Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Default BX24 bucket size/price

Hi group. The ground where I live, Chester County, PA, is rather hard. Piercing into it with a spade often involves my jumping up and down to get a full scoop, and I weigh about 170 pounds. I imagine it's hard to say, but would it be beneficial for me to go with an 8" backhoe bucket on a BX24 instead of the 12"? I fear that the extra 4" would leave me unable to dig well and actually slow me down compared to an 8" bucket.

I do have some softer areas, so ideally I'd get both buckets. Does anyone know the approximate price of a 12" bucket by itself?

Thank you
    Ray
    BX24

Tractor
    Kubota B2910, BX2200, Yardman 20HP pos...

Default Re: BX24 bucket size/price

Be careful with the 8" bucket. If you are digging dry stuff, the stuff in the bucket will likey drop out. But if it doesn't, it becomes a real pain in the bottom.

I know with the 10" I have on my backhoe, when digging relatively wet/damp clay, it will not drop clean on its own. So I either end up pretending I am digging, since the bottom 2/3 of the bucket stays stuck full all the time, or I have to get down and clean it with a digging bar more frequently than I ever want to.

My advice would be to get the 12 inch bucket first and see how it goes. Perhaps the dealer could loan you a bucket for tryout before you decide what you want.

I now wish I had bought a 12" and 24 inch bucket for my BL4690 backhoe on my B2910. I do put the 10 inch on when digging stumps though, as I think it gives me a little more concentrated force on the roots. Aside from stump digging, the 16" bucket is what normally resides on my backhoe.

I don't have any BX backhoe experience so maybe someone else who has one can chime in.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Rayco, Send me an email per my PM and I can send you the mpg. on the rip tooth.
    Dog Lover
    BX24, Brush forks, Bro Tek Skid Plate, Tuff Top Canopy, Walker MT Mower-48

Rayco, I have used my 12" bucket a lot when going through hard pack gravel 6-10" deep in a driveway. I weigh well over 200lbs and I could not get a sharp shovel to sink in more than a 1/4". As others have said, I would start with the 12" and go from there. You may have to drag the path a couple of times to loosen things up in really bad spots, but otherwise it should work fine

Tractor
    2004 Kubota BX23, 1966 WheelHorse 856

Can't help you on the price as I've never priced them and don't recall seeing a price on them.
    I will echo the the advice on going with the 12" though. I range from nice soft bottom land to hardpack clay with lots of rocks and find that the 12" works fine for me. Sometimes I have to take very small 1st bites but after the crust is broken I can generally get a full bucket on every subsequent dig.
    I'll also echo the fact that the 8" bucket will probably not discharge it's contents as readily as the 12", especially if it's damp.
    Good luck
    BX23 w/60" MMM & thumb.
    1966 Wheelhorse 856, Gear drive.
    1966 Wheelhorse 876, HST drive.
    w/50"sickle mower, 36" RDM, snow/grader plow, Alternator welder.

Tractor
    BX24TLB

According to my dealer, the 8" bucket is no longer available. Only the 12" and a 9". I have the 12" and have never had a problem digging in hard clay or soft loam. I can't remember the exact price for the 9" bucket but it is just over $300.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Rayco - I am not that far north of you and do just fine with the 12" bucket. I wouldn't sweat it, even when it's dry it just takes a few scratches to open it right up.
    2006 Kubota BX24 owner

TBN thread killah

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

I drove through Spring Mount today. Beautiful area you're in there, MOPAULY.
    Ray
    BX24

Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Lover
    Rayco, Send me an email per my PM and I can send you the mpg. on the rip tooth.
    I didn't know rip teeth had a Miles Per Gallon

For what its worth, I am over %80 clay and took the 8" bucket on my Woods (which, by the way, still makes the 8" Gannon bucket, don't know if it fits the 'Bota, though) for just the same reason. Now, I have never had a 12" on here but am guessing it wouldn't fare to well in this Gumbo. I would consider a larger bucket only for backfilling...like a 24"

Good luck!
    New...
    Bobcat CT235
    72" RFM, 72" SB, 7TL Loader & 7TB Backhoe

60" Worksaver Box Blade
    48" Tebbens Bush Hog
    25 Gal 10' 3PH Sprayer

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

It's not a big area, you should've stopped in, just look for the BX