Removing Trees??

/ Removing Trees?? #21  
BXmark, That sounds like what I want to build, The appeal of the other is that I would not have to get off the tractor each time to hook to the tree. On the other hand with the cable I would be able to drive forward into the open area that has allready been cleared.
Do you have any pictures of your tree puller in action posted?

/ Removing Trees?? #22  
I had about 300 pine trees removed from my place just after I got my 2710. But I rented a track hoe to remove the stumps. I them used the 2710 with a grapple bucket that I bult to remove the slashings. Taking down trees with the tractor and stumps would just have put to much ware and tear on it.

/ Removing Trees?? #23  
This I have experience with./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I have removed a couple of thousand trees (no joke!) in the last two years, my tools; L3000 , pallett forks, chain, chainsaw, and rear blade. I use a rented D4 dozer to push over the large trees or stumps then clean up with my tractor.

/ Removing Trees?? #24  
I forgot to mention that I have found that the pallett forks have been the biggest time saver, I was suprised at how big of a tree I could move

/ Removing Trees?? #25  
buck, i've moved a couple hundred trees with a back hoe and bucket. lost a total of five ,mostly from forgeting to turn on the soaker hose. the key is not to loose too much of the soil around the root ball. if you do and you put 'em in the hole with out the dirt against the root ball you'll get air pockets and rotting. also while you have the root ball up in the air ,trim the roots back to the ball. you don't want any roots ripped. it gives more surface area for disease. i use a trasplant liquid that you mix with water and splash in the hole . the brand i use is "dragon". it's the best one iv'e used.also you want to water-water-water!!!! about one inch per week per tree. i use soaker hoses that i got from a.m. leonard and co. they are made out of recycled tires. not that expensive and work great. good luck....t gello

/ Removing Trees?? #26  
tgello,

Good information...

Thanks!

Buck

/ Removing Trees?? #27  
Take it from a professional forester.. the SAFE way to deal with any tree over 3 inches is to cut it with a saw, THEN dig out the stump. The chances are simply too great, that something will go awry... and since a 4 inch diameter hardwood can crush your chest with ease, I would urge caution for tree removals. Professional loggers use skidders and winches, to remove trees hung up in another stem, hollow trees, and so on.

Point being.. as someone mentioned, no two trees are alike. Each species has its' own quirks, as to rooting, and tap root presence.. and pushing one over might work 99 times.. but that one, will kill you, or really do a number on your tractor.

Be safe!

/ Removing Trees?? #28  
I was impressed with how Spencer used forks to dig stumps. Check it out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=projects&Number=120670&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=/>Unbelievable</A>

Chris

/ Removing Trees?? #29  
You bring up a good point. As I was reading your post it suddenly occured to me the danger of trying to push over trees especially if they have any dead branches or worse a dead top. As you rock the tree with the loader the top whips back and forth quite a bit.

When I was a kid we used to find dead trees in the woods and try to push them over. Once the rocking action broke the top of the tree off it nearly hit us both. It doesn't take a large branch falling on your head to make a hurt.

Becareful out there pushing trees over with a FEL, I used to do it too. Now I like to pull them over with my winch. Saturday I up-rooted a poplar about 10" in diameter. It took all of 10 minutes.

Randy

/ Removing Trees?? #30  
When I was a USFS wildland firefighter, in Colorado, a good pal of mine was killed when a four foot section of a dead snag, burned by the lightning strike that started the fire, fell off a spruce tree from 60 foot. Thickest portion was four inches.. and it crushed every rib in his chest. He lived 30 minutes..

A single oak branch eight inches in diameter, four feet long, solid, will weigh about 800 lbs.. depending on green or no..

Think about it..