Comparing the orange forums to the green forums.

/ Comparing the orange forums to the green forums. #11  
In the field of marketing it is amazing but, normally he who advertizes the most and best sells the most! I guess it's almost true as deere does hold a good market share in some areas and they have a lot of followers.

/ Comparing the orange forums to the green forums. #12  
I am sooo happy I got the Kubota, 1 toyota truck, and 1 toyota forerunner because now I have time to do things I really enjoy doing. Kind of wish my dad had done the same.

/ Comparing the orange forums to the green forums.
Roy and Milk are absolutely correct. There is no objective merit to my initial post. Just a very subjective impression of rancor amongst the Deere members of the forum from my few visits over there. I did read through 5-10 pages each time to get a good sampling, though.

It took a long time for me to decide between the two and this is in part what made my decision. Thought I'd see what others thought about that. I would prefer to be a fanboy for an American company than a Japanese one - however, I have enough problems in my life that I don't need to spend money for more problems. Nothing objective at all...but that's how most people make their decisions.

Last edited:
   / Comparing the orange forums to the green forums. #14  
MessickFarmEqu said:
Deere's greatest product is their brand and marketing. Thats what they do best.

I agree 100%

Personally, when I was tractor shopping, the equivalent Deere stuff looked out dated and clunky. And as stated, at least I know I'm buying a Japanese tractor upfront, not hiding it behind green paint and stickers.

/ Comparing the orange forums to the green forums. #15  
hazmat said:
Huh??? Hondas and Toyotas are perceived to be a good car because they are good cars - at or near the top of most customer satisfaction surveys, reliablity, safety, fuel economy etc. measures. They do command a small premium (usually less than 10%) vs. a comparable domesetic vehicle.
We agree on this. I know there are Honda people, Honda enthusiasts, and those (maybe such as yourself) who do all of their objective research and conclude that Honda is right for them...wasn't referring to them. I was referring to: "I need a car but what's a good car? Well, I know Dick and Jane and Tom and Sue and sweet old Mrs. Robinson down at the antique bookstore all have Hondas and seem to like them, so I gotta get me a Honda". I also wouldn't DARE to say that Deere people know nothing about tractors, because it's 100% untrue/unfair...however YOU KNOW there are those that will buy Deere because everyone from their great-grandpappy to their baby cousin's husband's uncle's stepbrother's fourth cousin Otis (thrice removed) and all of Otis' neightbors all had Deeres, and d*mmit that's just how it oughtta be. They wouldn't be caught dead in a store of another color. See the difference? I don't think we've had enough generations of Kubotas yet for this sort of phenomenon. I will say though, that I wish Kubota would step up their marketing game so's we could all have some cool gear like the Deere people get. One JD showroom near me has a whole section with all the shirts/hats/belts/suspenders/toys/clocks/golf tees/gas grills/PAPER TOWELS(?!) you could ever want. This topic alone has me a little "green" with envy :)

hazmat said:
I would say "Hondas are cars for people that don't know anything about cars", because you don't have to know anything about cars - just gas & go.:D
That was more my point really... low maintenance mostly reliable.. good cars. Then again, ask sweet old Mrs. Robinson how she liked her Accord's airbag popping unexpectedly at 70 mph (assuming she lived through that ensuing rollover), or Dick about the sludge problems in his 4-Runner (since resolved I've heard), or worse yet a few months later when a conn rod decided to punch through the side of his block singing "Hello Dolly", how they're liking them now. EVERYBODY has problems. I'd also have to say that European car owners can be a bit more fussy and whine more/louder in the face of reliability issues, and that tends to bias their reliability ratings and cust. satisfaction surveys a bit.

hazmat said:
Of course I'm biased and I do know something about cars (degree in automotive engineering):rolleyes:
Same here (mine's not automotive per se) but been a car enthusiast/hobbyist since about 8 yrs. old. We should probably get back to tractors now though, sorry I led us astray :eek:

/ Comparing the orange forums to the green forums. #16  
I had noticed the same thing when I was reading the brand forums, while trying to make up my mind on a tractor. I was all set on buying a Kubota until I found out that I could get a lot more tractor for the money if I went blue.

I have good dealers for the "big 3" near by, but the Kubota dealer would barely budge on his prices, and the Deere dealer only sells John Deeres. So, I ended up bringing a shiney, new blue tractor.:)

/ Comparing the orange forums to the green forums. #17  
DiezNutz said:
You hit the nail on the head. It's like Hondas. Hondas are fine cars, don't get me wrong, but I've always said "Hondas are cars for people that don't know anything about cars", because (a) everybody they know has one and (b)they're perceived to be a good car. (You can also substitute Toyota for Honda in the above). Lemmings, if you will.

Thats funny right there I don't care who you are.

/ Comparing the orange forums to the green forums. #18  
hazmat said:
How is that shifty? He is right by the way - Deere's greatest product is their brand.

Thank you.

There is no doubt it sells them many tractors. There is nothing wrong with this, but its simple fact. "E-Hydro" , "On-Ramp" , "I-Match". None of it is anything thats not been offered by other companies long before Deere picked it up. They just put a snazzy name to it and some people start seeing some level of artificial value in it. All big companies do this. I know when New Holland prices their tractors they look at the featuers they are offering and ask themsevles what the customer will pay - not what a fair profit is. Not to say that people are not getting what their paying for. Deere makes a fine tractor and backs it up with an experienced dealer network and good parts support. Price is not everything, be it high or low. There are many things to consider.

You can throw alot of other brands into this pile. In my non-tractor life I do alot of profesional audio / multimedia and stuff. You can put Sony, Dell, and especialy Bose in this same catageory. They make okay stuff, but a vast majority of their product is sold on their reputation.

/ Comparing the orange forums to the green forums. #19  
My experience between green and orange began the day I walked into the green dealership and had a salesman tell me directly to my face that the little green tractor he was pushing me towards wasn't made by the Japanese! I left there soon after that and stopped at the orange tractor store and signed on the dotted line.
Basically, if that was how the relationship was going to start out between the dealer and myself, I wanted a better quality of dealership...........and hence the product.
Don't even speak of shifty things. You have no idea of what you are saying when it comes to that............

/ Comparing the orange forums to the green forums. #20  
I also wouldn't try to defend JD stuff in the Kubota forums :D