Notes for the first time buyer of a Kubota L3400

/ Notes for the first time buyer of a Kubota L3400 #1  

rcteel5

Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST 4wd w/LA514 FEL
I have had my new Kubota L3400 HST for a month now, and thought I would try to give back a little of the help I received on this site. Since I have never operated a tractor, I spend several months researching, asking questions and visiting all the major dealers. I am sure there are others in the same situation

I bought the L3400 HST with a Woods BH80X Backhoe with thumb, the bigger 513 loader, and a Woods 72" rake, blade and box scraper, to use on my 40 wooded acres in the upper peninsula of Michigan. I got about an hour of instruction (could have gone longer if I had known what to ask...)..and a few days later they delivered the tractor. They left, and I began the learning process (I had already forgotten most of what they told me). After no more than an hour with the loader and backhoe, I was actually feeling pretty comfortable. Although the left/right/up/down levers don't come naturally, I was getting it right more than half the time, within the first hour. The HST transmission took all the "work" out of moving forward/reverse, and the learning really centered around how to work the levers on the loader (pretty easy) and backhoe (many more levers). It was surprising how quickly you can pick it up.

My first project was to remove some trees and build a road to the lake. I was absolutely floored by how many 4-6" maples actually could be pushed over without any digging by this little tractor. Also, clearing large rocks and downed trees from the path was very easy to learn. Making a flat "grade" does not come so easy, but the road is already driveable. Finally ran into a 12" maple, which fell in about 20 minutes after digging up the roots with the backhoe. That thing is awesome. Talk about fun. The thumb can really lift some weight. The grade was pretty uneven and down hill, and I got stuck once when I pushed over the big tree and ran the front wheels into the hole where the stump had been. After a few minutes of pondering I was beginning to think about going to my neighbors to have him tow me out, when I figured out that if I lowered the front bucket I could raise the front wheels, throw a couple of rocks and a log under them, and drive out (yeah...I know....second nature for all you pros, but I was pretty proud when I figured it out myself).

Got about 150 feet of "road" done before my neighbor came by to see if I would help clean up a huge beaver dam that was causing the only road in to our lake to flood (we are 12 miles from the nearest paved road). My backhoe experience at this point was 20 minutes on the maple trees roots. He is a new tractor owner as well (but without a backhoe), and has the same amount of experience as I do (none). Drove the tractor about a half mile to the problem areas (most of it at a snail's pace in low, until I remembered I have Med and High speeds!). Spent about 30 minutes carefully removing hundreds of pounds of mud, sticks and other debris from the 36" drain pipe that runs under the load. By the time I was done I was almost never moving the wrong lever ("up" when I wanted it to go "down", etc.)

Came back to camp and started digging up the steep slope to the water, to put in some railroad tie steps. By now I was a "pro" on the backhoe.

Can't say enough about this "basic" tractor, and I look forward to every opportunity to get back on it. It is just WAY-Y-Y-Y too much fun!. Best advice I got from the dealer was to do everything SLOW.....do that, and you will be amazed how easy this is to learn.

/ Notes for the first time buyer of a Kubota L3400 #2  
Congrats on your new machine:)
They are alot of fun....

/ Notes for the first time buyer of a Kubota L3400 #3  
Wow for a beginnerr you've done very well.

I purchased a used L3650 and got it out to a new acreage in early May but did not get the loader installed until latter May. I've been behind with the mowing so have not really had a great opportunity to play with the loader.

I wished I had gone for the backhoe. I have some bushes that need clearing and suspect the backhoe would had been better.

I am starting to get used to moderate grades. The loader seemed to change the feel going up, down and across grades. I just went through a small repair so I had the loader off and then back on. Pretty easy process.

If you get a chance it would be nice to share some pics.

Congrats as well.

Garth

/ Notes for the first time buyer of a Kubota L3400 #4  
A Yooper!!! Where abouts are you? What dealer did you buy from? Did they treat you well? Are you going to use your L3400 to move snow? I'm jealous. As soon as I sell our house in Ann Arbor (next to impossible) we're gonna be neighbors (well, at least the same peninsula!). Have fun ... you don't need me telling you that!

/ Notes for the first time buyer of a Kubota L3400
We have 40 acres about 12 miles north of Amasa (a very small town). Nearest bigger town would be Crystal Falls, about 20 miles away.

I bought the tractor thru D&B Equipment in Lena, WI. Great experience. I also worked with 2 other Kubota dealers (one in Marquette which was actually closer), but saved about $1500 going thru D&B. Out of fairness, I really wanted a Woods backhoe versus the the Kubota, and D&B was the closest dealer that carried Woods.... so it was not "apples-to-apples" comparison on price...but cost me less with the Woods BH and I got what I wanted.

The backhoe is amazing. Very useful if you have a lot of trees, rocks and stumps to deal with (virtually everywhere on my 40 acres).

/ Notes for the first time buyer of a Kubota L3400 #6  
rcteel5 said:
We have 40 acres about 12 miles north of Amasa (a very small town). Nearest bigger town would be Crystal Falls, about 20 miles away.

I bought the tractor thru D&B Equipment in Lena, WI. Great experience. I also worked with 2 other Kubota dealers (one in Marquette which was actually closer), but saved about $1500 going thru D&B. Out of fairness, I really wanted a Woods backhoe versus the the Kubota, and D&B was the closest dealer that carried Woods.... so it was not "apples-to-apples" comparison on price...but cost me less with the Woods BH and I got what I wanted.

The backhoe is amazing. Very useful if you have a lot of trees, rocks and stumps to deal with (virtually everywhere on my 40 acres).

Hey you're right down the road from Munising (kinda). I've got 15 acres of mostly sugar maple. Not much rock. I can't afford a backhoe. You wouldn't mind if I borrowed yours for a couple of months would you? Yooper brotherhood and all, eh? I'd be happy to help you break her in. It'd be no trouble at all. I'll email a map to my property. If you could drop her off shortly after July 4th I'd have her all limbered up for you before the snow flies. It'd be best to get any bugs worked out before winter. No need to thank me, I'm always happy to help a neighbor in need.

Just kidding!