Kubota GR2000

/ Kubota GR2000 #1  

pipedoctor

Tractor
GR2000
Hello everyone. I am new here and also the new owner of a Kubota GR2000. I used to own a John Deere 325 which served me very well, but I was very intrigued by the features on this new machine and John Deere really didn't have anything to compare it to, so I've switched from green to orange. I haven't been able to put it to the test yet as it has rained about every day since I took possession, but I am anxious to try it out and see how it performs on the hill in front of my property. I read a few posts here about what seemed to me to be minor problems, ie. pedal stop adjustments, and paid close attention to this when my machine was delivered, so this site has proven to be of benefit to me already. Can't really elaborate more than that because I really haven't tested anything. I'll be able to comment more after I cut some grass. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota GR2000 #2  
Pipedoctor:

First, welcome to TBN! Second, send that rain to central Illinois - it's been a while since we've seen any. Third, I'll be interested to see your posts. I have a lot of obstacles where I mow, and I'm considering buying a GR2100. I'm curious how maneuverable it really is, and if it is a fair alternative to a ZTR.

Rick

/ Kubota GR2000
Things are drying up nicely, with no rain in the forecast for tomorrow, so I'll put it to the test. I have quite a few trees to go around, and the front of my yard has a hill, so I should be able to give you a pretty good all round review on how it performs. The front tires turn very sharp, I think it's 70 degrees, and with the glide steer it should be very agile. I'm also curious to see how it backs up on a hill as I have heard some comments about it being not so good, but I think most were able to rectify by adjusting the pedal stop settings. I guess it also depends on how steep the hill is (some say hill, I say mountain judging by some of the pictures I have seen on other sites). I personally don't foresee this as a problem on my hill. I checked mine upon delivery to see if they were tight, and mine were, but it looks like you have a little bit to play with if you need more throw. I have the spacer kit on my rear tires which gives you a slightly wider stance, and also enough clearance for the winter chains to clear the frame when I put the snowblower on. This tractor, for me, had exactly the features I wanted, and that's why I bought it. My John Deere would sometimes push straight through a turn on my hill as it did not have AWD, so if this tractor works as it should, this shouldn't happen and the tractor should be a lot safer to operate in both summer and winter. If you're considering the GR2100, I have heard nothing but good things about the Kubota small diesel engines. The air cooled Kohler is sufficient for what I'm doing. I found it was an adjustment for me to go from the two pedal John Deere to the single pedal Kubota. The tractor was very comfortable when I test drove it, and I found for me, resting my foot alongside the pedal control rather then planted right on top of it was more secure. I also noticed that this tractor, as was my John Deere, stops solid upon release of the pedals. Very important for safety, especially on a hill. I like the PTO system on the Kubota better than the electric one on my other, and the shaft driven implements ensure no slippage. HTH. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'll see if I can get that rain your way also. Cheers! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kubota GR2000
OK Rick. I've cut some grass and the report card looks very good. Excellent traction and handling on the hill, in both forward and reverse. The finishing cut on the grass was very good, and the glide steer should make their engineers proud. What impressed me the most is that the tractor did not push straight through a turn while steering on a hill as the AWD did its thing. Do I think its a fair alternative to a ZTR? I don't think it can cut grass as fast as a ZTR, but I'll bet there are places like between trees that I can get into nicer, and then there's the AWD. Very nice feature on hills, and I think it will prove its weight in gold come winter. This tractor on hills is very safe. It comes to a complete positive stop when the pedal is released and it is also very comfortable to drive. It has a nice solid feel to it. It was hard for me to say good bye to my John Deere 325, but I'm sure glad I bought this Kubota. I hate to compare because if something is built well, then it really shouldn't matter who makes it. Maybe some of the other members who have a GR2100 can enlighten you on the diesel. My 325 had a Kawasaki 17HP air cooled engine which gave me zero problems. The Kohler engine at 20 HP, I think is a good match for the weight of this tractor, and the fact that it drives both the front and rear axles. I think the Kubota engineers did a good job on this one!! Happy shopping Rick, and regardless of what you buy, I hope you have luck with it. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota GR2000 #5  
Pipedoctor:

Thanks for all the information! My property is pretty flat, but I do have several hundred feet of ditch to mow, and that AWD looks pretty attractive. As for the tractor, I'm sold. Now comes the hard part - catching the boss off-guard so I can sneak into the checkbook (I'm glad she's like that - sure beats the alternative).

Rick

/ Kubota GR2000 #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pipedoctor:

Thanks for all the information! My property is pretty flat, but I do have several hundred feet of ditch to mow, and that AWD looks pretty attractive. As for the tractor, I'm sold. Now comes the hard part - catching the boss off-guard so I can sneak into the checkbook (I'm glad she's like that - sure beats the alternative).

Rick )</font>

Hi Rick, I too have a GR2000 and it is a hill mowing monster...I could not be happier!

Slam

/ Kubota GR2000 #7  
I am thinking about replacing my 25 year old John Deere 214 with a GR2100 or 2000. I would love something bigger, but really can't justify it on my 2 acres. I would also be getting a snowblower.

How heavily are these tractors built? In general, I feel my 214 is built stronger than most "lawn tractors" are built today? I'm thinking maybe that is not the case with these particular Kubotas. Perhaps the lack of garden tractor attactments is to keep from creeping into BX sales rather than because the tractor can't handle them?

thanks for any opinions...

Jim

/ Kubota GR2000
First I want to thank slammer for giving me the heads up on watching out for, and paying close attention to the stops on the pedal adjustments. Next, jimy22, you said the magic word that should make this tractor shine. AWD + snowblower = happy owner. Jim, if your 214 lasted 25 years, you obviouly take care of things. I think the build quality on this Kubota is very good, and in the hands of a guy that can make a 214 last 25 years, I think you should be very happy. Gas or diesel is a personal choice. If I was a farmer with a lot of diesel powered equipment in my yard, I would have chose diesel. For me and my needs, gas is more practical and easier for me to maintain. I guess what I'm saying is, you have to gauge it to your needs, and also look at the pros and cons of both. When I started looking, no other manufacturer has a tractor with these features in its price range. I think you're going to see the competition scramble to keep up with this one. I think it caught them all off guard. AWD and glide steer combined is a nice package. A lot of people are saying it doesn't have the range of implements they want, but I don't think its geared at that market. It has exactly the implements I need, and that's probably the case for most. They may add more implements to choose from in the future, but right now, if you need different implements, you're going to have to choose a different tractor. Happy shopping and good luck to you. Cheers. HTH. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota GR2000 #9  
<font color="blue"> (A lot of people are saying it doesn't have the range of implements they want, but I don't think its geared at that market.) </font>

Pipedoctor:

I would have to agree with that statement. Earlier this year my dealer had one on display at a home show. At the time I was sniffing around a ZTR. He told me Kubota was marketing the GR2X00's to displace sales of ZTR's. That being said, it's no surprise to me at all that there aren't many attachments available.

Rick

/ Kubota GR2000
Thanks Rick, and that's very interesting information. I think Kubota has also held the price down on this unit to promote its new technology and offset ZTR sales, as you pointed out. This tractor and mower, with the snowblower, spacer kit, weights and chains was cheaper than a John Deere GX335 with mower only. It's more capable on hills, can turn a tighter radius, and costs less with implements. I can see the price creeping up as they catch on, but they'll have to season that properly with what's going on in the market. I really enjoyed my green machine, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity, at a reasonable price, to have features that would make it easier and more enjoyable for me to have.