I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500

/ I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
In the past, I've done a ton of heavy equipment hauling using 'proper' trailers and tow vehicles... now I'm on my own.

My tow vehicle is rated for 3500 lbs. and I've installed a Class II hitch.

I'm looking at 5x8 steel tilt-bed utility trailers with single axles and no brakes.

My question is whether I can get by with this set-up to tow a bx1500 w/o loader to friend's houses at speeds no higher than 35mph.

I'm well within the rating, but the lack of trailer brakes causes me real concern - and I can't find a smaller sized trailer that has available brakes.

Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks.

/ I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #2  
I've got a 5x12 utility trailer rated at 3000 lbs with no brakes. I've never had an issue with it not having brakes. I load it up all the time and don't think twice about it. I also have 2 larger trailers w/ brakes and wouldn't think about hauling 5000 lb + loads without the brakes. As long as the loaded trailer doesn't equal or outweight the tow vehicle I wouldn't worry too much.

BTW: Here in VA trailers rated over 3000 lbs require brakes, so most utility trailers have 3500 lb axles but they lower the rating to avoid brakes.

/ I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #3  
You are going to be fine with that trailer. It WILL make the stopping distance longer, but it sounds like you have experience towing heavy stuff. The other thing is to position the tractor properly on the trailer, but I guess you know about that too. I somerimes (rarely) tow a 2200lb load (plus trailer weight) on a single axle trailer no brakes with a V6 3500lb tow capacity rated vehicle. As you can imagine it is not a drag race and it gives real meaning to being careful. I would imagine the loading and unloading of your tractor would require some good strong ramps, 'cause I sure wouldn't want to drive it onto a tilted trailer and be on there when the trailer bed slams down. My 2c's

/ I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #4  
I've been thinking of a trailer myself. Came across these

load rite utility. The heavy duty model can be had with single axle & electric brake. You will spend a few hundred more to get the brake.

I've always been perplexed why more smaller trailers aren't offered with brakes. Typically the purchaser has a smaller tow vehicle, or they'd be looking at a bigger trailer. I suppose it comes down to price...

/ I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #5  
I bought a Snow Bear similar to this one:

http://www.snowbear.com/page/Utility_and_Landscape_Style_Trailers

Mine has 2 panels on each side, and 1 at each end. All 6 panels are removable. The front and back can be placed vertically or flat. When towing my BX2200, I lay front and back panels flat and remove the side panels. I use lg keeper straps and a chain to secure tractor. GVW is about 2200 lb. and trailer a tad under 500 lb. Single axle, no brakes, tilt bed. Axle and springs can be put in different positions, tongue can be set at different lengths, tongue removable for storage. Mine was $600 at Home Depot. I also go 35 mph max on quiet, straight, flat rural roads when I take it the 18 mi. to the shop.

Last edited:
   / I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #6  
I used to tow a BX with FEL and tiller on a 6x12 single axle landscape trailer, no brakes. Never had a problem.

This size trailer should fit your needs very well.

I think if you shop around, you will find you can get get a quality 6x12 with 3500 lb axle and 15" wheels for not much more than the smaller rigs.

The 6x12 is a great size utility trailer (the thieves that stole mine thought so, too). Not too big, not too small. I have a 7x18 dovetail for my L2800, but recently picked up an old 6x12 in need of repairs. I plan to fix it up and use it for a lot of jobs that the larger trailer is just too big for.

/ I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #7  
The type & size of the tow vehicle will be a huge factor as to whether this is a proper & safe proposition.

I have a minivan that has a 3500lb tow rating, but I wouldn't be comfortable towing even a small tractor behind it, maybe a small camper, but not much else, too soft a suspension.

My SUV on the other hand has stiff leaf springs on all four corners and can safely handle 7500lbs, I have towed as much as 4500lbs without trailer brakes at low speeds, but the truck itself weighs about 5000lbs.

Just my .02 --but adjusted for inflation is probably only worth about .001.

/ I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #8  
bxowner said:
My question is whether I can get by with this set-up to tow a bx1500 w/o loader to friend's houses at speeds no higher than 35mph.

Just curious what you'd do with your tractor with no mower deck (too narrow) and no loader?

I will say that the 8' length will bite you if you EVER plan on also carrying the loader. I'd suggest 10' at a bare minimum. I have a 10' trailer and can just get enough of the tractor's weight over the axle to get the appropriate amount of weight on the tongue. You could carry the machine backwards with the FEL hanging over the tailgate, but it is still tough to get the weight distributed perfectly. I think you'll need the extra room to get it right. Unsafe otherwise.

Also, the only tilt-deck trailers I've seen are the "toy" versions rated for 1500# or 2000#. You'll need the "C" rated 6 ply 15" tires as a bare minimum, in my opinion. That will probably kick you into a drop-gate style trailer. Then you need to beef up the web steel on the gate to bear the weight of your tractor...

And I have to be honest, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable towing all this stuff behind a Minivan/CRV/Highlander/Murano/Cute-Ute class of vehicle (with a 3,500# tow rating, I've got to be close). Sure it's "within rating", but one emergency maneuver may make you reconsider.

Used to tow my 24' Bayliner with my 4Runner...JUST within (or slightly over) the 5,000# tow rating. 4 MPG and 60 MPH with the pedal to the floor. Fortunately, nothing happened. Bought an Expedition and towed the boat to the Outer Banks. 12 MPG and cruising at 75 MPH...could barely tell it was back there. The boat trailer had tongue-compression activated (not electric) drum brakes on all 4 wheels.

My point: Mr. Stupid in a Geo Metro cut me off as I was leaving the beach and I was forced to make a very aggressive emergency maneuver at 35 to 40 MPH. Bent my drop hitch and "tweaked" my frame mounted reciever the slightest bit. If I was in my "just within rating" 4Runner, I think I would have been going for a ride into oncoming traffic IN FRONT of my boat.

Just a thought. I know you are confined to your vehicle fleet, but I would not tow one of these machines behind a vehicle rated to tow less than 5,000#. Just as I will never again tow a 5,000# boat behind something rated for fewer than 8,500#.

/ I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #9  
When you are looking around at trailers one of the tacts you could take is to look at the manufacturer of the axles on the trailer - if the axles are made by one of the major Co's then it is most likely that brakes are probably available for that axle - which means you could buy a trailer that you like - and add the brakes later yourself. Some of the trailer Mfg'rs will also add brakes as an option if you get a good dealer who will custom order for you.

/ I've searched... but still need help picking a trailer for a bx1500 #10  
Check out Aluma trailers too. Very high quality. I have a 16' tandem that is beautiful and extremely well built.

As far as length goes, I think 16' is the minimum for a BX with FEL and BH. The smaller trailers are just a pain to load and work on.