Oil & Fuel BX2200 trans oil leak

/ BX2200 trans oil leak #1  

upgw

Gold Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota BX2200, 2011 Hustler Super Z 31 Kawi
Was out mowing, started smelling hydraulic fluid, stopped and looked under, trans fluid everywhere, all over deck, basically pouring out from some place above the center PTO output shaft (which doesn't appear to be leaking). I'm guessing trans input shaft seal?? Sending it in for service.. it's a 2001, about 560 hours. Anybody have anything similar happen? Search turns up empty, so probably not a common BX problem.

Thanks,
- Patrick

/ BX2200 trans oil leak #2  
My bet would be the power steering hose that comes out of the hydro unit there by the MMM PTO and runs forward and up to the steering control under the dash. If that is the leak, be sure and replace both hoses, not too bad to change, remove the left rear tire to get to the fitting on the bottom end and the other end is under the dash and it is kinda tight to get at.

/ BX2200 trans oil leak #3  
   / BX2200 trans oil leak
Well, it's fixed, it WAS the steering hoses. I guess there are multiple sections? The hoses near the transmission were replaced. I also had them change the trans oil and filter. Add in the road service charge for them coming out and the bill was $370, which I found to be quite reasonable. Plus, they had it fixed in two days, which is nice.

- Patrick

/ BX2200 trans oil leak #5  
Yikes.. I see a few of these are cropping up now.. kubota must be using some discount hose manufacturer when those units were rolled out. That is dismal lifespan for a PS hose...

Soundguy

/ BX2200 trans oil leak
Yeah, they are a new design I'm told... I've now spent more on this tractor than I have on repairs for my 3 Honda vehicles over 200+ K miles of driving... (one $150 ball joint). I consider it a bit of a lemon, although I still feel it's a good tractor was a good value relative to the competition.

- Patrick

/ BX2200 trans oil leak #7  
I'm in the process of fixing this same problem on my BX2200 (698 hrs.). Four hoses from the dealer was $114 with the tax. I'm doing the job myself and ran into problem. Replaced all the hoses and tested it. I think I got the hoses on the power steering unit wrong. I should of took a picture even though I was careful of which hose goes where. The diagram on manual wasn't clear. Could a fellow BX2200 owner help me and take a picture of the hose connection on the power steering unit?

/ BX2200 trans oil leak #8  
i disagree with kubota's thinking here but if all bx owners would like to open there owners manual (i know its still probably in the plastic bag it came in):D to the service schedule page they will see that the power steer hoses are to be replace every 2 years. so kubota say its not a problem but a servicing issue. personally i thing 2 years out of a hyd hose is rubbish. we have a after market set in stock at all times. they are a bit bigger which makes them even harder to fit but they last forever.

/ BX2200 trans oil leak #9  
Glad you got it fixed.
About a yr or so ago I tried to start a discussion on why it is that the BX's power steering hoses have such a short lifespan (inspect and/or change every two yrs) but only managed to get sidetracked and the only valid reason presented was that Kubota designed them that way.......

To borrow the term from our friends from the land down under, thats rubbish.....

Is it inferior hose material?
Too much pressure due to a single pump system?
Poor routing causeing them to rub then eventually fail?
Were they just simply designed that way?

/ BX2200 trans oil leak #10  
Tom_H said:
See this thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/99124-sounds-expensive.html

Two of us with BX2200s just had the same thing. If you find my posts, you'll see that my situation was just like yours. BX2200 from year 2000, 285 hr., tranny fluid spewing from beneath deck platform. Old tranny hoses to power steering had hardened and ruptured.

Anyone installed their hoses themselves? And can I expect that I will need new hoses again if I use the Kubota part instead of aftermarket?
:confused: :confused: :confused: