Glow Plug Light

/ Glow Plug Light #1  

x703jko

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24TLB
I was under the impression from this message board that when the key on a BX24 is turned to the pre-start position that the glow plug light would stay on for only a few seconds (depending on ambient temperature) and then go out, indicating that the engine could be started.

The light on my new BX24, however, behaves differently - it stays on as long as the key is in the pre-start position.

I asked the salesman that sold me the tractor and he tells me that on older model tractors (BX series only??) that the light did go out after a few seconds, but on the BX24 it stays on as long as the key is in that position.

Anyone have any comments/input on this?

Jeff

/ Glow Plug Light #2  
My B3030 is that way, too. The light only stays on when the key is in the pre-start position. The light indicates that the glow plugs are hot. Depending on the weather, I usually hold the key in the pre-start position from 3 to 7 seconds before starting when cold. When warm, I just turn the key to start.

/ Glow Plug Light
Toolguy said:
My B3030 is that way, too. The light only stays on when the key is in the pre-start position. The light indicates that the glow plugs are hot. Depending on the weather, I usually hold the key in the pre-start position from 3 to 7 seconds before starting when cold. When warm, I just turn the key to start.

Thanks. Jeff

/ Glow Plug Light #4  
I asked the salesman that sold me the tractor and he tells me that on older model tractors (BX series only??) that the light did go out after a few seconds, but on the BX24 it stays on as long as the key is in that position.
The salesman is mistaken. I have an 04 BX23 and the glowplug light will stay on (and the glow plugs will heat up) for as long as you hold the key in the glow plug position.
I've never needed more than 2 secs on the hottest days of summer or 8 secs on the coldest day in winter.
Be careful how long you have them on. They not only will eventually burn out if left on for too long but they are also a drain on the battery.
I wouldn't go over 10 sec's at a time and do it several times to get it to start when cold.

/ Glow Plug Light
Volfandt said:
The salesman is mistaken. I have an 04 BX23 and the glowplug light will stay on (and the glow plugs will heat up) for as long as you hold the key in the glow plug position.
I've never needed more than 2 secs on the hottest days of summer or 8 secs on the coldest day in winter.
Be careful how long you have them on. They not only will eventually burn out if left on for too long but they are also a drain on the battery.
I wouldn't go over 10 sec's at a time and do it several times to get it to start when cold.

Good to know...thanks. Jeff