B3030 hydraulic independent pto question.

/ B3030 hydraulic independent pto question. #1  

lawn_king

Veteran Member
Tractor
kubota L 3540 hsdc,B 2320 hsdc & lots of other stuff!
Shoud i throttle down every time i engage/disengage the rear pto? I have a huge spray job (105 acres) this weekend, if i throttle down every time i turn the tractor around to make another pass, its going to cost me a lot of time! Opinions please gentlemen,thankx, Scott.

/ B3030 hydraulic independent pto question. #2  
Your sprayer doesn't have a lot of inertia - I wouldn't worry about it. Rotary cutter, chipper etc - throttle down.

/ B3030 hydraulic independent pto question.
That sounds good to me hazmat, i always throttle down when brush cutting.

/ B3030 hydraulic independent pto question. #4  
hazmat said:
Your sprayer doesn't have a lot of inertia - I wouldn't worry about it. Rotary cutter, chipper etc - throttle down.
Good point, it reminds me some threads about why there's no PTO foot clutch on a B3030.

I have no complaints with the 3030 pto system. I use it for spreading,spraying,brush cutting and snowblowing. Its quieter than the live continuous on my previous machine.

/ B3030 hydraulic independent pto question. #6  
I wouldn't worry about it either just turning a sprayer pump. The independant PTO will save you a lot of time over a tractor that requires stopping and clutching to engage the PTO.

Thankx toolguy, im not one to baby my tractor as it is a primary tool to make my living. That being said, i dont go out of my way to cause unnecessary wear and tear on the machine either! The herbicide im spraying stains everything yellow, i plan to use the pto to turn the sprayer on and off so i can stay clean and cool in the cab.

/ B3030 hydraulic independent pto question. #8  
I figured because of your cab you could not reach a valve to turn the booms on and off. Our old 3PTH farm sprayer had a valve that directed liquid to the booms or to the bypass. Of course the old Fords didn't have cabs. Good luck. That is a lot (105 acres) of spraying. How wide is your sprayer and how long do you estimate it will take to to do the job?

Last spring it took me 3 days, sunrise until sunset, (solo). This spring i will be working with a kubota B7510 with a 55 gallon rear boom sprayer, so i figure 2 good days and we will be done! Last spring i had the rear cab window open to turn the sprayer on and off, this season im keeping the cab closed up tight and using the pto to operate the sprayer. Pictures to be posted next week!

/ B3030 hydraulic independent pto question. #10  
hmm.. That's still alot of engaging and disengaging.... Even though it is a wet clutch.. I'm glad it's not my tractor!!

If it were me, I'd rig 2 sprinkler dump valves up after the pump.. 1 inline to the sprayer, and one before it 'T' off to the tank. Wire have a SPDT toggle switch with center off. Take the 2 coil wires from the 2 valves and tie one of each to a ground wire.. run that to common ground on the tractor. Take 12v power from the tractor and run it to the common terminal ( center ) on the SPDT switch. Then wire one side of the switch to one of the remaining wires on the coil of one valve, and the other side of the switch to the other remaining coil wire on the other valve. With switch in middle.. both valves are closed...with switch in 1-on position one valve will be open, one will be closed. Flip to the other side and and the valves switch. For instance.. when the valve to the sprayer is open, the valve to the tank is closed.. when you flip it, the valve to the sprayer closes and opens the valve to the tank... that way you can leave your pto running and not be engfaging / disengaging it 50 times a day.. instead you are buying a 3$ switch, 1$ roll of electrical tape, a 5$ roll of 18awg 2 conductor wire.. like a zip cord... and 2 9$ sprinkler dump valves.. perhaps about 8$ worth of misc threaded nipples to hose barbs, and that 2nd 'recirculate' hose back to the tank.

Just run that wire back thru your window and e-tape it to some convienient spot to flip the switch back and forth... AFTER pto is off, you can flip it to middle.

Power for this can be hooke dup off of a cig adapter, or a fuse tap ... only costs a dollar to get a blade fuse piggyback adapter..

That all adds up to about 35$ and 5 minutes with your pocket knify to fab up.

Sure beats eating years off the life of your pto wet clutch!!

soundguy