over heated my new tractor :(

/ over heated my new tractor :( #1  

crk133

Silver Member
Tractor
L6060 cab
well i have a whopping 9 hours on my new 7610 and i managed to over heat it tonight and i dont me just a little. i was doing some mowing and driving around wasting time when i thought.... gee i wonder if i got up to temp yet (the other day it took forever to get the temp up even a little) and then i look down and the needle it PEGGED to the right side past H. i mean it wouldnt go any farther. i was about 50 feet from my garage so i parked it and turned it off. i then notice the overflow on the radiator was squirting out fluid. i then checked and found my front grill & radiator screen where full of dirt as was my radiator. so i cleaned the grill and screen and will wait till morning till the engine has cooled before i attempt to hose the radiator off. can anyone think of anything else i should do besides look at the temp gauge more and top off the radiator fluid? hope i didnt permantly harm my once shiny new tractor. i am hoping all is fine as there was no smoking or odd noises that occured during the overheating episode....

any thought/suggestions?????

/ over heated my new tractor :( #2  
This time of year you really have to watch the dust. It can plug up a radiator in no time.

I would refill the cooling system and run it up to operating temp. Let it cool down and see if the coolant level is still OK. Check your engine oil to make sure the level is not going up (coolant going past a blown head gasket or cracked block/head will raise the oil level). If all looks well keep on keepin on and count your blessings.

/ over heated my new tractor :( #3  
What to do? Well....

1) clean the screen 2x a day when working in dusty conditions .
2) clean the screen 3x a day when mowing all day
3) the air intake at the front of the tractor is probably full of small holes. They are to pre-filter the air coming in. Did those holes get filled with chaf too?

I have a slightly larger tractor (L3410) and it takes a lot to get it hot. It sounds like your's will need to be watched closely until it behaves (gets broken in).

jb

/ over heated my new tractor :( #4  
I doubt if you did any permanent damage...that doesn't mean it can't happen though.
Once you've tested it as DieselPower described...
Before you mow or brush cut, give your radiator and screens a good look over and clean as needed.
Always keep an eye on your gages frequently! I look at them at least once a minute or two (cursory glance is enough to see the position on the needles).
Mowing never clogs up my screens, but if brush cutting, they clog frequently. My Deere has never overheated or even gotten hot when the screens are clogged (knock on wood!), but that doesn't mean it won't.
I check my screens whenever I stop, even if this means 8 times a day (I normally take a few minute break once an hour or so).

Good luck!

/ over heated my new tractor :( #5  
Something else you might consider if you overheat it again is to turn the machine on as soon as you clean the screens, radiator, etc. Let the fluids circulate through the engine as it idles - they do a very good job of cooling the motor back to normal operating temps, and then you can shut it down once the gauge gets back to where it should be.

That way, you are ensured that no fluids get stuck sitting in one spot in an extremely hot engine while it takes time to cool down with the ambient temps. It also helps to ensure that no engine components stay too hot for too long a period of time. The cooling systems on most motors nowadays are very well engineered. A very hot engine will actually cool back to normal operating temps, in many cases, faster by running it under little to no load than it will just sitting around turned off.

/ over heated my new tractor :( #6  
I just overheated my ZD326 last weekend. Fortunately, it has what sounded like a 150 decibal alarm that went off on it. Heard it over the music I was listening to. When I took off the earphones, it scared the bejeezus outa me. :eek: :D

It was just grass and dust that plugged the radiator up. I shut it down for about 5 minutes while I ran in and got a can of compressed air. Blew what I could out of the radiator, and then restarted it. It cooled down to normal temp really fast then. I drove it back to the garage and used the air compressor to finish clearing the radiator fins. I checked the motor oil afterwards to make sure I didn't "burn" it. Seemed ok, but I may change it anyways just to be safe.

I wonder if my BX has an overheat alarm as well. If not, I wonder how much trouble it would be to add one similiar to the ZD.

/ over heated my new tractor :( #7  
As long as you had coolant in the system, your OK. Once you loose the coolant from boil over (most of the coolant) your in trouble. If it was still boiling over out the cap, your likely in good shape. :cool:

/ over heated my new tractor :( #8  
bandit67 said:
Something else you might consider if you overheat it again is to turn the machine on as soon as you clean the screens, radiator, etc. Let the fluids circulate through the engine as it idles - they do a very good job of cooling the motor back to normal operating temps, and then you can shut it down once the gauge gets back to where it should be.

Also nothing wrong with hosing off the radaitor while the engine is running to bring the temps down and clean things up.

/ over heated my new tractor :( #9  
I didn't see it mentioned above, but, I would do an engine oil & oil filter change soon.

The engine oil probably took a lot of the "heat" for you, and hopefully protected your engine internals while doing so.

/ over heated my new tractor :( #10  
Hopefully you were using synthetic motor oil.