Gear range selector

/ Gear range selector #1  

TEC

Tractor
Kubota L3940
With a new kubota HST do you need to use the clutch when changing the gear selector from Low...med...high range. Thanks for the advice. TEC

/ Gear range selector #2  
I could be wrong, but I don't think any Kubota HST has a "clutch".

My experience is only with the BX series, but I simply have to rock the HST treadle ever so slightly to mesh the gears when shifting from high to low range. I have no medium range.

I would be a little surprised if other tractors are significantly different.

AMENDMENT: Apparently, I am wrong. Please disregard my every thought.

Last edited:
   / Gear range selector #3  
KeithInSpace said:
I could be wrong, but I don't think any Kubota HST has a "clutch".

My experience is only with the BX series, but I simply have to rock the HST treadle ever so slightly to mesh the gears when shifting from high to low range. I have no medium range.

I would be a little surprised if other tractors are significantly different.

My L & the B both have a clutch.

/ Gear range selector #4  
Welcome to TBN!! Please fill out your Bio! Yhe answer is Yes, sometimes?! My B2400 will go in and out of the ranges if your sitting still and everything is lined up right in the tranny. If not, a little nudge on the hydro pedal usually drops it right in gear without the clutch. I think the manual says to use clutch tho when switching ranges and never( switch ranges) when moving.

/ Gear range selector
Thanks for the help, just purchased a L3940 with HST. I find it hard to go from M to L. I have been at a dead stop when changing, and using the clutch. I will just try nudging the hydo pedal. The way I understood the owners manual was stop... nudge hydro pedal if needed and switch gear setting......only use the clutch if having difficulty and to switch to 4wd. Again thanks everyone....I am brand new to this HST stuff...I have only owned a gear model until now.

By the way how do you update your bio for this website?
TEC

/ Gear range selector #6  
I think that many Kubota HSTs, particularly when new, are a little finicky about changing ranges. I think I recall seeing a few threads on here about it a year or two ago. Mine (L4330) sure was when new, but it has loosened up some now (~250 hrs). It's tighter between M-L than from M-H. I always clutch when changing range.

- Jay

/ Gear range selector #7  
Go to top menu, click [my home]
Now, look at the control panel on the left side.

Edit profile (I think) should be one of the first options.

/ Gear range selector #8  
My B3030 HSDC was a bear to shift for the first 100 hours, after i performed the big break in service, it was easy to shift.

/ Gear range selector #9  
You can also put your FEL down and slide her into range, I use this method alot when digging into loose material and need "L" range and the bucket is already buried into whatever it maybe.

/ Gear range selector #10  
wushaw, just curious here, what does the FEL have to do with shifting the trans? The hydraulic circuits are completely separate. The only thing in common is the oil. Am I missing something? I agree with the other posters. Stop the tractor to shift and if the lever does not want to engage easily then move the HST pedal just a little in one direction and then the other to get to shift. My B3030 was tight when new but after the first 50 hours or so it got easier. If the tractor has a clutch then maybe depress the clutch pedal first. If it still doesn't move then, with the clutch pedal depressed rock the HST pedal a little until it does. Just takes a little getting used to.