Front deck mower gear box leaking

/ Front deck mower gear box leaking #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
A warning to those with mowing decks with gear drive, like the front deck 72" on my F3080. Yesterday when I would engage the deck it would kill the engine immediately. I first checked nothing wrapped around blades. I checked fluid in gear box and it was low or empty. I added fluid and it powered properly. After a few minutes of mowing I started smelling something burning. My deck was covered with gear oil!:eek::shocked::thumbdown::confused3: I finally noticed there are two holes on each side of the gear box beside lock down plates with no bolts. I had found a loose bolt some time ago and found an empty hole on the back top of my deck and the bolt fit in the hole so that's where I put it. I ordered 4 bolts and washers from Barlows yesterday. I believe this will lock gear box down tight to deck and thus stop leak, I'll see when the bolts get in and installed.

/ Front deck mower gear box leaking #2  
Thank you, that's a good point.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread but last winter I replaced the bearings and shaft oil seals which had minor leaks in my F3060 72 inch deck 90 degree gearbox, just to make sure it will be OK (3500+ hours on the meter). The price of this particular replacement gearbox would be over $500 so it was well worth spending under $50 on parts and couple of hours.

The old bearings had some slack but the gears looked very good, despite filthy old gear oil.

It would be wise to change the gear oil regularly.

:thumbsup:

/ Front deck mower gear box leaking
Update: Replaced the 4 bolts and washers to the tune of $12 or $16:eek:. Two were a fraction longer than the other two so right and left side made a difference. Gear oil still pours out.
Barlows master "Mature" mechanic was walking by when I picked up my bolts. I had already asked and seal is another $16 if it still leaked. I asked him what to do if the seal still leaked, anything for gear boxes like Bars Leak for radiators. He pointed to a bottle on the front shelf and said "That". It to is $16 or $18 for a 32 oz bottle of basically 00 grease. Have researched 00 Grease/Corn Grease for gear boxes and found tractor users have been using it for decades in gear boxes. Amazon has it for $12 or $14 or $16 32 oz but Tractor Supply has it for $4.99 for 32 oz which I purchased two bottles yesterday. Gary who knows all from Barlows told me the point of interest in using the 00 is how much to put in because it is grease and doesn't splash around like oil. I'm going to squirt it in the top side hole on the gear box while leaving the top fill bolt off and see what happens and then put bolts back in and go forth mowing while doing regular checks on my gear box. I have a camera for checking down your throat or in a car engine but have never connected it to my computer yet so may have to get it out and find out how to make it work and do internal visual inspection of the gear box. Anyway, I'll install 00 grease as soon as it gets dry enough to test it out.

/ Front deck mower gear box leaking #4  
The 90 degree gearbox in my mower was made by Superior Gearbox Company and is pretty simple easy to overhaul design.

I am little skeptical of switching to 00 grease - the gears inside are the expensive parts. But hey, grease is better than nothing if that's the alternative.

Snap 2018-06-15 at 08.47.42.jpg

/ Front deck mower gear box leaking #5  
If I understand correctly it was locked up with no oil, then you added oil and made it turn by force, if that correct I do believe you must tear it down for inspection and overhaul.

/ Front deck mower gear box leaking #6  
JOHNTHOMAS, I did not think you kept any Kubotas long enough to need an oil change, let alone have repairs done! Trade that worn old thing in and get a new one..

If I understand correctly it was locked up with no oil, then you added oil and made it turn by force, if that correct I do believe you must tear it down for inspection and overhaul.
Must is a very strong word. When I added gear oil it started working fine but it all leaked out. Since adding 00 grease it is cutting fine but I seem to be hearing lots of noises from the deck area and even some squealing. Further investigation is obviously required.

JOHNTHOMAS, I did not think you kept any Kubotas long enough to need an oil change, let alone have repairs done! Trade that worn old thing in and get a new one..
Machine has less than 300 hours but deck has more. I had bought a new F with side discharge deck and hated the side discharge deck so bad (Before I discovered adding a mulching kit fixes the bad issues of the dreaded side discharge deck) and kept my used rear discharge deck and let the side discharge deck go with another machine. I'd trade decks in a heart beat but doubt Barlow would want my old deck enough to give me what I'd think I had to have to trade. I think a new deck is over $3000. You may be right.........I may need to just trade the entire machine!!!!:D:laughing::cool2:

/ Front deck mower gear box leaking #8  
It is a must if you want to keep it running, if the bearings lock up the box will be scrap metal in no time.

/ Front deck mower gear box leaking #9  
zip...................................................................I think a new deck is over $3000. You may be right.........I may need to just trade the entire machine!!!!:D:laughing::cool2:

New RD 72" steel deck "shell" alone was close to $2000 last year.

It is a must if you want to keep it running, if the bearings lock up the box will be scrap metal in no time.

So you don't think 00 grease will lubricate gears and bearings? I think a lot of equipment recommends grease for gears and bearings and now I'm wondering why?