Driveway Dust

/ Driveway Dust #1  

Hoosier3030

Tractor
B3030
Anyone have any advice or homemade mixes for spraying a driveway to control dust? I have a 3030 w/ pto pump and femco 55 gall sprayer. I know that I can get liquid calcium chloride at the local tire shop but I have heard so many negative things about the corrosive issue with calcium chloride and I do not want to ruin anything on my tractor. The sprayer has plastic nozzles but I am more afraid of getting it on my tractor or corroding my 8 roller pto pump. Is it really that bad? The state uses it to spray all of our dirt roads and it works great.

/ Driveway Dust #2  
Hoosier3030 said:
Anyone have any advice or homemade mixes for spraying a driveway to control dust? I have a 3030 w/ pto pump and femco 55 gall sprayer. I know that I can get liquid calcium chloride at the local tire shop but I have heard so many negative things about the corrosive issue with calcium chloride and I do not want to ruin anything on my tractor. The sprayer has plastic nozzles but I am more afraid of getting it on my tractor or corroding my 8 roller pto pump. Is it really that bad? The state uses it to spray all of our dirt roads and it works great.

They use Calcium Chloride to spray the roads???? Wow, very surprising!

I would think if you run a few gallons of fresh watch through the pump, and give your tractor a good spray after you're done, you should be fine.
After all, you don't see a bunch of state tanker vehicles setting rusted out on the sides or the roads, do you?

/ Driveway Dust #3  
The product that I use regularly is gorilla snot. http://soiltac.com/?gclid=CMqDnMbV8owCFQ0NYAodnE2LAw It's a boidegradable polymer that hardens the surface and minimizes dust. If you put enough on, it will harden the surfact to almost asphalt hardness. The military uses it for helicopter landing pads and construction uses it for dust control.

/ Driveway Dust #4  
Hi: My birth county uses tree sap on gravel to control dust No idea where or how they get it and kinda remember this year they said harder/more $ to use.

YMMV

Pat R

/ Driveway Dust #5  
Check out this web site: DustGard
They deal exclusively with dust control products. I wouldn't worry much about calcium chloride, as far as rust goes. It's nothing much more than road salt. It becomes a problem when it is inserted into a tractor tire, but only then, if it doesn't cover the top of the wheel inside. That allows an air/saltwater mixture to eat the steel wheel, unless it is completely submerged. The same principle as to how fenceposts & electric poles rot off right at ground level.

Either way, magnesium chloride seems to be the best way to go.

/ Driveway Dust #6  
Stargazer said:
Hi: My birth county uses tree sap on gravel to control dust No idea where or how they get it and kinda remember this year they said harder/more $ to use.

YMMV

Pat R

Your "Birth County" ? I've never quite heard that one before.

/ Driveway Dust #7  
Well I couldn't say my county as think they don't do anything to control dust besides mostly metro area with lotsa concrete/blacktop. Still read the old home town newspaper via web and remember board of supv talking about dust this spring. Still in same state just 180 miles to nw of where I was hatched hows that instead of birth county.

Pat R