Changing welded loader cutting edge

/ Changing welded loader cutting edge #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I have a HD bucket on my LA680 loader with an integral cutting edge. The edge is pretty worn, probably from plowing snow (previous owner). How are these things replaced? Do they just get torched off then a new one welded in place? What would be a typical cost of such a thing?

Thanks - JayC

/ Changing welded loader cutting edge #2  
Don't torch it off. Use a cutting wheel. Carefully cut the welds and then you can easily weld in a replacement WELDABLE cutting edge. Get one with pre-punched holes for a bolt on cutting edge that goes under the bottom of the bucket. Can also use the holes for bolt on teeth.

jb

/ Changing welded loader cutting edge #3  
I got lazy and welded my new cutting edge onto the existing one. This was with a 110v mig and was a few years back and has done fine.

/ Changing welded loader cutting edge #4  
When mine was replaced the feller used a torch to cut the old one off. Nice clean straight cut.:D

/ Changing welded loader cutting edge #5  
I'd use cut off wheel on right angle grinder. Less heat that might distort the bucket edge. You then can dress up the slag with a grinding wheel.

/ Changing welded loader cutting edge #6  
I've changed several. Just last weekend I changed the cutting edge on a neighbor's slip scraper that was welded on. All the methods mentioned here will work fine. Using a cutting wheel on a grinder will take more time to cut off the old one, but will generally give you a better looking finished product. If you have anyone close who can use a plasma cutter to cut it off you may want to see how much they'd charge to do so. I use my plasma cutter and if gives a good clean cut without putting too much heat into the surrounding metal. I use pieces of plywood clamped on with C clamps as a guide. That way the cut ends up being relatively precise and little grinding is required before the new edge can be welded on.

If you don't have access to a plasma cutter, I'd try to use the grinder cutting wheel first. Sometimes it just takes forever, depending on how it's welded on. Like the plasma cutter method, using a grinding wheel to remove leaves little grinding work to do before the new edge can be welded on. It's a fairly easy job that you can later be proud to say you did yourself. Good luck!

/ Changing welded loader cutting edge
Dargo said:
If you don't have access to a plasma cutter, I'd try to use the grinder cutting wheel first. Sometimes it just takes forever, depending on how it's welded on.

I don't think that the cutting edge can be described as "welded on". It's an integral piece of the bucket, so it's effectively welded all the way across, and probably with 100% penetration. I don't think it's a function of grinding welds, its more of a 5' cut through 1/2" plate kind of thing.

I think a cutting wheel would take just about forever. A torch would work with a grinder for clean-up, if necessary. I like the plasma cutter idea the best though. I've been wanting one of them for years...this might be just the excuse I've been looking for ;).

Anyone have a link for cutting edges? Actually, I'd like to get something with sharp-pointy teeth.

JayC