Mowing Mowing without removing FEL or BH

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
Yesterday I mowed about 2 acres without removing the FEL or BH from my BX22. I’ve run the MMM before like that, but just to hit a spot or two. Why did I do it? Well I just wanted to try it. I’ve seen posts that others never remove their BH & FEL, so I thought I’d give it a whirl.

Let me say it wasn’t much fun. I’ve got a lot of trees to cut around plus fences to trim next to. I was lucky I didn’t bash something with the FEL or BH. I constantly had to raise or lower the FEL to keep from hitting something. It turned a very maneuverable machine a very awkward one. Maybe if I had completely open, flat land it would have been OK, but the least little dip or bump makes the BX pretty bouncy.
I thought I might save some time by leaving the attachments on, but I had to go so slow, I’m not sure the overall project was any quicker at all.

Next time I’ll take ‘em off, for sure.

Jack

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #2  
Tdog said:
Yesterday I mowed about 2 acres without removing the FEL or BH from my BX22. I’ve run the MMM before like that, but just to hit a spot or two. Why did I do it? Well I just wanted to try it. I’ve seen posts that others never remove their BH & FEL, so I thought I’d give it a whirl.

Let me say it wasn’t much fun. I’ve got a lot of trees to cut around plus fences to trim next to. I was lucky I didn’t bash something with the FEL or BH. I constantly had to raise or lower the FEL to keep from hitting something. It turned a very maneuverable machine a very awkward one. Maybe if I had completely open, flat land it would have been OK, but the least little dip or bump makes the BX pretty bouncy.
I thought I might save some time by leaving the attachments on, but I had to go so slow, I’m not sure the overall project was any quicker at all.

Jack
Jack,
I pretty much feel the same as you. After once, I always take the loader off. With that said, I also invested in a Warn electric hoist (model H1000) with an extended control. Thus I lift the front of the tractor to remove / replace the MMM when I do want the loader back on. I am afraid to use the loader with the mower mounted. Sliding the mower sideways is a crock of pain. They make it sound nice but my front wheels always lack about a frog's hair in clearing the path. Forget that. it comes our very easy through the front, under the wheels.. :D

I was mowing today and thinking how nice it would be to have a suspension seat.

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #3  
I have an L3830 and I run a 5ft bush hog. I always take off the FEL when I mow because otherwise I would rip up my fences (tried it once and found out the hard way). On the L3830 you have to add front end suitcase weights for stability with the rear cutter. The job is a lot easier without the FEL and I can get closer to the fences.

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #4  
Tdog said:

Jack
I've got 830 hours on my BX23 since I got it new in sept.2004.
MMM BH and FEL have never been off it.
Works fine that way for mowing loader and back hoe work for me.
I do so much with the FEL and BK I'd hate to think about having to change attachments 2 or 3 times a week.

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH
So, you've never tried mowing without the BH & FEL attached. And, you've never used your BH or FEL without that wide mower deck attached. I've done it both ways, & I MUCH prefer mowing without the FEL & BH. Similarly, maneuvering to use your FEL & BH, not to mention other implements such as PHD, box blade, tiller, is much easier without the mower deck.

The great appeal of the BX for me was the ease of removing & reinstalling attachments.

But, suit yourself.

Jack

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #6  
It turned a very maneuverable machine a very awkward one.
Definitely agree with that. My BX23 is an outstanding finish mower when set up like one.....
Like you I had to try finish mowing the ponderosa with both the FEL & BH mounted once and lets just say I tried it and didn't like it :D

It's just way to simple and easy to R&R the FEL & BH to keep them on and in the way of close-in finish mowing.
It's nothing for me to R&R both several times in a single day. No tools, no sweat, no problemo :D

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #7  
Hey Big Orange Vol.. HowZZ about some pics of those 60's model Wheelhorses, please?

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #8  
I cannot stand mowing with the loader on. In my opinion, its night and day. I figure there are times you want to have the loader on because the terrain has never been pioneered but after that I assume your just lazy.

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #9  
I alternate back and forth so much between mowing ,fel and bh that it's just not pratical to keep playing muiscal attachments.
One of the many things that attracted me to the BX23 was the fact that I didn't have to do that any more after putting up with for it over 35 years with the old Bolens tractor.
Also I'm a little older than I was back in 1966 when i bought the bolens.

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #10  
Tdog said:
So, you've never tried mowing without the BH & FEL attached. And, you've never used your BH or FEL without that wide mower deck attached. I've done it both ways, & I MUCH prefer mowing without the FEL & BH. Similarly, maneuvering to use your FEL & BH, not to mention other implements such as PHD, box blade, tiller, is much easier without the mower deck.

The great appeal of the BX for me was the ease of removing & reinstalling attachments.

But, suit yourself.

Jack
Yes that will also appeal to me but but onley if i ever have/need to do so.