Removing Trees??

/ Removing Trees?? #1  

GregWatkins

Tractor
2k 2710, 1950 Ford 8N
Anybody have a tried and true method? I have a 2710 with a FEL. I usually use some combination of digging,pushing,pulling to get trees up. Of course, the amount of each depends on the tree type :~> Is there a BETTER way? So far, mine has been trial and error.

Thanks,

greg

/ Removing Trees?? #2  
Greg,

Personally, I like to use a chain saw /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Seriously though, I know you'll get alot of good suggestions and techniques from the guys. My one and only "bit" of advice would be to get a toothbar for your FEL if you don't already have one. Makes digging and popping small trees a whole lot easier.

/ Removing Trees?? #3  
I have good sandy, loam soil, and shallow-root trees, so they topple pretty easy, with the 4610 and FEL. I've pushed over spruce/fir/tamerack in the 10-12" range-30' high, and pines in the 8" range.

I start high on the tree and push, with minimal to no digging. Eventually the tree will fall over, and I lift up the root ball, sometimes from side to side, and carry the tree backwards with the toothbar. I then approach the tree from the side, and carry to a pile.

On a couple of the bigger trees, I first cut the root ball off, throwing it on a pile, then I wrapped a chain around the trunk of the tree, and dragged the tree out into the clearing to approach from the side and carry.

One thing to watch with this method though, you don't realize how heavy those trees are, and how strong the branches can be. I have a couple of dents on the grill of my tractor, even dented the push bar in the front when a couple of stiff roots caught me!

Have fun and watch your balance!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.

/ Removing Trees?? #4  
If you have some extra money to spend on attachments a tree shear would be nice ($2500 to $7000 depending on which size). There are a couple of guys in the area that have these on skidsteers and they work great. They hire out for about $55/hr.

http://www.mightyaxe.com/
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.midlandindustrialgroup.com/aamain.html>http://www.midlandindustrialgroup.com/aamain.html</A>

/ Removing Trees?? #5  
Jeff, I had a treepuller made to fit on the 3pt for about $140 it works great for 2-4 inch trees, will handle some 6 incher. It is the fast and easy way to take out this size trees. You can find it in a earlier thread.

/ Removing Trees?? #6  
Greg,

Here's a shot of a tree I transplanted two weeks ago. This was pure FEL action. I now have a toothbar and am dying to try it out!

Buck

Attachments

• 2-110902-r.jpg
    2-110902-r.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 136
   / Removing Trees?? #7  
I have had pretty good luck leaving 3 to 4 feet of stump from the base,than I can loosen the stump w/the fel etc..
Something in the old days when farmers used oxens to remove stumps.

/ Removing Trees?? #8  
Depends on how big the trees are. On the larger trees I dig around the base and sever the larger roots below ground. They can some times be pulled up and out easier one at a time.

I have a 3PH mounted winch so I put 16' ladder against the tree, climb to the top of the ladder and put a chain around the tree. Then I get at least 100 feet from the tree with the tractor and pull the tree over. Most of the time it works. I have found spring time is the best time to do this as the ground is softer.

I used to try to push them over with the FEL but found that pulling them over was easier on the tractor. Just becareful when you push that the upper branches don't break off and fall on you if there are other tress near by.

Randy

/ Removing Trees?? #9  
Jag, I went back through the thread you mentioned and that looks like a very handy attachment. My question is about operation, do you just back in to get a good bite then use the three point to lift, or do you use the momentum of the moving tractor to pull the sapling. I ask this because I have a BX2200 with not a lot of lift capacity. Do you think it would be worth my time to build one for such a little tractor?
Thanks ,

/ Removing Trees?? #10  
Greg, one thing I forgot to say is.... NO TWO TREES ARE ALIKE.. Be careful, trees are dangerous. One can snap off at the base, one can snap off up high when you push on it.. If you are pushing a tree that has a dead spot in it or a large limb up high that is dead, when it goes guess which way it is going to come dowm. I have had a bunch of construction guys tell me that clearing tress is one of the most dangerous thing they have to do... If you need proof check on the insurance a tree cutting company has to pay....