Posi Lock Problem

/ Posi Lock Problem #1  

Kremmling Cowboy

I have a BX 2230 with posi rear lock will not do anything when depressed. Doesn't even feel like any gears are meshing at all. Are ther any connecting rods that are commonly breaking on these, or is it internal????

/ Posi Lock Problem #2  
Kremmling Cowboy said:
I have a BX 2230 with posi rear lock will not do anything when depressed. Doesn't even feel like any gears are meshing at all. Are ther any connecting rods that are commonly breaking on these, or is it internal????
If this is the same feature that is on the B7800, I too have to find just the correct engagement motion. Just yesterday I needed that function and realized that I had to rock the hydrostat just tiny bit as I was heeling down on the posi-lock. It took a second for me to realize (what I thought) was the right combo for engagement. Seems like everything has its own small nitch.

Once I got the right get-along, I felt the pedal fully depress to engage.

/ Posi Lock Problem #3  
On my Bx23 the "mesh" is very vague. Sometimes it won't be engaged and I wont know it until the wheels slip a little bit and the pedal goes down just a little bit more. Or are you in a situaton where you know it's not locking, such as loose gravel or mud and it's only turning one rear wheel?

/ Posi Lock Problem #4  
What Bernie said. The axles have to be 'just right' for the lock to engage. A little relative motion (between the back wheels) and it should slip in.

The other side of this is the lock tends to stick engaged. If you turn hard the sound it makes slipping out of engagement can be positively terrifying.

I try not to use the **** thing very much.

Russell in Texas

/ Posi Lock Problem #5  
If the rear-end doesn't seems to lock up regardless of what you try, you may want to make sure the linkage is connected. On my B2400 there is a linkage rod underneath the seat on the opposite side of the pedal. I don't know how it is configured on the BX series. If you depress the pedal with your hand while looking down there you can see which linkage it is. The pin fell out on mine and the linkage popped out. It's a simple solution if this happens to be the problem.

Tom

/ Posi Lock Problem #6  
The only way I know my differential lock is working is if I having one tire spinning. Hit the diff lock and the other tire should start turning too.

I've never hear any sounds of gears engaging or meshing.

So, why do you think your diff lock isn't functioning? Were you in a situation of lost traction with one wheel spinning?
If you were just hitting the diff lock to see if it worked, it may have locked the differential but unless traction was lost on one side, you may not notice it.

/ Posi Lock Problem #7  
I mostly agree w/ everybody but the BX's have a weak link in the diff lock linkage. I posted some time ago about it but can't find it now.
The first pic shows the piece I'm talking about. Kindof hard to put it into perspective but easy once you crawl under.
Pic 2 is of the piece I re-made, out of REAL flat stock, rather than the OEM piece of crapola. I think I used 1/4" stock but don't remember.
Though taking the mush factor out of the system WILL give you a postive feel, as stated you'll still have to wait for it to engauge.
I use my lock a lot and also take the time to unlock it each time.

Attachments

• DSCN1920.jpg
    DSCN1920.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCN1923.jpg
    DSCN1923.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 218
   / Posi Lock Problem #8  
Wow Homebrew2
I am amazed you managed to hold on to the little rubber cover for the pedal, especially since you say you use it a lot. I found mine loose on the floorboard a couple of times and I tried to glue it on. Finally it came up missing altogether

/ Posi Lock Problem #9  
You raise a good point Bernie :) I may not use it a lot compared to the number of hrs I use Baby, or maybe as much as other folks do. I may have should have said, I'm not reluctant to use it now that I fixed the linkage. Now it's a measured press of the pedal. Before it was ... well, why bother, I never knew if it would catch or not. At 1000 hrs, the pedal pad is still barely worn. The pic was taked at ~400 hrs.

/ Posi Lock Problem #10  
Oh I beleive you use it a lot.
It's just that I lost the rubber thingy before it had 20 hours on it, and I don't think I had used the lock more than a couple of times by that point and then only to see if it would work.