Trailer Planning

/ Trailer Planning #1  

The Gardener

Gold Member
We have decided to budget for a May '08 purchase of a B26. I'll be dependent on the dealership for transporting the tractor for the first year of ownership. Then, we'd like to purchase a used pick-up truck and new tandem trailer w/ electric brakes.

Could some of you please recommend the appropriate size trailer and truck to safely transport the B26. It'd be a 45 minute trip sharing back roads and mostly interstate: almost flat the entire trip.

I would like to be able to rent a Kubota mini excavator [U35] down the road using the B26 truck/trailer combination if possible. Since the mini rental would be infrequent, I would not wish to buy a larger trailer than needed for the B26 to accomodate the U35.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
The Gardener

/ Trailer Planning #2  
The U35 weighs about twice as much (8200 lbs vs 4200 lbs) as the B26. Your therefore going to have to purchase much more trailer (and truck) to accommodate the U35.

In my opinon you could squeeze by with a 18' 7,000 car carrier type trailer to haul the B26. Brakes on at least one axle (both are better and not that much more of your buying new). Figure 4200 lbs for the tractor and about 2,000 lbs for the trailer. That gives you about 800 lbs to play with. As for a truck, a half ton capable of towing 7,000 lbs should work.

A better solution for the B26 would be a 20' 10,000 lb equipment type trailer with brakes on both axles along with a 3/4 ton pickup.

To tow the U35 you'll need a 12,000 equipment trailer with a 3/4 HD pickup. This is a big jump for something your only going to use once or twice a year.

I'm sure others will chime in with their ideas.

Good luck.

Neil

/ Trailer Planning #3  
In my area, delivery of equipment from Sunbelt, Hertz and the like is something in the under or around $200 range, depending on what you're renting. If delivery fees are in that range where you are, I wouldn't consider buying more truck/trailer for that infrequent circumstance.

While you could probably pull a trailer rated for 7,000# around your property and help you with your tasks, a trailer rated for 10,000# probably will become unwieldy and too heavy to hook up to your tractor and use around the yard...it would be a transport trailer only. Or you carry your refuse to the trailer in the driveway...not carry your trailer to the refuse.

In either case, I'd consider a 3/4 ton truck for hauling duty. And get the best electric brake control unit possible. The $40 difference to a top of the line "Prodigy" unit, for example, greatly affects the "natural" feel of the brakes vs. a cheapie unit. In any case, you're less than $200, so it is money well spent.

/ Trailer Planning
Thanks guys.

Based on your comments and opinions, it does not seem to be a worthwhile expenditure to plan for a trailer at all. It seems to make better sense to rent one, borrow one from the dealer [perhaps?], or pay them to transport the tractor when necessary. As for the U35 rental, I'll just pay them to trailer it both ways.