Rip 'n Tuck BH Buckets for CUT/sCUT?

/ Rip 'n Tuck BH Buckets for CUT/sCUT? #1  

Tom_H

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
While I was talking to the local dealer yesterday about the ability of a BX 24 or Woods BH6000 to dig in our local hardpan (which is actually a sedimentary rock called durapan), I told him about the BroTek ripper designed to fit where the BH bucket usually goes. He mentioned that he used to see BH buckets with a single ripper on the underside of the bucket. When hard material was reached, the bucket could be "tucked" into fully curled position which would expose the ripper. Keeping the bucket curled, the operator could make several rip passes, then uncurl the bucket, scoop the excavant material, and repeat the process.

Is anyone familiar with this type bucket? Has anyone ever seen one small enough to fit a BX24 or Woods BH6000? Anyone have an idea how hard it would be to fabricate one?

/ Rip 'n Tuck BH Buckets for CUT/sCUT? #2  
Up here in Vermont we have frost buckets. They range from one large tooth design to three or five teeth stagared so the center one will hit first to break through the frost. I've never seen something that folds out of the way to expose a ripping shank. But I haven't seen it all, yet. lol. I'm not sure if you could get a frost bucket for a CUT. They are usually narrow and made from lots of steel. For larger machines there are different tooth designs that could help.

/ Rip 'n Tuck BH Buckets for CUT/sCUT?
So by staggered, you mean like a stairstep up to the center then back down, the center tooth is the longest and as you work your way to the outside the teeth become shorter? Are these teeth standard shape, tiger tooth shape, or something else?

As the dealer described the Rip 'n Tuck, nothing actually "folds"; the operator curls the bucket fully and the ripper is then in a position to do its job.

/ Rip 'n Tuck BH Buckets for CUT/sCUT? #4  
Here is a vendor - not sure they build for small hoes. I'm looking for a single tooth ripper for stump work to minimize ground disturbance. Might actually spring for a welder & do it myself.

leading edge attachments

/ Rip 'n Tuck BH Buckets for CUT/sCUT? #5  
hazmat said:
Here is a vendor - not sure they build for small hoes. I'm looking for a single tooth ripper for stump work to minimize ground disturbance. Might actually spring for a welder & do it myself.

leading edge attachments

I have sold these buckets with some of my excavators I have put out. These buckets work incredibly well, however I do not think they have anything for a SCUT...they may put one out for a CUT but that is questionable given the weight of these buckets.

JD DLR

/ Rip 'n Tuck BH Buckets for CUT/sCUT?
Now those are some impressive looking teeth configurations. A smaller version of some of those would be exactly what I need in this hardpan. If the device were sized to the correct proportions, weight should not be a problem. Maybe a sCUT version would be a good project for BroTek, Wallenstein, or Larry at Moweraxle (as long as no patents are infringed). I am really impressed.

/ Rip 'n Tuck BH Buckets for CUT/sCUT? #7  
These are what I've seen around here http://www.werkbrau.com/products/?cid=2&scid=7&pid=5 . I've broken a bucket on my 580K and have welded it several times but it never seams to last. Usually the metal tears near the weld. Finally welded several extra steel plates to it. It's a backup bucket that I use when there's lots of rock or ledge I'll be hitting and haven't used it since beafing it up. I've thought of trimming it down in width but changing buckets more than once per job is something I try to avoid and it seams like quiet a bit of work to cut one down and weld it back up again. The woods BH6000 does have an 8" trenching bucket as an option, that's a pretty narrow bucket and might be all you need (of course you'll want a bigger bucket too I would think).