Kubota G5200 won't start

/ Kubota G5200 won't start #1  

charlie852

I was given a G5200HST last week. The tractor had not been run in two years but had been stored in a garden shed. We got it started but it began to run rough and after 10 minutes, it died. We got it started again but only for a couple of minutes and it died again. I changed the fuel filter - still won't start and am uncertain what to do. Suggestions from previous owner include air in fuel line or bad fuel pump???

/ Kubota G5200 won't start #2  
I don't know about this machine. Is it gas or diesel? It sounds like if a diesel it has water in the fuel.

Here are a few general things to check.

Ensure there is new fuel in the tank and that it is full. (Yes, get rid of the old junky fuel) If diesel inspect the old fuel for any black stuff. That is bacterial that is slimy and will clog a filter FAST. Google for bacteria in diesel for methods and additives to fix it.

If it is diesel, add some water displacement stuff like "diesel 911" or similar.

Ensure that there is good flow of fuel from the tank to the filter.

If diesel, find and follow the directions on bleeding the system.

If gas, carb may be junked up. May need to take it apart and clean it out. There may be a metal screen filter in it too.

If gas, ensure you have good spark.

If there is water in the fuel, you may need to change filters again.

Try those things and see.

jb

/ Kubota G5200 won't start
Thanks for your reply. This is a diesel and I have no experience with diesel so I will try the things you have suggested. However, I have talked with a couple of others and they tell me that I should hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the left and I do not - will start there and work forward I guess.

/ Kubota G5200 won't start #4  
The g5200 I own has two fuel filters. When sitting on machine, one is on the right rear, near fuel tank and fuel pump. The other is on the left front near the injectors on the motor. This machine I have preheats to left(on key) and turns on to the right. With the key in on position, but not cranked, you will be able to hear the fuel pump, but may have to take the tire off to hear it. I took mine off(this was the only way to change the fuel filter) good luck

/ Kubota G5200 won't start #5  
Carol is exactly right in her recommendations, there are two filters that need to be checked. But change the diesel fuel first....save it to start bonfires this winter when you need to do some burning! The filter just above the right rear tire is kind of hard to get at, I just replaced the one on my G3200 and had to remove the wheel/tire first to get at it. The other filter is under the hood and usually is never a problem. Consider yourself a lucky guy though as somebody really likes you a lot to give you a G5200.....get it running and take care of it and she'll last you many years. You may want to check the glow plugs too, but like the other readers I think your problems are fuel related: flow, contaminants, water, etc. Good Luck

/ Kubota G5200 won't start #6  
I HAVE A G5200 DIESEL AM GETTING 350PSI PER CYLINDER I HAVE A BAD GLOW PLUG I KNOW THAT I NEED TO KNOW IF THAT IS THE RITE COMPRESSION IM LOOKING FOR