

Only real complaint is even running at WOT, the deck can get pretty full of clippings. Keep it scraped off or deck will rust.

/ Going to look at a G5200 #7  
Also, the G5200 has the D600 engine & the G6200 has D662. Check your block to see which yours mighy be.

Think the G6200 came standard with hydraulic deck lift. All lower models it was an option.

/ Going to look at a G5200 #8  
I have had a G4200 for ten years and bought a G6200 a month ago. The 4200 is a bit under power but heavily built, the three cylinder runs a lot smoother/quieter. I have run 15in car tire chains on the 4200 and if you have hill or ditches I recommend chains, they make it more into a tractor.

/ Going to look at a G5200 #9  
2 days ago I purchased my 1st tractor, a Kubota G6200. It is in remarkable condition with 1350 hrs on the meter. I bought it from the nephew of the original buyer. It came with the 48" deck. It's been very well maintained and always stored in a garage. It seems very robust. I paid $1000.00 for mine.