GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak #1  

bob19

Tractor
Kubota B2910, Kubota GR2100
I have a one-year old Kubota GR2100 tractor/mower. In June, I had some work done to it and they added almost 2 quarts of Super UDT to the transmission. Recently, the PTO developed a problem and the mower did not engage and I had to have it taken in to be fixed. When it came back, I saw they had again added a little over one quart of Super UDT transmission oil.

Thinking this was strange, I called to see why it would need Super UDT after only 54 hours of use. After talking with the mechanic, I was told that for some reason, both the front and rear transmission areas needed oil and that this was a fairly common problem with the GR2100's.

I wrote a letter to the Service Manager with my concern. I got a call from him stating that there was indeed a problem with them, but not serious enough to have a recall. HOWEVER, he did say that Kubota had agreed to extend the warranty to 4 years. Although this is helpful, it still means that I have to check the transmission levels frequently and probably add a quart of Super UDT oil every 25-30 hours. I don't like this, but my major concern is that I may do this every couple months for 3 more years and then the transmission will go out and I will be responsible for the entire cost of replacement.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? But, if you haven't checked your transmission oil level, you may not even know this is happening until it is too late.

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak #2  
bob19 said:
I have a one-year old Kubota GR2100 tractor/mower. In June, I had some work done to it and they added almost 2 quarts of Super UDT to the transmission. Recently, the PTO developed a problem and the mower did not engage and I had to have it taken in to be fixed. When it came back, I saw they had again added a little over one quart of Super UDT transmission oil.

Thinking this was strange, I called to see why it would need Super UDT after only 54 hours of use. After talking with the mechanic, I was told that for some reason, both the front and rear transmission areas needed oil and that this was a fairly common problem with the GR2100's.

I wrote a letter to the Service Manager with my concern. I got a call from him stating that there was indeed a problem with them, but not serious enough to have a recall. HOWEVER, he did say that Kubota had agreed to extend the warranty to 4 years. Although this is helpful, it still means that I have to check the transmission levels frequently and probably add a quart of Super UDT oil every 25-30 hours. I don't like this, but my major concern is that I may do this every couple months for 3 more years and then the transmission will go out and I will be responsible for the entire cost of replacement.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? But, if you haven't checked your transmission oil level, you may not even know this is happening until it is too late.

Bob,
Sorry to hear of these problems. What work did you have done to the mower in June? Also, did they state what the problem was with the PTO. I also have a GR2100 but have had no difficulties at this stage (only have 25 hours on it).

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak
dddd,

In June, the mower was not cutting even and had to be adjusted. It had 64 hours on it. At that time, they added 1 quart of Super UDT oil.

When the PTO quit engaging the mower, I had 126 hours on it. The mower quit working, but the PTO lever was not loose, it just didn't engage. They did not tell me what the actual problem was. All the Service Manager said was that he had checked with Kubota and that there had been a problem with other GR2100's, not enough to require a recall, but enough complaints that Kubota had extended the transmission warranty to 4 years.

Hopefully you will not have a problem with yours. But- keep checking both transmission levels.

Bob

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak #4  
bob19 said:
dddd,

In June, the mower was not cutting even and had to be adjusted. It had 64 hours on it. At that time, they added 1 quart of Super UDT oil.

When the PTO quit engaging the mower, I had 126 hours on it. The mower quit working, but the PTO lever was not loose, it just didn't engage. They did not tell me what the actual problem was. All the Service Manager said was that he had checked with Kubota and that there had been a problem with other GR2100's, not enough to require a recall, but enough complaints that Kubota had extended the transmission warranty to 4 years.

Hopefully you will not have a problem with yours. But- keep checking both transmission levels.

Bob
I do check rear dif often , I will keep a close eye on front as well.

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak #5  
I know this post is a little late but...

I just had to take my GR2100 into the shop last Monday. They said that I had blown a rear seal out of the transmission. I was one month out of warranty but they said they are going to see what Kubota will do.

I hate to see that other people are having trouble with their GR but I am glad to know that at least Kubota is aware of a problem.

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak #6  
Aggie92 said:
I know this post is a little late but...

I just had to take my GR2100 into the shop last Monday. They said that I had blown a rear seal out of the transmission. I was one month out of warranty but they said they are going to see what Kubota will do.

I hate to see that other people are having trouble with their GR but I am glad to know that at least Kubota is aware of a problem.

How many hours are on your tractor? Let us know how your problem is resolved.

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak #7  
I know you guys think I was not going to reply but believe it or not I just got the mower back today.

I got it back about 4 wks ago but it was still leaking. After the shop took it apart again it turned out to be a bolt on the top of the unit. They said they have checked it over again and it should be good. I am going to run it through its paces and mow about 3 acres tomorrow. Hopefully all will go well.

The mower only had 82 hrs on it when it failed.

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak #8  
Well... Here is the update since I brought the mower back home yesterday. We were up to 87 hrs when I started using it again. Thirty (30) minutes into mowing this horrible popping noise started coming from the front end. Needless to say it is going back to the dealer again this week. As much as I hate to say it I had to borrow an 8 year old green mower to finish the job AGAIN.

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak #9  
My GR2100 failed at 203 hours. No forward/reverse movement and no pto to mower deck. You can see my posts on this by searching GR2100 HST

Took my machine in on Sept 18, still has not been returned to me.

My experience with Kubota has been less terrible.

Apparently the transmission uses bushings in lieu of bearings. Sounds like a poor design. I am shocked that a Japanese Company would allow such a design to go into production.

Whenever I do get my machine back it is supposed to have a GR2110 transmission in it. Thats ok though I am putting it up for sale.

My experience with Kubota has been dismal. Poor quality product and no one from customer serivce is empowered to help the customer.

Bought an Exmark Lazer Z, 29HP Liquid Cooled Kaw with 60" deck. Nice machine.

/ GR2100 Transmission Oil Leak #10  
Sit down and poor your selves a drink.

I'm own a commercial turf maintenance service in Western Washington. I bought a GR2100, serial #12272 in 7/05 and paid $9700 after tax. At the 125 hr. service my tech asked why the tranny fluid and filter hadn't been changed. I said it was done when I'd taken it to my dealer for the 50 hr. service. He said no way, that's the original filter. Long story short, at 2 years, 15 days and 367 hrs. latter I finally got the tranny serviced and the tech discovered a big ball of metal shavings on the uptake tube screen. He said the machine was out of warrant and I was **** outa luck. To the machines credit it ran perfectly till i tore it down this winter to discover the rear cover PTO clutch carrier bearing was completely disintegrated. I bit the bullet, ordered all the parts and paid a private tech to help me put it back together. Now it's $2300.00 and 2 transaxle cases latter and I still don't have a working tractor. This is the flagship of my fleet. I paid top dollar with the expectation that I wouldn't be buying another tractor for a long time.
I didn't get to looking on the net until recently and I'm surprised to read about Kubota extending the warranty to 4 years. My dealer has mentioned nothing about this. Is this a rumor run amok or did my dealer not get the memo.
I finally submitted an inquiry to Kubota customer service online a couple of days ago and from my internet search I now know that THEY KNOW that the GR's trannys were junk. Why didn't they issue a recall the the owners of the affected serial #'s? I got a standard boiler plate reply from Kubota saying to stand by while one of their reps took a look at my particular situation. I'm crossing my fingers. Anyone out there know anything that can help me.