Backhoe BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem

/ BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem #1  

rifflerunner

Tractor
Kubota BX23
Anyone else experience a problem getting the backhoe top link to disengage/engage with the subframe. On my BX23, there are two metal catch links that are suppose to wrap around and lock into the top of the tractor frame. I believe the bottom catch link is the only one that moves. The one on the left side works as should and can even move it by hand, but I cant seem to even budge the right side unless I use some extra force(metal pipe). I am on a level surface and pull the pins as should. I looked at them while disconnected and they dont look rusty, but not really sure if I can even take them off. Could they also be "tweaked" a little by the force of the backhoe and bent to prevent moving? I can eventually get the bh to engage or disengage, but it isnt as easy as it should be. Is there a way to remove those top catch links to see if rust is the problem? Not sure if my terminology is correct, but hope someone understands the problem. A picture would probably help, but I didnt think of taking one while the bh was disconnected.

/ BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem #2  
Yeh, I had that prob. Initially, I thought it was rust or gummedup or something, so I applied a lot of moly-graphite dry film lube and it "seemed" to be better. That was a couple of years ago. This winter, I had the occasion to have the bh on and off quite a bit. It seemed to want to hang up again but instead of lubing again, I found that it just needed the boom to relieve the "exact" weight of the unit, no more, no less, and probably exactly centered. Seems to work every time now. My bh sits on plywood on gravel.
Hope that helps but probably not

/ BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem #3  
I got a lot of use out of my neighbor's BX22 when doing my house renovation, and for a good year, I was the one using the backhoe, so I had to put it on and off in between him using his machine for mowing, gardening, etc.

After a couple of laborious attempts at attaching/detaching the hoe, I decided to sit down and partially disassemble the links to see what was going on. Everything looked fine when fully assembled, but upon pulling the links apart, I found a bunch of rusty powder coating everything. A good cleaning and oiling of the components took care of the problem.

Start with a can of WD40 to loosen and break up the rust. After cleaning everything up, you can add some light penetrating oil. You will need to keep on top of that if you are doing a lot of dusty dirt work. I've found teflon based spray lube to stand up the best to dusty dirt, and not hold as much dirt as some of the oil based lubes.

After cleaning & lubing the links, the hoe attach procedure went from a sweat filled, hammer tapping, 20 minute curse-fest to a fairly quick, easy under-5-minute procedure.

/ BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem
How do you take those links off the backhoe? My links have an outer cover attached with 2 bolts(upper and lower) that thread thru each link. Once that outer cover is removed, can you just tap the links off, or are they permanently attached?

I have already tried moving the boom into every conceivable postion, with no luck. The problem is better seen after bh is off, and the one side(left link) has no up or down movement to it. To get the bh back on, I have to use a pipe/pry bar to open the link into its "receiving" postion and than tap the pin into place with a hammer. To get the backhoe to come off the top links, I have to jump up and down on the back of the backhoe. Take my word for it, this is no fun.

/ BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem #5  
HomeBrew2 said:
... I found that it just needed the boom to relieve the "exact" weight of the unit, no more, no less, and probably exactly centered. Seems to work every time now...

I agree with HB2. It is important to position the boom correctly in order to remove the BH easily.

/ BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem #6  
To get the bh back on, I have to use a pipe/pry bar to open the link into its "receiving" postion and than tap the pin into place with a hammer. To get the backhoe to come off the top links, I have to jump up and down on the back of the backhoe. Take my word for it, this is no fun.
There must be dirt, rust or some other contaminate thats gotten down into the mount lever or holder mount (clamps). It's possible the lever may be bent but I'd suspect some sort of debris is jamming up the works.

Attachments

• BH schmatic.JPG
    BH schmatic.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 504
  • BH schematic 2.JPG
    BH schematic 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 429
   / BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem #7  
I seemed to have the same problem at first. Then I found that I was not using the boom correctly to lift/release the BH. You really need to lift the back of the tractor off the ground to get it to mount/dismount easily. It takes some practice at first. I also used some lube to keep things lubricated and as rust free as possible.

If you are having to use a pry bar, I'd have to agree with Volfandt. Try using some PB Blaster to break up any rust, check for debris, and then lubricate it.

/ BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem #8  
rifflerunner,

It was over a year ago, so I don't remember exactly, but I believe I just took out the 2 bolts, removed the cover, and pulled the links off the big pivot pins. I was then able to clean the pivot pins, links, etc. I used some 220 grit sandpaper, along with WD40 to clean everything up good and smooth - the rust had really roughed up the pins. Once I put it all back together, cleaned and lubed, it was amazing how easy the backhoe was to put back on the tractor - the links actually sprung open and closed on their own.

My neighbor bought his machine used from a farmer off ebay who outgrew it, so it did need a little TLC - he did most everything else, but after we were comparing notes on how difficult the backhoe was to attach & detach, that's when I decided to pull the links apart. Before doing that, the tractor was up, down, hammer tapping, backhoe up, down, all sorts of stuff to get the backhoe on.

Just go ahead and pull the links apart - it's an easy job, and that way you can actually remove the rust & crud that's in there. Do one side at a time, if you're worried, so you have a properly assembled one to reference if you forget where all the parts go back on the one you've dissasembled, cleaned, and lubed.

After you get done and hook up the backhoe again, you should have a pretty big grin.:cool:

/ BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem
Thanks for the help guys. If all goes according to plan (never does), I will hopefully complete the 200'+ field drain I am putting in this weekend and be able to disconnect the bh to take another look. I had it off last weekend, but opted to just get it back on, instead of trying to pry the one troublesome link off without knowing if that would be wise. It looks by the diagram and some first hand knowlegde that I should be able to take that link off without any harm being caused. If rust is the culprit, I will have to add spraying a lubricant to the links as part of the maintenance.

/ BX23 backhoe disconnect/connect problem #10  
I had that problem with the hoe on my BX22 until I discovered that there was some buildup on the "U" shaped seats that the bottom pins go in. After cleaning them really well with a wire brush the problem went away. I have also found that moving the boom just slightly left, and right when there is still some weight on it helps seat those bottom pins correctly before I try to pivot the hoe into the locking position. Sometimes, even when I think it is seated correctly, that movement will drop one pin right in where it is supposed to be. I worry much less now about how level the place is that I take it off. Hopefully, either something I've mentioned, or something mentioned by others will help, and you will have much less difficulty with removal, and reinstallation of your hoe. One of the great beauties of that setup is how easy, and quick it can be to R/R.
Chuck